D&D 5E Designing Monsters for 5E (Hobgoblin)

ren1999

First Post
Simple Version:

Whip Grapple: For 5e, you'd want to treat it like a spell -- so use an attack roll opposed by a defensive roll by the target. (Dex vs Dex)
Hit: damage (maybe 1d4) and the target is grabbed and immobilized (Can't Move) without escaping the grab (Str vs Str or Dex vs Dex)

A little more Complicated:
Whip Grapple: For 5e, you'd want to treat it like a spell -- so use an attack roll opposed by a defensive roll by the target. (Dex vs Dex)
Hit: damage (maybe 1d4) and the target is grabbed and can't move further away from the attacker without escaping the grab (Str vs Str or Dex vs Dex).

Additional Attack action:
Whip Drag: Make a Str vs Str test to force the grabbed target to move closer to the attacker, or to move at half speed and pull the target along with the attacker.

-rg

I love it! I love the idea of having Dex versus Dex for example. I really want to see this.

ren1999

First Post
Taking some of your ideas, how about this?

Hobgoblin Slaver (str+2)
Hobgoblin Crossbowman (dex+2)
Hobgoblin Leader/Cleric (int+2)
Class: Fighter 1 (hp=1d12)
AC: 12 (base 10+thick fur+2)
Attack roll: whip 1d20+dex mod(+1) versus foe's dex/condition: immobile can't move 1d4+dex mod(+1) damage/roll str vs str or dex vs dex to get free
move 25' (5 squares)
XP: 1xp for this encounter
Alignment: chaotic-evil
Type: large humanoid (beastman)
Habitat: Hot or warm plains
No.Encountered: 1d6 (pack), 5 packs in lair
Treasure: standard, 5x standard + 1 time double in lair
A pack is lead by a Hobgoblin Master-Slaver (ActAs Fighter LVL 2). In addition to slavers and master-slavers, a lair also has a Hobgoblin Warlord (ActAs: Fighter LVL 4) and a Shaman (ACt AS: Cleric LVL 3).

Hobgoblin Slaver stats
str18(+4) <-- bonus applied to strength
con13(+1)
dex13(+1) (hide +3, move silently +3)
int10(0)
wis12(+1) (listen spot +2, )
cha8(-1)
languages Common, Goblin
gear/spells: whip, light steel shield, longsword, studded leather armor
History:
The Hobgoblin is a stronger and taller version of the goblin. They are the antithesis of the elf and kill elves on sight. They enslave humans, dwarves, gnomes, and the like.

Last edited:

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Just so long as the victim can try to make the Whip Drag attack back at the hobgoblin. It's an iconic thing for big tough fighters and barbarians to do. As my fortune cookie said about grappling: "Turn about is fair play..."

I think that's fine, but unlike the target, the hobgoblin is not attached to the whip -- he should have the option of letting go rather than being dragged.

Of course, that means you've disarmed the Hobgoblin. Does he have another whip? Maybe he does, and he just draws another one and makes his next attack....

Or maybe the hobgoblin has lost so many whips lately his mom put his new one on mitten strings, and he really IS attached to it, and he can't let go..... ;)

Anyway -- your point is good, and it's very iconic, but I think rabbit holes like this is why we saw so few effects like this in 4e monster design -- there were a few (goblin harpooner, for one) but they were not a success, in part because 4e was so carefully written that we expected to see every possibility in the rules. I think one of the strengths of DDN would be trying to move away from such carefully codified rules so that the DM and player can invent stuff as they go.

-rg

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=150]Radiating Gnome[/MENTION]
Your point about 4e's precision rules language is well received. Heh, anytime *I* run hobgoblin slaver in a game, your barbarian can wrap the whip around his forearm and yank the hobgoblin about like a sack of potatoes until he lets go of the whip ;) Deal?

Remove ads