Spelljammer Dipping Into Spelljammer- Did It

Zardnaar

Legend
Wasn't to sure how this would go down in last night session.

Egyptian themed game PCs get approached by NPCs to get on a river barge. River barge is a Mosquito (Spelljammer ship type)with an illusion cast on it.

Anyway they were transported to the moon. I made the moon a Savannah inhabited by cat people a'la Mystara. They landed in a volcanic area a'la Yellowstone park.

I borrowed the fire dungeon from Princes of the Apocalypse and added some Neogi to it that the PCs haven't encountered yet.

Also added a Stargate Atlantis type tower scaled down which fired shooting stars and fallen sun's. They have found references to the Day of a Thousand Suns. You have to be an outsider to operate the control chair but one of the PCs is an Aasimar.

So yeah skycastle on the moon. Not planning a full on Spelljammer game just adding a taste and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
I am not into Spelljammer, but thumbs up to doing this kind of mish-mashing of stuff from various sources, it lovely sounds so good-old-fashioned 80s D&D to me :)

GlassJaw

Hero
Nicely done. I love Spelljammer. It's been on my "bucket campaign list" for a long time.

Not sure I would pull the rug out from under my players and send them into space (unlike Ravenloft hehe :devilish:) but I like the way you handled it.

I would totally go the Star Wars route too where each planet had a theme: the snow planet, desert planet, water planet, etc, etc.

Zardnaar

Legend
Nicely done. I love Spelljammer. It's been on my "bucket campaign list" for a long time.

Not sure I would pull the rug out from under my players and send them into space (unlike Ravenloft hehe :devilish:) but I like the way you handled it.

I would totally go the Star Wars route too where each planet had a theme: the snow planet, desert planet, water planet, etc, etc.

Back in the 90s we played Star Wars D6 and then did Spelljammer.

I still run D6 on occasion, new players seem keen on playing a Star Wars game and they're voting for D6 over SWSE.

I used Spelljammer twice in a FR campaign. In the first one, the party found a town freaking out because a giant pyramid was floating way up in the sky; later, they found their way to a very old SJ ship hidden in a huge cavern and used it to fly up to the pyramid and take out the mummy lord who was piloting the pyramid. In the second, the party used that old SJ ship to go off into space for a while and party down in the wider SJ universe, before returning home to more mundane stuff...

Richards

Legend
I did something similar in my current campaign: at the end of a dungeon the PCs got teleported across the crystal sphere to a way station, then got picked up by a pirate ship, captured by neogi, forced to attack a dohwar merchant vessel, sent to investigate an umber hulk breeding farm in an asteroid, escaped from the neogi in a stolen dragonfly vessel, ended up lost in wildspace, and hitched a ride aboard a living grell jellyfish/ship back to Oerth, where we picked up the rest of the non-Spelljammer part of the campaign. The dip into the Spelljammer rules lasted all of four adventures in what will be an 80-adventure campaign. It was a fun little diversion and a break from the normal campaign world, plus an opportunity to meet up with some Spelljammer races the PCs normally wouldn't have a reason to encounter.

Johnathan

GlassJaw

Hero
Back in the 90s we played Star Wars D6 and then did Spelljammer.

I still run D6 on occasion, new players seem keen on playing a Star Wars game and they're voting for D6 over SWSE.

D6 is the best Star Wars rpg, hands down, and one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

What I meant is that I would treat Spelljammer like fantasy Star Wars. Star Wars at its heart is essentially a sci-fi pulp/adventure setting. With Spelljammer, you turn down the tech and throw in more fantasy (and even steampunk).

Remove ads