D&D General Did D&D Die with TSR?

Bolares

Hero
If the game you played had D&D on the cover, then you played D&D.

Even 4e...

Is it the D&D game that would have developed if Gygax stayed in control of the IP until his death?

Probably not.

And if that doesn't bother you, it's all good.

Because what "D&D" means to people has always depended on when they got into the game.
I know, I was being sarcastic :p.

This whole discussion doesn't make sense for me. Of course D&D didn't die. Even if you only consider TSR style D&D as D&D, its alive while people want to play it. An entire TTRPG community come out of the effort to revive that style of play...

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Is there a wandering seamen table in the AD&D DMG?

I couldn't resist.

Appendix C (random encounters) in fact has a waterborne encounter table, including buccaneers, merchants, and pirates. There are different tables for freshwater, saltwater, and deep waters, and for small and large bodies of water for the first two.

And yes, the random harlot table really does exist and was a possibility under urban encounters (along with city guards and the like).

Mallus

Legend
I couldn't resist.

Appendix C (random encounters) in fact has a waterborne encounter table, including buccaneers, merchants, and pirates. There are different tables for freshwater, saltwater, and deep waters, and for small and large bodies of water for the first two.

And yes, the random harlot table really does exist and was a possibility under urban encounters (along with city guards and the like).
I’ve used the AD&D city encounter table many times - just not the harlot subtable!

MGibster

Legend
I think a lot of people my age know who Billy Joel is. Most of us would recognize Piano Man or We Didn't Start the Fire.
I hear him less frequently on the radio than I did in the past and "Piano Man" is probably one of the few I hear in rotation which is too bad because I don't think it's very good. One of my favorites is "My Life," or the theme to Bosom Buddies if you remember that show, and I just heard that the other day for the first time in years. I bet if I started singing "Still Rock 'n Roll to Me" to someone in their early 20s there's a good chance they'd just shrug their shoulders and say they didn't know it. And just to be clear I don't mean this as a slight against younger people at all. (Like I didn't get upset when Billie Eilish didn't know who Van Halen was.) The last time I can recall a Billy Joel album being received with anticipation from a large audience was in 1993.

Remove ads