• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Different era/decade character wardrobe designs?

rueful-rumourx

First Post
So, I'm currently a player in campaign that involves time travel (it's a bit complicated, but essentially, time is a place- one could be in the wild west, walk a few miles to the north, and end up in cyberpunk times). I've taken it upon myself to draw my character's clothing for each time period (originally, he's from cyberpunk times) but I'm having a hard time coming up for the other times. I want to stay true to his design but also be at least somewhat historically (or future-ically?) accurate. Any tips or resources?

Ulfgeir

Hero
So, I'm currently a player in campaign that involves time travel (it's a bit complicated, but essentially, time is a place- one could be in the wild west, walk a few miles to the north, and end up in cyberpunk times). I've taken it upon myself to draw my character's clothing for each time period (originally, he's from cyberpunk times) but I'm having a hard time coming up for the other times. I want to stay true to his design but also be at least somewhat historically (or future-ically?) accurate. Any tips or resources?
It very much depends on where the person is and what social level they try to pass themselves off as. Also remember that people often inherited clothes, and richer people sometimes sold off/retailored the clothes that were out of fashion. You are not going to see mediaeval peasants in noble clothing though. They could not afford them and there were often sumptuary laws prohibiting the poor from dressing above their station

That said, for historical rich people (often nobility) look at old paintings. Look at photographs from the era, or fashion-plates. For example Harpers Bazaar (the Vogue of yesteryear) had some rather good illustrations of dresses and descriptions of materials from 1860's to the 1900's.

If you want mediaeval things or older, again paintings, and archaeological finds.

Remove ads