• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Disarming in 3.5 (Game Tonight!)

Lamoni

First Post
xenoflare said:
Hmm, interesting discussion..

To all the mighty rules gurus, i have a bit of a query to throw in as well about disarming. What use is a Sai (from OA) for disarming, if light weapons suffer a -4 to disarm? Admittedly, my monk could use two sai to do a double-handed disarm to negate the -4 penalty if i was to use the optional Sword and Fist rules about two-fisted disarms, and the Sai +2 bonus to disarm checks would kick in... but won't i be much better off using a quarterstaff, a spear, or some other two-handed weapon for the two-handed +4 bonus?
Actually I thought that nunchuka gave a +2 bonus and sai gave a +4 bonus to disarm. I still agree that it doesn't make much sense that weapons that are very well suited to disarming are less useful than large weapons that aren't. That is just a complaint I have and I don't think there is anything that can be done except for making house rules. If I had written the stats on those weapons I would have given a +5 or a +6 bonus to overcome the -4 penalty to being a light weapon. It is hard enough to find a weapon as a monk that won't constantly be neglected due to dealing more damage when unarmed.

Hightower

First Post
Actually, there is a different benefit to using a light weapon for disarming. Because Disarming uses opposed attack rolls and not opposed strength checks, your low strength character with a high dex bonus can still deftly disarm that longsword with his Sai/dagger as long as he has the Weapon finesse feat. The size of the weapon is still an issue, but now your dex matters and your strength doesn't. So that sai(+4 to disarm) not only cancels out the "light weapon" factor, but also allows the use of Dex(high stat for rogues and monks) to be the deciding edge against the BBE Ogre. If you don't want the "light weapon" penalty, then you need to use a rapier, whip, or spiked chain. This would be perfect for that goblin whip disarm build. You take weapon finesse and improved disarm and even though he is small he gets many bonuses, making him a formidable opponent. If you gave that goblin the spiked chain instead of the whip, he would get two handed bonuses as well and do real damage if he got in a bind.

Hightower

First Post
You registered an account just to reply to a thread that no one has touched in, like, 9 years?

Odd, but okay. Welcome to EN World!

LOL!!! Thanks. I have read many things in EN World, and never taken the time to register. This just piqued my interest and I am off from work today so, I decided to take the time finally to register.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads