Discount magic items

Mahali

Explorer
Anybody remember where it says that when making an item with restricitons (class, race, ect..) if it doesn't hinder the maker/user you shouldn't get the decreased cost?

It's not in the DMG but I know I read it somewhere.

Spatzimaus

First Post
It's been said many times, by various designers. It makes sense, too; if I make a sword that only female CG Half-Elves with llevels in both Barbarian and Psychic Warrior can wield, it's still not hindering my ability to use it. Sure, it makes the resale value practically nothing, but it also means it can't ever be used against me (and no one would WANT to steal it).

Even if you play the -10%, -20%, etc. decreases mentioned in the DMG, IMO these should only apply to market price, NOT the amount of XP or raw material needed to make the item. It's not any less magical, after all.

Of course, that's for items you MAKE. Items you BUY should be different. If a merchant is trying to sell a sword usable only by Paladins, it's probably going to go for a lower price than a similar one without that restriction.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Spatzimaus said:
If a merchant is trying to sell a sword usable only by Paladins, it's probably going to go for a lower price than a similar one without that restriction.
The other side of that coin is that it'll be hard to find one when you need it. If you want a paladin-only sword, you probably need to have it custom made, because demand is too low for them to be common.

Spatzimaus

First Post
AuraSeer said:
The other side of that coin is that it'll be hard to find one when you need it.

Right, which is why saying "-10%" is a bad thing. In that sort of situation (needing an item that's restricted) the price should be HIGHER than listed, if no non-restricted version of the same item exists. (Hint: no non-restricted versions of the same item should ever exist.)

My point was, use restrictions shouldn't be considered at all when determining the "value" of an item (value != price), or how much XP it costs to make, or how much raw material. It should only be taken into account when comparing supply vs. demand.
If the player wants to unload a restricted item onto a shopkeeper that doesn't need it, or if the shopkeeper is trying to sell a restricted item he bought, the price should go down.
If the player needs to buy a restricted item or the shopkeeper has found a rare and powerful item that happens to have a restriction, the price can go up.

Now, you say, "but almost all of those methods end up hurting the player, why would I make an item with an alignment or skill restriction?" Answer: YOU DON'T. Your DM designs all items (cue dcollins!), and will decide if a restriction is necessary based on the concept of the item (Scry for a crystal ball, Good for a Sunblade).

Remove ads