Desktop site on Chrome for Android

darkbard

Legend
I hate hate hate the interface of the mobile settings for Android. In the past, I figured out a way to default to the desktop settings but ever since I cleared my cache on my phone recently, I must manually convert to desktop interface each time I visit the site (assuming, as I do, that I don't want to simply use the desktop interface for all my browsing). What's more, the desktop display is different when I apply it than the display on saved bookmarks (some of which are already in desktop format).

Any ideas how to permanently save my settings for this site to desktop so I don't need to switch back and forth several times per day? And any ideas on why I get different versions of the desktop display? Google searches have been no help to me.

Thanks if you can help with this!

darkbard

Legend
What do you mean by different desktop displays?

I think the "latest news" scroll on the right displays when I switch to desktop now, but it's not there when I go to a bookmarked page? But maybe that's only the case when I'm going to bookmarked Subscriptions page?

EDIT: In any event, the page used to autosize to the posts themselves, but now I have to enlarge to exclude the "latest posts" etc.

darkbard

Legend
Hunh. Turns out there is a toggle switch at the bottom of the page that I didn't see previously that switches to desktop mode via the site itself rather than via Chrome's toggle. Problem solved! (Do note, [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION], that the interface is slightly different depending on how desktop mode is applied.)

CapnZapp

Legend
I gave up on trying to use forum sites (like this one) on my mobile. Reading is passable, but actually posting is a nightmare.

OTOH, ENWorld has an app, which (I believe?) is a skinned version of the regular Tapatalk app. While ads are unavoidable, it does make using the site (reading AND posting) a relative breeze!

darkbard

Legend
I gave up on trying to use forum sites (like this one) on my mobile. Reading is passable, but actually posting is a nightmare.

OTOH, ENWorld has an app, which (I believe?) is a skinned version of the regular Tapatalk app. While ads are unavoidable, it does make using the site (reading AND posting) a relative breeze!

I could be mistaken--it's been forever since I tried the app--but I'm pretty sure it's the sameor similiar format/interface as the nondesktop version I decry in my initial post.

CapnZapp

Legend
I could be mistaken--it's been forever since I tried the app--but I'm pretty sure it's the sameor similiar format/interface as the nondesktop version I decry in my initial post.
Nope :) Not in the EN World app I'm using anyways. It's a completely different GUI than the regular site (mobile skinned or no).

Do note I had to go through some acrobatics to install it on my phone, though. Basically, no amount of searching found me the app. I could find it on my Windows desktop, but not in my phone's Google Play Store. Can't remember specifics about how I got it sorted in the end, unfortunately (when I recently upgrade phones, I could just install it from the list of apps the Play Store remembered I had installed on the old phone)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases