Discovery Trailer

THinking about it, it also shows a very different side of the Vulcans. The whole "logic" thing leads them to automatically destroy every single Klingon ship they meet until the Klingons decide that it's just not worth fighting the Vulcans. One has to wonder though, if the Vulcans were THAT much more powerful than the Klingons, why aren't they running the galaxy? It looks like Federation and Klingon ships are roughly on par, pound for pound. Sure, the Federation gets beaten in the fight, but, they give a pretty darn good showing for themselves, managing to seriously damage or destroy several Klingon ships.

It makes you wonder what the Vulcan ships are like.
It mentions the Vulcans fire first, not that they destroy every Klingon ship.
It's implying that taking a swing right away is like punching the biggest guy in prison: it earns you respect.

IF the ratings were good and then they see a drop on Access, they may move it back to the network, possibly during the off-season and on one of their sister networks.
One thing that is going unsaid here is budget.

The per-episode budget of Discovery was around $8 million. Making it one of the most expensive shows in TV history (right up there with Westworld. But they're justifying that as an investment because it's bringing people to its streaming platform.

Supergirl had a budget of $3 million on CBS. So if Discovery moved onto the network for the second season, they'd probably trim down its budget to match that of other network shows. They'd have to literally half its budget.
And if moved to the CW or a similar sister channel, the budget would be even lower. Again, like how Supergirl's budget was slashed when it moved.

So picture Star Trek Discovery with a budget of $2 million per episode rather than $8...

So...
[sblock]
Blaming Burnham for the seems like an attempt at cheap drama. You have to *really* stretch to assign the blame to her.

She killed a Klingon. But it was there to kill her.
She landed on their probe. But that was a trap to draw in Starfleet ships.
She was going to shoot first. But didn't actually, so the Klingons didn't know.

She cautioned the captain not to martyr the Klingon leader. And then killed him herself immediately afterwards.
Okay... that's on her. But things would have unfolded the same without Burnham, as Captain Georgiou would have just continued to commit the war crime (booby trapping the body of a fallen soldier).

Meanwhile, the Klingons lured the Starfleet ships to that region. They called allies. And then they rejected the request to talk and fired first. Then they attacked during a brief cease fire using a cloaked ship as a weapon, deliberately killing a Starfleet Admiral. And they did the last three while Burnham was locked in the brig.

How exactly is it her fault?[/sblock]

Hussar

Legend
But, that's not what they pin on her, [MENTION=37579]Jester David[/MENTION]. They pin mutiny, assaulting an officer, and a couple of other charges. The point being, she directly disobeyed orders, attacked her captain and tried to fire on another ship, in direct violation to Star Fleet regulations ("We do not fire first!").

I'm kinda curious how they actually figure out a way to get her back into a star ship. I mean, regardless of whether you are right or not, when you do that sort of thing that should be the end of your career.

MarkB

Legend
I'm kinda curious how they actually figure out a way to get her back into a star ship. I mean, regardless of whether you are right or not, when you do that sort of thing that should be the end of your career.

One obvious answer, which I hope they don't go with, is political nepotism. Sarek still believes in her, and would consider her confinement in prison a waste of resources. If the Federation find themselves in particular need of Vulcan expertise, Sarek could easily make Michael's reinstatement a condition of the deal.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, finally saw part of episode 1...because the football game that preceded it ran long. I wasn't around to make my DVR grab the next show. And there will be no rebroadcast because of CBS's planned business model. Oh well.

Thoughts:

1) I can see where they spent the money. The show looks like a movie.
2) The dialog was decent. For those keeping score: two women were on-screen alone and did NOT talk about men or relationships.
3) Not a fan of the new look Klingons.

Remove ads