• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Developer Talk = Gospel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Lower hitpoints, low AC, poor combat ability, reliance on non-magical means to survive.

Those things would matter if you were playing a solo game. But when you have a party to fall back on, they matter very little. They aren't balancing factors. If you fall in combat, there is a good chance your allies will be there to save you. So there isn't much risk vs. reward there.

Essentially what this says is "If my character doesn't die off between levels 1 - 7 I am going to be very powerful". So either you have a dead character, or ("Hurray, you made it!") you have a powerful character. You may have a DM that is very generous, and doesn't kill your character off when they fall unconcious and are at the enemies mercy, in which case, again there is no risk. Or, you might have a fair and balanced DM and if you die, you die. So then what? Make a new mage and start all over again?

Then you have the campaigns where you are only doing a one or two shot and are all low level, at which point, a Mage isn't worth playing because they are crappy at the low levels, so why play one?

Then you have the campaigns where you are playing Epic levels where, you'd be silly NOT to play a Mage (you and the other 3 - 4 PCs).

I think it is much better to balance the game so it is fun at all levels, and not too unbalanced for one class over the other.

Psychic Robot

Banned
Banned
I suppose we will have to agree to disagree, then. I understand from where you're coming, though, and I can see why that would be important for some people.

Psychic Robot

Banned
Banned
Why? And how does this make wizards more worthy of being unstoppable more powerful at higher levels?
Because magic is crazy and off-the-wall, helicopters with guns flying into swimming pools and shooting at rocket cars. Anyone can swing a sword.

jensun

First Post
You're right. One person did it and the rest played follow-the-leader.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Psychic Robot is not a troll

I say again, Psychic Robot is not a troll.

For those not able to acces The Gaming Den:

Once upon a time, I wished that divine flames would roar down from the heavens and consume anyone on 4Chan. I now wish to redirect those flames to ENWorld.

It just makes me want to cry. These people...they aren't really people, I don't think. I think they must be WotC robots disguised as humans.

eamon

Explorer
So, riddle me this: why is this occurring? Why is what the developers say considered "gospel"?

To an extent, this is bound to be a temporary artifact on these boards due to the novelty of the game. We were all highly curious about 4e, and information came from the devs - so people have grown accustomed to listening what they have to say. As the amount of released material grows, each new release will be less earth-shattering and we'll listen less closely.

But for this short period of time, they have our attention :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads