Deuce Traveler's Sewer Rats

ghostcat

First Post
Hardnose is not happy when Sir Silvershield casually mentions that he considers this a suicide mission. He may have dedicated his life to upholding law and order but he has no desire to end it prematurely. Still he has a good team to guard his back, so they should have a good chance of returning alive.

"I don't suppose that delivering the summons via a bolt between his eyes would be acceptable?" he says. More to amuse his companions than as a serious question. Seeing the look on Sir Silvershield's face he rapidly continues "I thought not. On a more serious note. Given that he is going to resist, does he need to be conscious when we deliver the summons or can we put it in his unconscious hands? Finally having delivered the summons, do we need to keep him alive?" Hardnose suddenly realises what he has implied and continues "Assuming he is still concious and resisting of course."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"I heard about your trouble with the Union recently, which is why I thought you'd appreciate this mission. This is an operation for the Guild, not the Union, and the Guild is normally more straight forward in their rewards. The Thieves Guild considers the Union to be nothing more than unscrupulous muggers and avoids conducting any work for them when it can be avoided. As for the use of violence, I would prefer if you did not initiate a battle. However, as your superior officer I do recognize your right to self-defense. If attacked, do what you must up to and including the use of lethal force. My secretary and assistant, Artemesia, can vouch for my clearing of your co-workers in similar past incidents."

[OMENRPG]Ben

First Post
With that, Chernguk seems satisfied with Silvershield and nods to him in agreement. He simply starts maneuvering the simple mechanisms on his crossbow, his eyes flicking quickly from member to member as they speak. "When should we leave?" he asks with a slight gurgle, opening his mouth several times before actually uttering anything. He clears his throat from its collected gunk due to absence of speech for so long.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
"Sounds easy enough. Get in, deliver the papers, call in the attack, stay alive."

Needles likes the thought of delivering the papers on the end of a dagger, and wonders just how many ways could the group explain the leader and his numerous wounds that he would likely succumb to.

"I assume you have dealt with him before? Care to give us any tips on what he favors as far as combat goes? Does he prefer magical or martial combat? Anything you can warn us about would only help you in this being a successful mission."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Sir Silvershield stares lost in thought for a moment as his eyes fall upon a disgusting smear on the wall near Pickwick. He shakes himself from the recent distraction and answers, "I have a package with everything you will need for the mission. They are mostly maps of a path drawn out for you and to the building where 'Jimmy the Fish' will be. I've never dealt with him before, but I would suggest the direct approach. Everyone knows that the criminal element is normally cowardly and dumb. It should be a cakewalk. Start off late in the afternoon and try to make it to the location by an hour after nightfall. Take this package to Artemesia, as she can look it over and help you plan in case you are unsure of yourselves and want to avoid the direct approach." He says the last part with barely contained arrogance and slides a large, sealed envelope to you.

The group leaves after excusing themselves and heads back to Artemesia's office. You notice that another move has occurred on the white and black chessboards. Artemesia is beating her opponent on the black game board, but losing on the white.

She upends the maps and a large coin from the envelope and you as a group lean over to look at the items. The large coin has a picture of a black bird on each side, and you recognize it as the magical token that Silvershield mentioned, which will signal him if you are attacked by the mob boss and need him arrested. The maps lay out the paths you must follow in order to reach the hall under the Slums.

"A cakewalk he says? You're going to need to purchase some equipment and plan well for this. This pathway looks to be the quickest and perhaps only way to reach the meeting place without running into any guards. It closely parallels the walkways that pedestrians will have to travel in order to move back and forth from the slums and to this large room. Hmmm... if I remember right, this room is actually and ancient, sunken meeting hall from a few hundred years ago. The slums are built on poor ground that has a tendency to sink slowly over the years. This path is only a couple miles long, but it takes you past three obstacles you will have to overcome."

"First, you will be travelling mostly through one of the smallest of tunnels: a sewer ventilation duct. Not a problem for a Sewer Rat, except for this gap where an aqueduct runs through. The duct openings are about twenty feet above the aqueduct, but the aqueduct walkways will likely have a lot of foot traffic since it sounds as if there will be a lot of movement between now and the time of the meeting. Firing a rope or getting a ladder across might be a solution. So might be climbing down one duct exit and climbing up to the other duct's entrance, but stealth will be a must since there are likely to be guards and workers going to and fro at random intervals."

"Second, you will have to leave the ducts and enter and descend a vertical shaft to the second sewer level. The shaft is 30 feet deep, measured from where you will enter and to the bottom. This is an old shaft used to collect and run off rain water and other questionable matter from the slum gutters. It will likely be quite slippery and is lacking in steps and handholds. It is almost perfectly circular. If you do slip and fall, you will plunge into the flow of Pipe R-4-X, which is a swift flowing expulsion pipe, pushing out material out of the city and into the bay that leads to our docks."

"Which takes us to your third obstacle, Pipe R-4-X itself. It seems as if Sir Silvershield expects you to gently enter the water-filled piping and work your way through it and underneath the Meeting Hall. It looks as if Pipe R-4-X is entirely full of water, except every fifteen feet, where there is grating underneath the walkways to the Meeting Hall and eventually into the Hall itself. Each grate is about two feet square, which might be able to fit up to two of you at a time so that you can catch some air and use the metal bars of the grate to hold on to so that water in the pipe doesn't sweep you away. If you are swept away, I hope you can hold your breath all the way to the docks. It seems there are five grates in between the vertical shaft that drops into Pipe R-4-X and the sixth grate, which leads into the Hall where you are to deliver the summons. Hmmm... you'll need something to waterproof those documents. At the sixth and final grate, you will somehow apply enough force to lift the ancient, corroded, and heavy grate up and to the side, while at the same time holding onto same said grate and while floating mostly submerged in fast flowing water. An interesting physics trick, but if you can pull it off you will have an entrance into the back corner of the Meeting Hall where you can deliver the summons."

"Finally, most of this piping and duct work you'll be travelling through is only three to four feet in diameter. You'll be going through one at a time, though there should be enough room to switch places when needed."

Last edited:

ghostcat

First Post
"Piece of cake indeed" says Hardnose. Sarcasm heavy on his voice. "Thank you for the heads up Artemesia. I really don't know what we will do without you." he continues. This time his voice is tinged with respect.

Addressing the others he says "Right lads. Sounds to me this job needs rope and lots of it. Probably 200 feet maybe 250 feet just to be on the safe side. So who has rope. I have 50 feet.

As for pipe Pipe R-4-X. How about using ropes to stop been swept away. If we can attach one end and have some kind of float on the other we should have a nice taught rope which will stretch pass the grating to the hall."

[sblock=OOC]Hardnose is going to get some Leather armour, to eliminate the ACP on swim.[/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The evening and next morning passes quickly pouring over maps and practicing moves. As no one is eager to enter cold, flowing water, the simulation of the last challenge is skipped, though there are several attempts at creating different loops around the waist of each Sewer Rat and different knots in order to see which hold best.

By afternoon the group skips out in order to get some food and drink before shopping and all meeting back at Artemesia's office. Not everyone is there, however. An emergency occurred with another Sewer Rat group who was short-manned and had been assigned to help plug a water main break, so Chernguk had to be transferred. Although he wasn't pleased about leaving the group, he didn't seem to mind leaving this mission.

Hardnose was also missing, and after some time Artemesia decided to start the final meeting without him. As she opened the maps one last time, the door to her office slammed open and in walked Hardnose, taking slow, tentative steps inside while half covered in 300 feet of newly purchased rope, a suit of leather in his arms, and six new sunrods tied to his belt.

He looked like he could use some help.

Boddynock

First Post
As Hardnose makes his appearance, Gunzuul bursts out laughing.

"Ah mate,"
he chuckles, "you look like ... well, I don't know what you look like. A turtle caught in a net, perhaps. Here, give me some of that rope."

The dwarf sets about distributing the coils of rope around his body, making sure that it all sits well so as not to impair his mobility. He ends up taking 200 feet of hemp.

The others notice that he, too, is wearing leather armor, and that his crossbow and his beloved keg are missing.

ghostcat

First Post
Staggering into the meeting, Hardnose says "Supplies. Who wants to take some."

Having dumped the rope and sunrods in a pile on the floor, he proceeds to change into the leather armour.

Remove ads