D&D 5E Dirty Secrets?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Hmm I would have to say my (most unusual?) secret is that I actually prefer DMing online than in person.

Reason is, online, it's easy to do "hidden" rolls from players (we have an "all combat dice in the open" policy, which I like) and most importantly - while players are discussing stuff they want to do, side treks and whatever, online I can quickly pull up a few pictures behind the scenes and then present them to the players as if I had this planned all along! In conjunction with random name generators, treasure/pick pocket generators, random encounter generators, even quick map generators .... you can improvise like crazy with confidence!

For getting stuff done, I also prefer online play. It is much more productive in my experience. In person, it tends to become a much more social affair and I've gotten to where I much prefer a cool board or card game instead.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
[MENTION=20564]Blue[/MENTION]

Thanks for the explanation.

Coincidentally, I call that "planting seeds" which could be used as yet another euphemism.

Awesome Adam

First Post
My dirty secret is that, in the campaign I'm currently playing in, my character is more attached the to NPCs travelling with us than any of the player characters.

ccs

41st lv DM
My dirtiest secret is that I've always wanted to run a meatgrinder campaign but can't find the players for it. These days everyone wants their own arc... spoiled youngsters. :)

You can do both at the same time. The characters arc just turns out to be shorter than what the player had envisioned it being....

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
You can do both at the same time. The characters arc just turns out to be shorter than what the player had envisioned it being....

Speaking as a very outspoken fan of "character arc" stuff...no, you really can't. Not in a way that would be compatible with my continuing interest in the game.

My dirtiest secret?

My players have no idea that I run narrative combat. They think the monsters have HP, but I make them die whenever it's dramatically appropriate. They think the monsters roll to attack them, but the monsters hit whenever I feel like. They think I roll damage, but the monsters deal whatever damage I think is reasonable. They think the monsters roll saving throws, but I have them succeed or fail based on how good party morale is. Sometimes I roll dice and nod meaningfully at them. It doesn't mean a thing.

You've already had a couple people comment on this, so I'll keep it simple: if you think your players would get upset by having this deception revealed, it seems kinda crappy of you to maintain it anyway. Perhaps you should give the opposite a try? That is, zero fudging, doing things exactly by the book even if it produces unwanted consequences. For extra points, don't tell your players you've made the change, and see how your experiences (and their experiences) are different.

What is your dirtiest secret at the gaming table?

I have one near-default character I almost always play. Even if the class and/or race changes, the character personality doesn't fundamentally change. Only one person has ever commented on it, but I've also experimented more in games where he plays so he doesn't know I still have a default :p

Remove ads