Diablo IV

So did anyone but me actually play this?

It's been a sort of mixed bag in my opinion, like an 8/10 game with potential to either be a 10/10 or 6/10 game a few years from now.
Ah! I missed this back in June.
I ended up pre-ordering it because I liked what I saw in the beta. But unfortunately, the experience fell short for me and I lost the energy to continue after the campaign (plus a small bit of play afterwards - I think I was level 50 or so and had a few paragon points). I can elaborate if needed, but since this was a while back and you might have moved on: the short version is that I felt it was a decent game, but with a lot of pacing problems, very uneven quality in writing and a mid game that already feels grindy. I would rank it probably 7/10 and typically recommend waiting until it drops to about half price if people haven't played it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I had been under the impression that they would be adding substantial new content in patches. I hope it's not just seasonal content (ooh, a new boss!) and paid expansions.

My current understanding is that patches do not add new content, only bug fixes and balancing corrections. New content seems to be added only via the season passes - now I don't want to rule out that new stuff gets added to the eternal realm from these, but so far it seems that you to play on a season realm and level up a new character if you want to play the new content.

Woof, it looks like you're right: What You Can Expect from Diablo IV’s Post-Launch Experiences

I guess that means that, once I finish the story, I get a lot of my free time back, if seasons are just going to be some new drops and a single new boss fight.
Yeah the expectation further before launch, that the devs encouraged even after the bit you link, was that they'd be doing Path of Exile-style seasons, which are pretty major things, often involving adding sizeable chunks of content (some of which is retained in the longer-term), with usually multiple skills/supports (equivalent to like, a couple of new skills for each class in D4 terms), and often a whole bunch of new loot (far more than D4 is adding per season).

Now it appears we're looking at something that's more like Diablo Immortal or later Diablo 3, and they'd specifically said they were doing more than that.

To be fair, one of the devs who left towards the end of D4's development did say "Blizzard's content pipeline for D4 is troubled and they likely won't be able to deliver much for at least a year after launch" or something to that effect, but no-one was sure how serious they were.

Right now it's distinctly inferior to D3 once you've finished the story (which is a lot better than D3), in everything except graphics/sound/responsiveness. The loot is less interesting and way more annoying to obtain and maintain, the gameplay is infinitely clunkier and abilities less fun to use (generally speaking - especially as a lot of cool ones ate huge nerfs), the game is arguably more repetitive, and even if not, certainly more boring in the way it repeats. Particularly damningly, the endgame progression (Paragon) isn't even really half-baked, it presents like a system very far in Early Access with non-finalized art, designs, and so on, that needs testing and revision but Blizzard seem to treating it as if it's final! I don't think we've seen a single major revision to the Paragon boards. I can only assume either Blizzard have already given up on them and are developing a new system, or, much worse, they think they're fine.

It's genuinely sad because it is in many ways a very well-put together game. In terms of art style, animation, sound, responsiveness, performance on lower end machines and so on, it handily beats, for example, Path of Exile (less so PoE2 to judge from demos). It's also more accessible than Path of Exile. But if you played each regularly but not obsessively for a couple of months, with D4 you'd likely be bored to tears, whereas with PoE, you'd still be having fun and finding stuff out, and have a wild variety of stuff you'd barely touched.

My guess is that the persistent rumours that they took a very sharp change in direction about 12-18 months ago are correct, and basically this 5 years of art/sound/story/tech etc. with 18 months or less of game design.

Most people I know have given up on the game. Probably, it didn't help that Baldur's Gate 3 came out.
For me personally, it would need a major revision of the game to bring me back. There's just too much stuff I found annoying. Which, as Ruin Explorer points out above, is a shame. I believe there is a good game hidden in there, but I'm not sure if they are really willing to spend the effort to bring it out.

GreyLord

Legend
Most people I know have given up on the game. Probably, it didn't help that Baldur's Gate 3 came out.
For me personally, it would need a major revision of the game to bring me back. There's just too much stuff I found annoying. Which, as Ruin Explorer points out above, is a shame. I believe there is a good game hidden in there, but I'm not sure if they are really willing to spend the effort to bring it out.

So, ironically, I've been playing the New Forza Motorsport recently. It requires you to be online to play the SP game portion.

That said, I didn't really want to play Diablo 4 because it was ONLY online.

I think Diablo 4 hit hard at first, but got burned by a LOT of people who really didn't like that it was online only and so found many reasons to find fault with it. This of course got many others to notice these flaws earlier than later, and drop the game.

I see the same thing happening with Forza right now. Lots of complaints. I love the game, but I see a LOT of those that earlier expressed discontent with the SP being online that are now finding anything and everything to complain about it, that I see a similar pattern starting to arise.

I would hope that it makes game makers stop forcing SP to be online only, and actually cater a little more to the SP players...but than I can dream of Unicorns and Pegasuses being real as well these days too.

That said, I didn't really want to play Diablo 4 because it was ONLY online.

I think Diablo 4 hit hard at first, but got burned by a LOT of people who really didn't like that it was online only and so found many reasons to find fault with it. This of course got many others to notice these flaws earlier than later, and drop the game.
Actually, the online-only part doesn't bother me so much. At least not for a game like Diablo where I'm likely to play it with friends anyway.

My main complaints are:
  • The open-world approach messes up the pacing of the story (the story starts and ends strong, but most thing in between were rather mediocre)
  • The open-world approach also reduces immersion (doesn't matter so much for mid and end game, but it does for the story part)
  • The quality of the side quests is quite uneven and there are too many mindless fetch quests
  • The level scaling kills the feeling of progress (at least to a large degree, it effectively really comes down only to items)
  • The gameplay becomes stale once you hit your ultimate ability and it becomes a tedious grind already in the late mid game (around level 60 or 70)
  • On a related note: not enough variation in random world and dungeon events; not enough variation in dungeons themselves
  • There are FAR too many crafting materials and none of them really matter
And the lower half in particular is something I also saw frequently echoed in comments from friends who played.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Actually, the online-only part doesn't bother me so much. At least not for a game like Diablo where I'm likely to play it with friends anyway.

My main complaints are:
  • The open-world approach messes up the pacing of the story (the story starts and ends strong, but most thing in between were rather mediocre)
  • The open-world approach also reduces immersion (doesn't matter so much for mid and end game, but it does for the story part)
  • The quality of the side quests is quite uneven and there are too many mindless fetch quests
  • The level scaling kills the feeling of progress (at least to a large degree, it effectively really comes down only to items)
  • The gameplay becomes stale once you hit your ultimate ability and it becomes a tedious grind already in the late mid game (around level 60 or 70)
  • On a related note: not enough variation in random world and dungeon events; not enough variation in dungeons themselves
  • There are FAR too many crafting materials and none of them really matter
And the lower half in particular is something I also saw frequently echoed in comments from friends who played.
What killed the game for me were...

1. The variation of legendary item unique abilities was super limited.
2. Unique items were similarly super limited in variety.
3. The affixes were super confusing. Was +10% physical damage better or worse than +8% critical strike with earth skills. There were so many abilities limited in scope, but useful to my characters that I just sort of gave up on items.
4. There were a ton of different elixir types, but no easy way to differentiate which does what. I ended up just drinking random elixirs for the 5% xp bonus and if it randomly helped me at some point, yay!

Remove ads