D&D 5E Dinosaurs in 5E?

Vael

Legend
Given Next's policy of trying to unite the editions, what I'd expect is to see both, ie, like 3.5 Eberron gave a table with scientific names for dinosaurs next to the Eberron name. So the Deinonychus is called a "Carver" in Eberron.

I'd go with the Behemoth names, and include a table with maybe the eberron common names and the scientific names. The Eberron table also included their Draconic names, a bit of neat lore I'd like to see make a comeback.

slobo777

First Post
I like the real-world names, because I was enough of a dinosaur nerd as a kid (and so are my daughters), that I get a strong visual trigger from them that gets me into the game.

However, the behemoth names are pretty much just translations from the scientific ancient greek standards anyway. I can understand why you wouldn't always want to import ancient greek and/or modern science speak so obviously into a fantasy game.

Many of the D&D dinosaurs owe more to Jurassic Park fantasy dinosaurs than known scientific facts. Which is all good.

I'd go for both names - I don't mind which is the "headline" one, but I'd use the scientific name as a quick reference and have NPCs use the newer fantasy names (unless they were showing off their knowledge of ancient Draconic).

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
pemerton said:
I like "behometh" better than "dinosaur" - it is less "scientific" and more "ye olde worlde". Like renaming sonic damage thunder damage.

My issue with "behemoth" comes into play when you're doing stuff like velociraptors or compsognathus or other things that aren't exactly behemoth in size, but things you'd certainly call "dinosaurs." And if you're calling something a "behemoth," there's no obvious reason you'd lump in T-rexes and Triceratops, but not dragons or Zaratans or hippopotami or Rocs or whatever. But it'd be a solid name for, say, sauropods.

"Tyrants" (T-rexes and similar)
"Behemoths" (Apatasaurus and similar)
...maybe some others. :)

pemerton

Legend
My issue with "behemoth" comes into play when you're doing stuff like velociraptors or compsognathus or other things that aren't exactly behemoth in size, but things you'd certainly call "dinosaurs." And if you're calling something a "behemoth," there's no obvious reason you'd lump in T-rexes and Triceratops, but not dragons or Zaratans or hippopotami or Rocs or whatever. But it'd be a solid name for, say, sauropods.

That all seems sensible to me, though Dragons can be distinguished by being magical beasts, I think. And aren't 4e Rocs, at least, elemental?

But non-magical drakes would seem to overlap with velociraptors etc (what are Needlefang Drakes, after all?).

Tyrants is good for T-Rexes - is that your own coinage, or has it been used before? In the Fighting Fantasy Gamebook "Deathtrap Dungeon", the T-Rex is called a Pit Fiend (being a fiendish beast that you fight in a gladiatorial pit) - obviously that won't work for D&D!

fenriswolf456

First Post
My issue with "behemoth" comes into play when you're doing stuff like velociraptors or compsognathus or other things that aren't exactly behemoth in size, but things you'd certainly call "dinosaurs."

Things that _we_ would call dinosaurs. But the same reasoning against calling this collection of creatures 'behemoths' applies to calling them 'dinosaurs'. The issue is that the D&D behemoths are still alive and well, and generally found randomly around the D&D world, while in RL we are able to collectively call this group of creatures as dinosaurs. There's no reason for sages to link the velociraptors found in the Wild Plains with the huge Brontosaurs found in the South Jungles with a collective term, other than both being rather big reptiles.

And if you're calling something a "behemoth," there's no obvious reason you'd lump in T-rexes and Triceratops, but not dragons or Zaratans or hippopotami or Rocs or whatever. But it'd be a solid name for, say, sauropods.

They should be collectively gathered under one heading for the MM, if only for ease of finding them. I suppose Dinosaur works just as well as a heading, but don't particularly want them to be called that in the gameworld. Or at least, I would like more evocative common names for the creatures rather than the more scientifically derived ones we have.

slobster

Hero

Well, a lot of the grouping of things in the MM is done for the convenience of the GM, not necessarily as part of some world-building exercise implying that people in-game group creatures in the same way.

That's why, for instance, dire animals are included as a group even though biologically speaking a dire eagle doesn't have much in common with a dire bear, or a dire shark. And in-universe, why would everyone somehow recognize all these disparate creatures as belonging to some single "dire animal" category? After all, we don't call big bears dire bears, we call them kodiak and polar bears. Great white sharks aren't called dire sharks. Dire wolves existed, but that only drives home the point since they were the only animals to be so named, and in fact inspired the whole dire animal phenomenon in D&D in the first place.

Doesn't bother me though, because the MM is organized for the people who play the game, not the people who live in it.

Now despite all that, I think I could sign on to the idea of dividing dinosaurs into "Tyrants", "Behemoths", "Raptors", or similar categories. Few enough that it's still easy to reference them as a GM, but a little implicit world building baked into the MM (that is, as usual, easy to ignore or rearrange) would be welcome.

EDIT: Also, apropos of nothing, a dire T-rex or triceratops would be pretty sweet.

Last edited:

Scribble

First Post
Dinosaur translates to terrible lizard though... In a world that has things like Dragons, are the smaller Dinosaurs really all that terrible?

"Well at least it wasn't a dragon!"

At least Behemoth makes some sort of sense... Since they're bigger then a "normal" lizard...

Kind of like how Giant spiders really aren't that Giant, unless you look at them vrs normal spiders.

Dausuul

Legend
What about adapting the Latin names?

Tyrannosaurus Rex --> Tyrant Lizard King --> Behemoth Tyrant
Triceratops --> Three Horn Face --> Three-Horned Behemoth
Brontosaurus* --> Thunder Lizard --> Thundering Behemoth
Ankylosaurus --> Fused Lizard --> Fused Behemoth --> okay, maybe not this one

[SIZE=-2]*Yeah, yeah, I know, nowadays it's called "Apatosaurus." Stop trampling on my childhood, dangit! Next you'll be telling me Pluto isn't a planet. Anyhow, Thunder Lizard is way cooler than Deceptive Lizard.[/SIZE]

It's not all that far from 4E nomenclature, but it sounds much more natural than AdjectiveNoun.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
See, this goes into my ideas on the third core book. Having a free-floating Tyrannosaurus statblock jammed under B or D or whatever isn't giving me the info that I need to use them in a game.

Meanwhile, if they'd include a Lost Plateau location with "Tyrants" along with, say, a population of native barbarians, that's some useful context! Then they can give the creatures names that reflect the Barbarians of the Lost Plateau that have nothing to do with our world or language whatsoever and just sound cool.

And then they can put the actual dinosaur names in parentheses so that someone looking for T-rex stats doesn't need to remember that they're called Ip'Bil-din.

Scribble said:
Kind of like how Giant spiders really aren't that Giant, unless you look at them vrs normal spiders.

This has been a bit of a pet peeve of mine in D&D, so I generally replace the word "giant" with the word "Dire." "Giant" has some specific meanings in D&D aside from "Friggin' big."

Last edited:

Remove ads