• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Developer Talk = Gospel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RigaMortus2

First Post
I'm also okay with wizards being more powerful than other characters. Not to the extent that they were in 3e, but more powerful nonetheless. I know that many people will disagree with this sentiment, but I'm fine with the guy who studies magic to be able to do more than the guy who swings a sword. The magic guy's early life is a lot harder than the sword-swinger's, but his long, hard road pays off when he can do all sorts of crazy things.

Can you explain this statement in a little more detail? What, specifically, do you feel should make a mages "early life" more difficult in order for the payoff to be worth it at later levels? Because this just doesn't make much sense to me. Can you list some examples of what you mean by this?

Psychic Robot

Banned
Banned
Can you explain this statement in a little more detail? What, specifically, do you feel should make a mages "early life" more difficult in order for the payoff to be worth it at later levels? Because this just doesn't make much sense to me. Can you list some examples of what you mean by this?
Lower hitpoints, low AC, poor combat ability, reliance on non-magical means to survive.

Jhulae

First Post

Why? Really?

1) Because not everybody plays up to the top levels, meaning the wizard never 'gets the payoff'.

2) Some DMs play favorites (either intentionally or unintentionally), and the supposed 'balancing factor' of being wimpy at low levels becomes a non-issue because the wizards aren't killed when the enemies have them dead to right, etc...

3) Because for the people who do go to 20th or Epic, the wizards become the ultimate class, outshining everyone else and ultimately rendering them useless.

And for point 3, I don't care if wizards can outshine everyone, in fact there are games that are based around that whole concept (Ars Magica). But, if the game implies that every class is balanced and/or viable for every level, when such is not the truth, that's bad game design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads