Did the Ads Recently Change on this Site (New Pop Ups)

Muad'dib Pendragon

The Spice must flow... From the Holy Grail
The trouble is: I'm not against the idea of financially contributing to a site that I visit regularly. And getting rid of advertising (without an adblocker) is certainly another incentive to do so. But given that ENworld's supporter levels start at $5, at least for me personally that doesn't really line up well with how much I use the site and how much I pay for similar things at other sites.
Now I guess Morrus has run some estimates and in the end it works out better the way it is, but it still feels a bit unfortunate.
I have similar concerns. One would hope Morrus and team could do something less invasive with the ads and/or at least incentivize support via an annual community supporter level discount similar to that which they offer publishers and other sites do, in general.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I guess that's what they are hoping for.

I used to go to the autosport F1 forums all the time to talk about racing.

Now only once every few months, if that... Why?

They added a persistent bottom banner ad that you had to click off with every new page. Just too annoying for words.

And I still get the pop-up and bottom banner ad on every new page here.

So yeah, my engagement will wane.

Not like I have a huge post count compared to some, so I guess they'll chalk it up to no big loss if they get sufficient members signing up to avoid the annoying ads.
If I'm forced to pay money to stop ads, it will be to an ad blocker. I feel like content added to the site for members only to encourage sign ups is a far better way to go if they want to increase paid memberships.

What look like the home page on my ipad

B3C010D4-CE87-4622-BA20-196100DF8EEC.png

MGibster

Legend
The popup on the bottom of my screen (PC) is still there, but the pop up that appeared on the right side of the screen is no longer there.

Nevermind: The right side pop up is back.

Last edited:

Remove ads