• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dinopriminals and Phantasy Prehistorium (Nym/Omarka)

I had an idea for the Poseidonal. Kind of tying it in with our Mesozoic demon from the Wizards forums.

"Poseidonals are the guardians of the dinopriminal's homelands, gatekeepers who prevent enemies from entering their stronghold. They are few in number, having been born of necessity during an ancient war with the Obyrith demons when the spawn of Ak'chakro tried to force their way into the Beastlands. They rarely leave their home planes except in times of dire emergency."

I also had the idea that they project a protective aura that grants allies fast healing and/or other benefits.

Last edited:

xidoraven

Explorer
I think any of these creatures could have a name change before they are finalized, so I am not ruling that out. A few of them are pretty concrete, but most may be subject to renaming.

You know Rabbit, I had thought about how best to utilize the Poseidonal's size and massive bulk as a definitive factor in how they fit in within the culture and in other areas as visitors. I had considered some kind of massive effect centered around them like you suggest, but I also wanted to tie them into some of the ideas I had with the original dinosaur, the sauroposeidon. I wanted them to stand out as the dinosaurs most often trained and led in coastal areas as creatures which could slowly move around in moderately deep coastal waters and carry soldiers with potential ranged weapons and spell effects. Based on that idea, I think having the Poseidonal do something similarly helpful and coastline-oriented would also be great, as well as a potential protective field of some kind of effect. So I agree with your suggestion.

Also, I have no problem tying in the demonic creature being developed with bhu - I will edit that text to be more directly related to the campaign needs (they would not have been a direct result of the obyrith, but they would most certainly have been a major force in defending against extraplanar attacks on Nym (dinopriminal homelands). I would do it tonight, but I am super tired and uninspired at the moment. :p ;) Also, now that my presentation is done, I will have some more time to devote to these guys again.

You know, after thinking: if every animal that breathes air gets scent as a SQ, shouldn't any dinopriminal and guardinal as well? Also, I think it is in our best interests to try and get bhu to join us here with that line of thinking.

You must really like that little blurb about the sentient dinosaur dying and being turned into a bunch of demons, huh? It's funny because I don't get much time to write down thoughts like that, even though they come out so easily and lucidly in my mind.... Something tells me you would really like to play in my games, which end up usually having wicked cool elements like that come in to really turn the story up a notch. Just imagine if you ended up in a hellish dungeon somewhere, only to find that this carnosaur was in fact regaining his strength with the help of minions... I know exactly how to tune up a sleepy storyline. :D hehehehe

Last edited:

Interesting. I had the idea of Parodinals being empathic. I also gave them mind blades, but in exchange didn't give them natural weapons.

I have the parodinal almost finished. The actual game statistics are completed, I just want to add to the flavor text. As they are, they're not especially good at combat (when compared to creatures with the same Hit Dice), but they make up for it with their healing and social-related abilities (empathy, high Diplomacy/Sense Motive skills, calm emotions).

xidoraven

Explorer
Empathy and calm emotions are great too - those will help contribute to being socially aware and well-guided. I think the manifested weapon will do much better for the sole fact that they will not have to wield heavily clawed fingers, but rather more of a toed/hooved front appendages, like this guy.

In fact, in case you would like to see some of the inspirations for the image I want to make, most of my favorites are coming up in the first couple pages of a search for 'Psittacosaurus in images.google.com - I still think they should have a pretty wicked bite attack, however - without it the creature would seem unrealistic, but I am still okay with no claw attacks and leave it to the mind blade ability. It's just fun to think about how they will come together... Because, although other people may simply sprinkle them into their game or campaign setting, others will want them to interact full-time with their cultures, and still other may be doing what we are attempting: to create a homeworld campaign where they are a directive force in how things work and move. On Nym, they have an upper hand - along with the shapeshifting Faunarian subculture (a secret society), who also happens to be the original creators of sigilry along with ultra-ancient celestial outsiders who enstated the laws of the cosmos in this region... blablabla....bla... ;) :p

Be forewarned, @Cleon, the person so far helping out on dinosaur reviews/revisions, may be posting some dino-related fictional stuff over into here, so we may have to skip a posting or three in order to keep our conversation about dinopriminals going over top of it. ;) My apologies in advance - but there was a lot of unorganized stuff on our other index and too many off-key variations (including fictional critters that were thought to be real critters... oi.)
-will

In reference to the Parodinal:

I only mentioned Intimidate because I had the thought, 'shouldn't that count? when you Intimidate someone, you scare them into doing something for you.' I can take that out if you want.
I only included Wild Talent as a bonus feat because the soulknife supposedly needs it in order to manifest the mind blade, but the Mind Blade ability itself doesn't say that power points are necessary for use.
I don't really mind the statistics changes.
If you would like me to change the flavor text to not present them as 'sissies,' that's ok. What do you suggest for the replacement flavor text? This is your universe after all.

In reference to the Poseidonal:

There is a spell called Tsunami, it's a 9th-level druid spell in the Spell Compendium. However, I'd prefer an earth/plant theme for the Poseidonal's spell-like abilities, since Poseidon was also the god of earthquakes.
My idea for the Poseidonal's 'aura of the juggernaut' was to grant good-aligned creatures a globe of invulnerability-type effect as well as fast healing (5? points per round).

Remove ads