• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deuce Traveler's Sewer Rats

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Despite his mediocre performance, Hardnose receives the most applause and the highest bidding of the night, and is won by a somewhat tallish goblin with a yellow hat with pink flowers. He moves off the stage and joins her for the dinner banquet, where she smiles tells him good job and gently taps his arm. "So where are you from, dearie?" She asked while they waited for the rest of his team to do their performance on stage.

ghostcat

First Post
Hardnose may be a Paladin but he doesn't have his head stuck up somewhere dark like the Paladins of Heironeous. Thus he has no qualms about lying, especially for a good cause.

So Hardnose tells his dinner companion about his childhood growing up on a farm, far to the south. He tells her how the farm could barely support his parents and seven children and that they often went hungry. He concludes his tale by saying "I have no intentions of living at a subsistence level all my life, so I left home as soon as I felt I could support myself. Since then, I have been travelling, doing a bit of this and a bit of that looking for my chance. Unfortunately I has yet to find it."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The woman nods sagely, "So well spoken and such a gentleman. Well, I know times be hard right now, but you keep the faith and I'm sure the divine will turn things into your favor."

OOC: If no one else volunteers to perform I will assume that only a minimum of effort is conducted from the other PCs.

Fenris

Adventurer
Fergus gets up for his turn and performs feats of strength, one handed push ups, inverted pushups and lifting various objects around the stage including three kobolds at once.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Fergus' performance elicits some cheers also, but more for his mighty effort and large failure than from any kind of true feat of strength. A few silver pieces are bet on Fergus and a kobold near-sighted kobold woman with a pink hat has the honor of having Fergus join her for the banquet.

Taking a cue from Fergus and Hardnose, Gunzuul decides to give one last try in entertaining the crowd. He animates a woman's hat and causes it to dance on the stage in beat with the music. The crowd goes wild. Women begin to bid highly for the honor to have Gunzuul sit with him. At the end of the hectic bidding, he is finally won by a better-dressed goblin woman with a truly lavish hat (nearly half her size) for ten gold pieces. Her name is Miss Copperworth, aka Coppie.

Gunzuul's performance closes out the charity bidding, but sets the cheerful tone of the rest of the night. He receives plenty of smiles and nods as the party takes it easy throughout the next stage of dinner, which is mostly tasty soups, hard bread and cheap wine. For the closing part of the night, Mr. Sabatini gets on stage and speaks while the creature hidden underneath some cloth and on a cart is wheeled out. "What an excellent night we have had in such wonderful company. Ladies, thank you all for coming out here. We are going to end the night with my presentation. I give you the future of our community!" So saying the cloth is removed from the cart, which reveals a giant rat inside a metal and glass cage. The nasty creature tries to gnaw and claw itself out. Gasps are heard amongst the crowd.

"My men have found several of these mutant creatures in the sewers recently. We have no idea where they came from, but we are worried that if they breed out of control they may become a threat to the District in which we live. But, I believe we can make this threat turn to our advantage. One of the more difficult facts for us to face in our community is a lack of access to food. We live in cramped conditions, have no access to farmland, and cannot sell the few food products we can make without business licensing requirements that many of us cannot afford. I intend to get around this system by having my men go into the Sewers and round up every one of these giant rats that they can find and start giant rat breeding farms here in our community. This will provide a decent working job for our young directionless youth. It will also provide a cheap source of food for our neighborhoods, a business that I admit I will run for a slight profit. You know me and can trust me. All I ask is a small donation tonight so I can outfit my men properly to start this dangerous work. Once begun, I believe we can have a safe, beneficial and profitable business for our community set-up in under a month. I do ask that you try to keep this hush-hush during that time. There are certain interests in this city that would object to our venture and would like to make it their own and outside our community's control. The food is not only safe, but quite tasty. If you have noticed a few bits of meat in your soup it's from a giant rat that we just cooked up fresh this morning."

Mr. Sabatini's charity does quite well because of both the positive mood of the crowd and because of his reasoning. At the end of the night he declares he has enough money to start his venture. After the night ends (and the three of you promise to meet your elderly ladies in the morning for some yard and house work), Mr. Sabatini approaches you and gives each of you a vigorous shaking of your hand, giving a longer smile to Gunzuul. "Lads, those other boys were disappointments but you really gave it your all and came through for me today. I want to pay you back. Please ask any boon of me and I'll give it if it's in my power to do so."

Last edited:

Remove ads