D&D 5E Different approach to buying the core books in 5E

What is your buying strategy for 5E?

• I will buy the 3 core books come Hell or water high.

Votes: 35 38.5%
  • I wll buy the PHB and then read it to see if I buy anything else.

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • I will research the subject, read the books where I can and see.

Votes: 42 46.2%
  • I will not be buying any 5E books.

Votes: 5 5.5%

I'll buy the core three no matter what.

I've done that with every edition except 2nd (the rules were not different enough from first for me to bother when they first came out). Even if I don't end up playing the game, I tend to get ideas from rules that I can convert to HERO - or that I can adapt into my running 3.x/Pathfinder thing I use. I've already got elements from 1st and 4th in it (plus a lot of extra 3rd party D20 stuff in it). Adding elements from Next would be just fine in that witches brew I call my game.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I'll check them out during the playtest. If it's my cup of tea, I'll be inclined to buy in...but only if they've also corrected my other issues with WotC. Specifically, since WotC pulled the pdf's, I've been consistently clear that I will not support their company until these become available again (in some downloadable electronic format - not rented)...period. My other main issue: the way they were treating customers...seems to have already resolved itself. It seems they've either learned from their mistakes, or the people causing the problems no longer work for them.

So, if they make older edition materials available again, and I like 5E, then I'll be buying it.

If either of those don't happen, then I won't.

Elf Witch

First Post
I totally get where you are coming from.

I bought each new edition sometimes without even looking at the books. I am talking core here not splats those I always looked at.

Even though 4E was discussed a lot and I had by doubts I pre ordered the core books. I thought it is DnD I will find a way to work with it. I couldn't and I regret the money spent. Before this I had never bought a gaming product that I got no use from.

It was not DnD to me or what I think DnD should be. Yes I recognize that to other people it is what they want DnD to be.

So even if I do the play tests I will sit down and read the books and read the forums before I will spend any money.

Elf Witch

First Post
Hurray. Another person trying to start an edition war. No thanks.

I don't think that is what he is trying to do.

One thing that would really help not starting edition wars is if people would just stop being so ready to assume that is what a person is trying to do and be ready to jump into the fray or declare like you did that it is an edition war and you will not participate.

Yes the OP could have been more diplomatic and used the world to "me" 4E is not DnD instead of the way he said it.

It is not an edition war for a poster to ask because of the controversy surrounding 4E has that influenced how you will purchase 5E. I think it is a perfectly acceptable and interesting topic to discuss.

seregil

First Post
I don't think that is what he is trying to do.

One thing that would really help not starting edition wars is if people would just stop being so ready to assume that is what a person is trying to do and be ready to jump into the fray or declare like you did that it is an edition war and you will not participate.

Yes the OP could have been more diplomatic and used the world to "me" 4E is not DnD instead of the way he said it.

It is not an edition war for a poster to ask because of the controversy surrounding 4E has that influenced how you will purchase 5E. I think it is a perfectly acceptable and interesting topic to discuss.

It certainly wasn't my intention to start an edition war, and I apologize.

Yes, I should have worded it better. 4E doesn't 'feel' like dnd to me. Maybe it does for you. Whatever.

I was simply explaining WHY my approach to purchasing the core books has changed.

BUT...

even those who like 4E might be hesitant to buy the next edition blindly because the backlash against 4E might mean that 5E will be TOO different from the game they love.

It goes both ways, I would imagine.

EDIT: I reworded the original post to avoid the Edition War.

Last edited:

Elf Witch

First Post
It certainly wasn't my intention to start an edition war, and I apologize.

Yes, I should have worded it better. 4E doesn't 'feel' like dnd to me. Maybe it does for you. Whatever.

I was simply explaining WHY my approach to purchasing the core books has changed.

BUT...

even those who like 4E might be hesitant to buy the next edition blindly because the backlash against 4E might mean that 5E will be TOO different from the game they love.

It goes both ways, I would imagine.

EDIT: I reworded the original post to avoid the Edition War.

Just FYI I don't think 4E is DnD for me.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
Well Monte Cook leaving was a good sign, but I'll wait for the open playtests.

When he wrote the article about 'wouldn't it be cool if D&D had a passive perception score rather than rolling perception all the time' I nearly gave up on 5E entirely.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases