Dragonlance Did you play Dragonlance using the pregens?

Did you play the original Dragonlance modules (DL series) using the pregens?

• We played Dragonlance using the pregens (Heroes of the Lance)

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • We played Dragonlance creating our own characters

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • We played with a mixture of pregens and our own characters

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I have read, but never played, the DL adventure modules

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • I have never read nor played the DL adventure modules

Votes: 13 23.6%

I'm interested in how many people who played (some or all of) the original Dragonlance modules (DL series) used the pregens (Heroes of the Lance), and how may used their own characters.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I came into D&D partly though the Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends, though I had no idea what D&D was or that it had anything to do with those books when I first read them. By the time I started playing it was the mid-90s and while I picked up whichever of those modules were at my FLGS nobody in my group wanted to rehash the novels so I never ran them.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
With pre-gens, but didn’t get through them all (they’re not very good & require a ton of work from the DM to make playable).

We used the pregens, but I think the adventures would've had longer legs if we hadn't. We only made it so far before giving up on that campaign and returning to our own regular characters.

We did, however, have a fairly successful campaign using Dragonlance Adventures and our own characters.

We ran the DL modules when they were compiled as the Classics set of books using our own characters. The DM heavily modified them to make it so we didn't feel like he was reading us Dragons of Autumn Twilight with us occasionally rolling to see what page he reads next.

And for those who did play with pregens, did you stick with the same PCs all the way through, or switch from PC to PC depending on the module, as the 3rd Ed iteration of these modules at least suggested?
We actually had 1 player want to play Raistlin, but when he finally figured out we weren't sticking closely to the module's path, he rerolled a new character of his own.

ECMO3

Hero
I'm interested in how many people who played (some or all of) the original Dragonlance modules (DL series) used the pregens (Heroes of the Lance), and how may used their own characters.
I played it several times, once as a player and then three times as a DM mostly with but one module (DL2) played without.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I don't know if the voting is a representative sample, but it's remarkable that 50% of people have played and 75% have read the book...

Remove ads