Dice sales to fund Black Lives Matter

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
He was asked for his opinion, and gave it. Why the passive-aggressiveness?
Because many people have been saying on D&D Beyond threads that this somehow changes D&D. Maybe this isn't what this person specifically was doing, but a lot of people have said stuff along these lines.

Edit: I guess my point is that it's fine to share your opinion, but if the opinion is "This changes D&D or makes D&D political" is just wrong. It doesn't change anything, they're just donating to a cause. If you don't like the cause, don't buy the product. I like the cause, but personally would never spend money on digital dice.

aramis erak

Legend
Because many people have been saying on D&D Beyond threads that this somehow changes D&D. Maybe this isn't what this person specifically was doing, but a lot of people have said stuff along these lines.

Edit: I guess my point is that it's fine to share your opinion, but if the opinion is "This changes D&D or makes D&D political" is just wrong. It doesn't change anything, they're just donating to a cause. If you don't like the cause, don't buy the product. I like the cause, but personally would never spend money on digital dice.
D&D itself has been a political issue since the satanic panic of the 1980's... that it's now becoming normalized.

Support for BLM is a political issue, and tying something political to the official VTT is politicalizing that VTT and the game.

Just like how Morrus just politicised the board overall a bit by banning anti-BLM opinions from being expressed, but allowing pro-BLM ones.

It's bound to piss off a few skinheads and other bigots, in both cases.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
D&D itself has been a political issue since the satanic panic of the 1980's... that it's now becoming normalized.
Yes, but this is different. DnD Beyond is donating to Black Lives Matter, not the producers of the game. It's not politicizing the game or changing it.
Support for BLM is a political issue, and tying something political to the official VTT is politicalizing that VTT and the game.
Coronavirus response is a political issue, now. Everything's political. (DnD Beyond isn't a VTT, and it's not politicized by this. Supporting one cause does not change the game experience.)
Just like how Morrus just politicised the board overall a bit by banning anti-BLM opinions from being expressed, but allowing pro-BLM ones.
No comment. Discussing this idea is bound to be a bad idea.
It's bound to piss off a few skinheads and other bigots
That's kind of my point. Complaining about them supporting something you don't support and demanding them to support something else is very narrow-thinking, and is not going to change anything.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Support for BLM is a political issue...

Mod Note:

EN World considers treating people fairly and with compassion to be the basis of being a decent human being. That some folks think this idea is "political" is, honestly, their problem.

Anyone who is not on board with the premise that the value of a person does not come from their skin color, religious affiliation, nation of origin, sexual orientation or gender identity may be cheesed off by the site's position and inclusivity policy. They are welcome to go find a site that serves them better.

I agree. If this is political, everything is political. Human rights isn't political. Being scared of police and wanting change is not a political issue. It's a matter of right and wrong.

Everything IS political because it is the politicians who make the laws that reward or punish allied and opposed political factions. And that trickles down to everything about human society, especially when people with opposing views get together. It is how humans work. If I do not think like you, then I must be bad and wrong and need to be corrected, while I may think the same way about you. And then the politics get involved when some people see there is a path to profit and power by taking just the right viewpoint, even if it is not their personal view of things. I could say more or make comparisons, but that would be going across the "no politics" line.

By the way,

I saw this on the DnD main page and not sure how I feel about it. Not sure how long we can even talk about it without devolving and having the thread shut down.

I looked on the D&D main page, but I saw nothing about this at dnd.wizards.com and then I looked at your link and saw you were just talking about DNDBeyond. You might want to correct that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Folks, we’re not going to turn this discussion into a general discussion of politics. Support the charity (please) or don’t. If somebody manages to get a charity thread of all things closed, that’ll be their last post on this site. Don’t be that person! Thanks, folks!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I don't use D&D Beyond, but I'd love to see something like this offered on Roll20. I'd be the envy of all my virtual players if I busted out these fancy dice when everyone else is stuck with the same 32 flat colors.

I donated anyway; I don't need to get something in return for helping my fellow humans. But still: come on Roll20...get with the times. ;-)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I don't use D&D Beyond, but I'd love to see something like this offered on Roll20. I'd be the envy of all my virtual players if I busted out these fancy dice when everyone else is stuck with the same 32 flat colors.

I donated anyway; I don't need to get something in return for helping my fellow humans. But still: come on Roll20...get with the times. ;-)
Yeah pretty cool that they took the time to make a dice animation asset that does soemthing irl dice can’t do, rather than just replicating irl dice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases