• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deva or Aasimar?

Deva or Aasimar?

• Deva

Votes: 189 67.0%
  • Aasimar

Votes: 93 33.0%

Serendipity

Explorer
I do think that the 4e aasimar/deva will be somewhat different from earlier editions (like the reincarnation stuff), but I can guess what the designers were thinking. Aasimar seems to be a somewhat unpopular and hard to pronounce name; since the aasimon/angels were reconceptualized, the word deva was just lying around waiting to also be repurposed.

*nodnod*
It just seems odd to me - I've never in decades of playing met anyone who mispronounced Aasimar....or Deva for that matter. :)
Digging what little I've heard about the new Aasimar flavor/fluff so far, much more than the Tiefling.

Derro

First Post
What was the aasimar's first appearance? I remember the tiefling from 2e Planescape but not the aasimar. Were they added in 3e or was it some 2e supplement that I never bothered with?

Shroomy

Adventurer
What was the aasimar's first appearance? I remember the tiefling from 2e Planescape but not the aasimar. Were they added in 3e or was it some 2e supplement that I never bothered with?

I'm pretty sure they first appeared in the Planescape MC Vol 2.

Serendipity

Explorer

Planewalker's Handbook IIRC - I know they were in other 2e (Planescape) products but that's the earliest that springs to mind.

caudor

Adventurer
"Dee-va" is the sound that came to my mind when I first saw the word. Images from the movie 'The Fifth Element' immediately came to mind.

Of course, now I know to pronounce it as day-va after reading this thread.

I still have no idea have to pronounce tiefling. Tie-fling or Teaf-ling? Who knows.

Anyway, I'm drifting. I like deva better than aasimar. Aasimar just sounded...made up.

Green Knight

First Post
"Dee-va" is the sound that came to my mind when I first saw the word. Images from the movie 'The Fifth Element' immediately came to mind.

Heh, I'm gonna make a blue-skinned Deva Bard named Plavalaguna. :D

Anyway, what stats do people think they should have? Personally I'd like to see them closer to their 2E versions, with Str +2, Wis +2 as opposed to their 3E versions, with Wis +2, Cha +2. Agree? Disagree? Think they should have some other bonus?

That One Guy

First Post
C) Is pronounceable without sounding like you're trying to curse. ;) (It's "day-vuh," for the record, not "diva" like Mariah Carey.)
I actually pronounced it however I wanted to at the moment. I used to say 'diva'. Then for a while I said it correctly. Somewhere around reading Aspirin I started saying Deva like the word Devil. I didn't like how that rolled, so I ended up back w/ the (evidentially) correct way! Huzzah me!

As far as the poll goes, I really couldn't care. Celestial-touched things never really interested me. Unless they were hounds.

Last edited:

Mighty Veil

First Post
I like Maiar or even more Valar, but I understand why those LotR copyrighted names can't be used. I actually like aasimar more than tiefling (don't like the name tiefling). I like aasimar more than deva, even though I don't know the names background. Was it a play on another word?

Remove ads