• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dice roller ...

James McMurray

First Post
irony.com has a web-based die roller that is prety nice. It has the perk of being able to email die results to people if you need to. I'm not sure if they have a downloadable version of it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

RigaMortus

Explorer
Open up Excel...

Go to the first cell...

Type:

=randbetween(1,6)

That's for a d6...

=randbetween(1,20)

That's for a d20...

=randbetween(3,18)

That's for 3d6...

Figure out the pattern yet? Good luck!

MerakSpielman

First Post
Yeah, I like irony.com's utilitys. I suspect, however, that he needs an actual program, and probably won't have web-access where he's using it.

Feliks, did you get yourself a crappy old laptop and dedicate it to D&D purposes, like I did?

I'm interested in a dice-rolling program, too.

DarkMaster

First Post
James McMurray said:
irony.com has a web-based die roller that is prety nice. It has the perk of being able to email die results to people if you need to. I'm not sure if they have a downloadable version of it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.
I did my own in excel took two minutes and I can customize it to roll hundreds of dice at the same time if I want.

Feliks

First Post
I am getting a craptop to dedicate as a gaming machine. I wont have web access most of the places I will be at so I need one that works from the drive.

Going to look into that excel one but fear that the HD wont hold office on it.

jgsugden

Legend
RigaMortus said:
Open up Excel...

Go to the first cell...

Type:

=randbetween(3,18)

That's for 3d6...

Figure out the pattern yet? Good luck!
Gah! No! A random number between 3 and 18 is not the same as 3d6. The probability distribution is all wrong! Instead of a bell curve for probability, you end up with a box!

Last edited:

RigaMortus

Explorer
jgsugden said:
Gah! No! A random number between 3 and 18 is not the same as 3d6. The probability distribution is all wrong! Instead of a bell curve for probability, you end up with a box!

I know, I know... I just took the easy way out with that one... I didn't feel like typing up the whole expression... But I'll take a crack at it here, why not:

=SUM((randbetween(1,6))+(randbetween(1,6))+(randbetween(1,6)))

Is that about right?

MerakSpielman

First Post
You need:

=(randbetween(1,6)+randbetween(1,6)+randbetween(1,6))

or something...
edit: You beat me to it. But I don't think you need the SUM function unless you're pointing at other cells.

Last edited:

Remove ads