• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disappointed in Dungeon, at least for adventures.

MoxieFu

First Post
I suspect its also that the operation went back in house. Pazio was good at producing Dungeon in part because they had a lot of practice. By implication, Dungeon should pick up a bit as the team gets experience in doing it. As my group has played through SoW, I've found that the paragon tier adventures are better than the heroic.

Unless those were the employees that got laid off last month. :(

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I do prefer the electronic format for a whole range of reasons (although I miss being able to read a physical copy at other times) but I just see the electronic version of Dungeon as an extension of WotC's inability to produce good adventures which started in 3E.

Bruce Cordell wrote some of the best adventures of the 2E era (Return to the Tomb of Horrors, Gates of Firestorm Peak [with its introduction of the Far Realm] and the often underrated The Shattered Circle) and yet his name on almost any adventure since is like seeing Ben Affleck cast in a new movie: you know it's going to bomb. Bruce needs to get the magic back.

Chris Perkins was Dungeon's most prolific contributor before his employment by TSR/WotC and clearly an exceptional DM and world-builder still (cf his WotC community blog about Iomandra) but he has not been the primary author of an adventure since, IIRC, 3.5E's excellent Sons of Gruumsh.

Other than Chris, the only other WotC designer who has consistently produced good adventures (and novels [he should be the only WotC employee allowed to write FR novels] and sourcebooks) is Rich Baker. I honestly hope his cubicle is marked with a large sign saying "Never to be retrenched!"

I do understand the business model that WotC uses but getting the adventures right, whether in Dungeon or as separately published modules, is an important step in demonstrating the value of their brand. Sure, most people apparently make their own but that's also because we don't have another 4E choice of a consistently high quality.

Bill Slavicsek should be convening a meeting to say, "Let's get adventures right." (I've criticised Bill in various places because some of his Ampersand articles struck me as being of the "look at how important I am"-variety. Now is his opportunity to use his "importance" to make a worthwhile change.)

WotC's reputation for its adventures seems to have gone past the point where a few people have complained to the point where it's not a question of taste but there are genuine issues of quality that need to be addressed. Let's hope they start getting them right.

Remove ads