• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Diablo III hits early 2012

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Wasn't aware RealID got dumped. If true, that's great news!

Unless it's changed, this is how it worked as of the FAQ released last month:

1. A fixed transaction fee (which you get charged even if the item doesn't sell)
2. Another transaction fee if the item sells
3. Yet another fee to withdraw the money from your BattleNet account to a bank account etc. to actually use the money.

I'd like to link to the FAQ, but it doesn't seem to be loading on my computer no matter how many times I try. So, there's this for reference, I suppose: Auction House FAQ - Diablo Wiki

I mostly got my info a while ago from this thread: So, that Diablo 3... - CAD Forums

Here's "The Cynical Brit" absolutely RIPPING into the whole auction house and online only issues. Runs on very long, but great rant:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBrESZJlNvQ]The Mailbox 01/08/11 - YouTube[/ame]

Wayside

Explorer
b) Like every other Blizzard game since 2002*. People who regularly engage in PC gaming yet regularly have no internet access are an increasingly small corner case, and probably just aren't worth the time for them to adapt all their features for.
Warcraft 3 isn't limited to online play, so it's late 2004, not 2002.

Anyway, all this means is that pirates will be able to play Diablo 3 offline while paying players will not.

GreyLord

Legend
b) Like every other Blizzard game since 2002*. People who regularly engage in video gaming offline are an increasingly small corner case. Those 4Billion 990 Million individuals just aren't worth the time for them to adapt all their features for in relation to the 8-10 million that game online.

*They had an offline 'guest' mode to Starcraft 2 on release, but have done away with that for Diablo 3 in favor of having an always on connection in order to play Single Player. In addition Jay Wilson, in charge of Diablo 3 stated that you are playing Diablo, Diablo 2 and when it comes out...Diablo 3 wrong if you are playing Single Player. Only someone insane would do so in his opinion. They should play the way he wants them to, which is Multiplayer.

There were a few problems with your stataments, I corrected your statement for you.

Anyway, all this means is that pirates will be able to play Diablo 3 offline while paying players will not.

I'm not certain about that as of right now. I think with a LOT of info server side, short of hacking the actual Diablo 3 server, they'll have a hard time putting out an accurate pirated version.

Wayside

Explorer
I'm not certain about that as of right now. I think with a LOT of info server side, short of hacking the actual Diablo 3 server, they'll have a hard time putting out an accurate pirated version.
How much of the game is handled server-side remains to be seen, but even World of Warcraft is widely pirated.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
If those 4.99 billion people actually were going to buy D3, they'd certainly have an offline mode. But pretending that every single person in the world is likely to buy a clickfest dungeon crawling game is hyperbole of the worst and most excessive order.

Bear in mind that Blizzard is, generally, Not Stupid. They're not going to *IN GENERAL* antagonize their player base unnecessarily. They've had a few missteps, true (which, SFAICT, are either blinders on the part of individuals at Blizzard, or listening too closely to players). But, in general, they live up to their reputation of delivering high-quality gaming.

Also bear in mind that the economy in D2 was, for all intents and purposes, a joke. Widespread item duplication and hacking made any amount of gold meaningless, and to my understanding, playing with someone who'd hacked the game was common, unless you just never did online play at all. Indications are that the hacking and duping *really* irritated them, and I know they're pissed about gold sellers in WoW (since the primary current method of getting gold to sell, account hacking, directly increases their customer service costs).

Finally, remember that most gamers are likely to already have high-speed internet that's always on. I have a cable modem, and it's on all the time, even when the PC is off. There are, of course, likely to be exceptions, who have dial-up (especially if they're rural and don't have any option for high speed), or who have weird download limits, or similar things. But those are going to be, as Impeesa said, corner cases, and very much a minority.

They almost certainly, though, have sufficient market surveillance that they know how many people are both likely to want to play the game, and are likely going to be able to play online all the time, and are likely satisfied that the two overlap enough that requiring online play to ensure as fair a play experience as possible isn't going to cost them too many sales.

Brad

Impeesa

Explorer

By "every one since 2002", I meant the last one to not require an internet connection came out in 2002, and everything since then did - thus, "every one since 2002".

There were a few problems with your stataments, I corrected your statement for you.

It's tough to tell, but you seem to be trying to make two points - first, that a number somewhere south of the number of WoW subscriptions alone represents the entire online gamer market, and that pretty much the entire remainder of the world's population must therefore represent the single-player PC gamer market, and second, that Blizzard is not allowed to design a multiplayer game and then say "you should play our game in multiplayer." I would contest both, to be honest. To be fair, I would contest the latter less - the other Diablo games had single player modes that worked just fine. But this isn't really about single vs. multiplayer, it's about online vs. offline. And I can understand the people who say "I won't play it because I can't be online," that's fair, though they are very few in number. What I really don't get are the people who say "I won't play it because I couldn't play it if I weren't online" despite probably having always-on broadband for the last decade (there may be no such people participating in this particular discussion, but one gets the impression there are many of them elsewhere). And if Blizzard imagines the single-player mode of Diablo 3 to be less like D1/D2 and more like solo questing in WoW, where the online features are still an integral part of the game, more power to them.

That sort of leads to something else, too. There's no doubt that part of Blizzard's motivation here is copy protection. But unlike Sony or Ubisoft or whoever is crippling drivers and making their legitimate wares unusable today, Blizzard is approaching the problem with pretty much all carrot, no stick. I figure, if a company is going to actively defend their right to get paid for their works, that's the way to do it.

Tangent: people tend to pirate media for two reasons - price and convenience. It's hard to beat free, but the latter's a big point too. Aside from torrent downloads being fast and convenient, often DRM hiccups on games give people problems and drive them to pirate the game just to play something they paid for legitimately. And when they do finally get the game going, nothing is lost. Diablo 3, on the other hand, will have tangible features that many people will use, and that the pirate servers simply will not be able to offer (particularly cross-game friends list and cash auction house), in addition to probably requiring either special configuration or locally-run server emulation software. The non-pirate experience will be, on average, demonstrably better, instead of worse. And then... I did say it's hard to beat free, but it's not impossible. I fully expect that anyone budget-conscious should have no problem at least recouping the purchase price of the game through the cash auction house. The moment you hit positive expected value on your investment in the game just through selling stuff you picked up during normal gameplay, you have beat free. Pirate servers will be fragmented, so I doubt any sort of strong cash-based item market will spring up around them. In short, I think Diablo 3 will actually compete strongly on both points that typically swing in favor of piracy, and that it may not be all that widely pirated at all.

SSquirrel

Explorer

There are problems with your correction. Current estimates actually have the world population cracking 7 billion this year. Mid 2010 we were already over 6.8B.

Wasn't aware RealID got dumped. If true, that's great news!

Unless it's changed, this is how it worked as of the FAQ released last month:

1. A fixed transaction fee (which you get charged even if the item doesn't sell)
3. Yet another fee to withdraw the money from your BattleNet account to a bank account etc. to actually use the money.

There are battle net ids that you use to login to your game, but real ids never got instituted. There was an announcement that they were going to do it, then about a week of hysteria, then they announced they weren't doing it. It was pretty quick really.

Yes, if you play WoW, the first 2 are how things work in WoW w/ingame gold. Putting up an auction costs money. How much depends on how long it will be up for, quality of the item, etc. This money is lost regardless. Then when the sale occurs, you gain 95% of the sale price of the item. The other 5% goes off into the ether as gold removed from the economy.

Other games like Second Life, EVE Online and Project Entropia have real cash economies and they have fees for removing funds out to real banks. Everything you are listing is actually business as usual. Nowhere are these fees at all unreasonable in their amounts. Why don't we wait and see some more concrete information on percentages and such. I haven't even heard of the AHes (in game gold or real money) even being active in the game yet.

Kzach

Banned
Banned

So it's basically just like e-Bay and PayPal except for imaginary items?

With the online play aspect, are you forced to multi-player or can you just play solo like the previous Diablo's? If you just play solo then I don't see how the AH thing even matters. Don't like it, don't use it.

SSquirrel

Explorer
So it's basically just like e-Bay and PayPal except for imaginary items?

With the online play aspect, are you forced to multi-player or can you just play solo like the previous Diablo's? If you just play solo then I don't see how the AH thing even matters. Don't like it, don't use it.

My understanding is that the AH will be there in single player games and it will be there in 8 player games. Use it or not, you'll still be required to be online always when playing D3. I'd imagine it's like D2. If you want to play alone, create a game w/a name and password so other people won't join unless you want them in and they know the code.

Yeah, your summation of the AH seems accurate.

Thanee

First Post
Totally looking forward to it! :D

And I'm glad they are, at least, trying to keep the cheaters at bay. D2 was horribly broken because of them (basically you could only play in closed games with people you know). Hopefully they will succeed this time.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads