Dire Boars loose in Alabama

Storm Raven

First Post
SiderisAnon said:
No, I think they went hunting pig. You don't hunt pheasant with a 50-caliber pistol ... at least not if you want any pheasant left to take home with you. :)

Being out hunting pheasant is probably why he used the pistol to kill the pig. If they were out intentionally hunting pig, then I would suspect he would have been equipped with a rifle that was up to the job, and not used a pistol (which he probably carried as a back-up for emergencies in the event he was confronted by an animal that, say, a shotgun would not be real effective against, like a huge pig).

Last edited:

Corvidae

First Post
Storm Raven said:
Being out hunting pheasant is probably why he used the pistol to kill the pig. if they were out intentionally hunting pig, then I would suspect he would have been equipped with a rifle that was up to the job, and not used a pistol (which he probably carried as a back-up for emergencies in the event he was confronted by an animal that, say, a shotgun would not be real effective against, like a huge pig).

It, was a .50 cal pistol, and they had two guides, you don't use a .50 cal as a back up. My guess is that they were intentionally hunting pigs, and the reason a rifle was not used is that it is close quarters and .50 cal rifles are heavy.

Just my guess

Storm Raven

First Post
Corvidae said:
It, was a .50 cal pistol, and they had two guides, you don't use a .50 cal as a back up. My guess is that they were intentionally hunting pigs, and the reason a rifle was not used is that it is close quarters and .50 cal rifles are heavy.

I know several people who carry .50 caliber pistols (or close to it) as secondary hunting weapons when they are in an area hunting small game and might encounter bigger things that they might hunt as a target of opportunity, or need to fend off if the animal gets aggressive. High caliber pistols are pretty common (at least in my neck of the woods) as secondary hunting weapons.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Corvidae said:
you don't use a .50 cal as a back up.
Depends on where you are. I've known some people who lived in bear country that wore very high caliber pistols as backups. Big revolvers in .455, those older single shot hunting pistols chambered for magnum rifle rounds, though my great-uncle swore by one of those old 12-gauge pistols they made in the twenties as burglar guns. On the other hand I don't think that was what happened here.

Corvidae said:
It, was a .50 cal pistol, and they had two guides, My guess is that they were intentionally hunting pigs, and the reason a rifle was not used is that it is close quarters and .50 cal rifles are heavy...Just my guess
Probably the right one, I read it as they were hunting pig and he was saying he'd rather hunt pheasants cause they aren't so dangerous. Remember this was just a kid, he probably had the pistol because there wasn't much else with the oomph that he could handle lugging through the brush.

Regarding .50 rifles, for all the rifles chambered in .50BMG recently they're generally not made for hunting. Mostly they're made for military use by scout-snipers and such and they're WAYY to long and ungainly to use in brush, have a recoil like a mule, and weight about thirty pounds. You hunt hog with a pump shotgun and slugs, because it can take a 12g slug to put the thing down and you can cycle a slide faster than most civilian gas guns in case it doesn't go down right away.

Agreed. It's kind-of like someone hooking the Lock Ness monster, or catching sasquatch in a bear trap.

Steel_Wind said:
Kind of sad that a boar that large has to be killed for "sport" by a kid. Really. That is an ignominious and pointless way to die.

Man, that is one big pig.

Felix

Explorer
Jyrdan Fairblade said:
Agreed. It's kind-of like someone hooking the Lock Ness monster, or catching sasquatch in a bear trap.
Ar' ya kiddin? I joost loves tae sit an think o' me worl' famous Loch' Ness Haggis!

They'd be hurlin it fer yeers!

For reference, the family's official website is here: http://www.monsterpig.com/ and the Snopes article on it is here: http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/hogzilla.asp

If you ever think that ENWorld seems a bit too snippy, check out the "Negative Comments" link for some perspecitve. If you ever wonder why ENWorld doesn't allow religious or political debate, check out the "Positive Comments" and "Note from Jamison's Dad". This site takes the full 3 hour tour of crazy.

Last edited:

sckeener

First Post
robberbaron said:
Did they track back to its lair, kill its mate and young then moan about the lack of treasure?

No? Then he's not a PC.

My players always seem to balk at the killing the young part...

so for one adventure I had the female gnolls strap their young to their back...

If the players hit I gave them a 25% chance of hitting the kid.....it was fun watching them squirm.

Slife

First Post
Jyrdan Fairblade said:
Again, they're really nasty creatures. And this isn't even close to the maximum size they can reach in captivity (over a ton)

Joël of the FoS

First Post
Deset Gled said:
For reference, the family's official website is here: http://www.monsterpig.com/ and the Snopes article on it is here: http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/hogzilla.asp

If you ever think that ENWorld seems a bit too snippy, check out the "Negative Comments" link for some perspecitve. If you ever wonder why ENWorld doesn't allow religious or political debate, check out the "Positive Comments" and "Note from Jamison's Dad". This site makes takes the full 3 hour tour of crazy.

This familly site is indeed hilarious in a sad way. Both negative and positive comments have their lot of extremely silly comments. But very interesting, thanks for posting the link.

Joël

Remove ads