• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dimishing Return within Roles and Multiclassing

So this is a scary thing to bring up because of the possible arguments that it might spark, but here goes.

Character building in 4e may now be more like deck building in M:tG. I say this in a good way. 3.x did character building like financial planning. You pick where you wanted to end up, then with expert accounting, and a little luck, you slowly build to the character that you always wanted. You definitely don't start there, but as long as you stick with your initial plan, and the plan was flawless from an accounting standpoint, you could get there. Typically it required expert help or a significant deal of personal expertise to pull off, and it was easy to screw up and get crap.

In 4e, it seems that the accounting has been limited. There seem at this point the be way less prerequisites for any specific build, and there are these sort of do-over retrainings that are completely absent in core 3.x and financial planning (I wish!). instead, there seems to be the attitude of "Have your character work the way you want it now," and "It's OK if it didn't turn out the way you thought, try a different variation." Along with that the designers have spliced on an expandable series of archetypes that are self contained and generally ballanced between each other that can be mixed and matched to create any concept. It generally works best not to dilute each archetype too much, but two can be combined to create interesting synergies. Each archetype has it's strengths and it's weaknesses, but in the context of it's self and the group, each is ballanced and fun to play at all levels. This is relatively analogous to the color wheel in M:tG, but with the addition of new colors every year, and limited dual lands.

So before anyone starts the flame war, can we each think about the benefits that this approach will bring to the hobby in the form of accessability and fun, and what weaknesses it will eliminate in the form of system mastery and accounting prowess. I might enjoy the puzzle of accounting, but I far more enjoy the game play, and many people do not like accounting (probably most don't).

I think in general this approach will allow easier concept building at the character level, as long as people can divorce themselves from the accounting culture that has been cultivated for the last ~30 years. When we finally get aroung the "but I can't make my fighter/mage/cleric!!!!" and get to the "Wow, it is much easier and fun to create a fighting character with a connection to both the divine and the arcane (paladin->wizard/warlock)", we will likely realize that the fun and satisfaction of character creation can happen many times within a characters lifetime and happens immediately, as apposed to only after three years of playing and planning to get that final prestige class at 20th level.

I am very happy with how these rules are shaping up. They are more like I alway wished D&D was like. And on top of that, they appear transparent enough that houseruling will be a sinch.

Scipio202

Explorer
OK, so I went through the PrRC and counted up how many powers each class had that attacked a particular defense. This is a rough estimate since we have more powers for some classes then others.

Class [Power / Role] - AC / Reflex / Will / Fort

Wizard [Arcane / Controller] - 0 / 9 / 5 / 3
Warlock [Arcane / Striker] --- 0 / 2 / 2 / 0

Paladin [Divine / Defender] - 4 / 0 / 4 / 0
Cleric [Divine / Leader] ----- 1 / 2 / 3 / 0

Fighter [Martial / Defender] - 4 / 0 / 0 / 0
Warlord [Martial / Leader] -- 7 / 0 / 0 / 0
Ranger [Martial / Striker] --- 5 / 0 / 0 / 0
Rogue [Martial / Striker] ---- 2 / 1 / 1 / 1

So it seems that while effects seemed to be grouped by role, attacking defenses seem to be grouped by power source. Martial almost always attacks AC. Arcane is really the only source that attacks Fort a lot. Divine hits mostly AC and Will.

I also quickly went through the monster compendium in hong's sig, and looked at the difference between the highest defense (almost always AC) and the lowest (seemed fairly evenly spread between Reflex, Will and Fort).

Average difference: 4.54
Median difference: 4
Max difference: 11
% of monsters with difference >= 6: 25%

So, getting past AC to attack the appropriate defense can be a big attack bonus. For Martial PCs it may be very useful to get an attack that avoids AC. For Divine or Arcane, either they'll have most bases covered, or it may just not be worth it to pay a feat to trade a Will for a Fort, for example. Plus, since you can't trade at-wills, you'll only get one attack against the weaker defense. That seems somewhat less useful than trading for healing or AoEs.

Spenser

First Post
AC tends to be higher than the other defenses, but keep in mind that weapon proficiencies and the like help close the gap. Either you're attacking with a short sword at +3, or a large smashy weapon at +1 (but with bigger damage dice compared to say, Ray of Frost).

Remove ads