• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dice Rolling Method

Which stat generation method do you use?

• Roll 2d6+6

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Roll 3d6

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Roll 3d6 Minimum of 10

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Roll 4d6 drop the lowest

Votes: 48 61.5%
  • Point Buy with 25

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Point Buy with 28

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Point Buy with 30

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Point Buy with 32

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Point Buy with 36

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Point Buy with 38

• Point Buy with 42

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Choose whatever the heck you want for stats

• Other (Explain)

Votes: 10 12.8%

Wolfen Priest

First Post
I used to be strictly 4d6 drop lowest. Er, and then not-so-strictly when people would roll up crap characters. And then it got so that certain guys would get to re-roll their characters in a way that wasn't really fair to the other players.

Now, I'm a full-fledged point-buy person. Character creation is about the most important thing in the game (i.e., it has more impact than anything else you'll ever do in most games). Therefore, why leave everything important to chance?

When I play, which isn't that often, I want a character I made. I don't want a random character who sucks, or a random character who's great, but his teammates suck and are jealous. And worst of all, I don't want a character (like my last one) where I rolled my stats, gave the sheet to the DM, who modified (increased) them, then gave it back.

I want a character I created. It doesn't need to be organic (because it's just a game), and if I want to give my guy a higher charisma at the cost of some dexterity, then I will. I just want to have that option.

And the way my players bicker, no one has any excuses because they are all even and are all given the exact same options, no luck involved. Character creation is just too important to leave anything to chance, IMHO.

32 point buy. It works. ;)

smetzger

Explorer
2d6+1d8, 7 times keep best 6 arrange how you like.

1) Compare everyones lowest roll. Take the highest of this group. Everyone then replaces their lowest roll with this value.

2) Compare everyones highest roll. Take the highest of this group. Everyone then replaces their highest roll with this new value.

This has the advantage that unlike other random methods everyone in the party has comparable scores.
It also has the advantage that you don't have a set of stats that you always seem to drift towards.

Remove ads