Discovery Trailer

Hussar

Legend
Besides, with the two part pilot, we got some FANTASTIC stuff. A seriously cool stand alone story. Sure, that meant that Ep 3 was a bit... err... slow? Because now they have to introduce the characters, instead of focusing on the plot like they could in the Pilot. I mean, did anyone other than Saru, the captain and Michael even have names in the Pilot? Did anyone on the bridge have names? I'm sure they did, but, since they aren't one Discovery, they certainly aren't worth much screen time.

And, it does make the redemption arc storyline a lot more immediate. Instead of the constant back and forth of basically trying to tell two stories at the same time, in the vein of Arrow or Lost, now you have a nice straightline continuity. Actually, I find it rather refreshing to be honest. Pretty much every TV show now uses flashbacks to tell two stories at the same time. This does make Discovery stand out a bit.

MarkB

Legend
As cool names for science fictional propulsion systems go, "spore drive" ranks pretty low, somewhere below Farscape's Hench Drive. I also can't really get on board with the whole concept of there being a galaxy-spanning network of fungus that serves as a means of instant transportation.

Since we don't end up with a setting where warp drive and transporters have been replaced with mushrooms, I'm guessing Lorca's crew are going to wind up breaking the mycellium network in some fashion by the end of the series.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As cool names for science fictional propulsion systems go, "spore drive" ranks pretty low, somewhere below Farscape's Hench Drive. I also can't really get on board with the whole concept of there being a galaxy-spanning network of fungus that serves as a means of instant transportation.

Since we don't end up with a setting where warp drive and transporters have been replaced with mushrooms, I'm guessing Lorca's crew are going to wind up breaking the mycellium network in some fashion by the end of the series.

Either that, or the tardigrades are limited. If they're needed to navigate, they could be a limiting factor.

MarkB

Legend
Either that, or the tardigrades are limited. If they're needed to navigate, they could be a limiting factor.

Alternatively - if the tardigrades are a lifeform adapted to feeding from and navigating the mycellium network, maybe it's just one tiny example of a vast, extremely hostile ecosystem. After all, this is a herbivorous creature that is only hostile in self-defense, and yet it has claws capable of ripping through hullmetal and a hide that can shrug off phaser fire. If the tardigrade had to evolve those levels of defense mechanisms, what does the apex predator in this ecosystem look like?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Alternatively - if the tardigrades are a lifeform adapted to feeding from and navigating the mycellium network, maybe it's just one tiny example of a vast, extremely hostile ecosystem. After all, this is a herbivorous creature that is only hostile in self-defense, and yet it has claws capable of ripping through hullmetal and a hide that can shrug off phaser fire. If the tardigrade had to evolve those levels of defense mechanisms, what does the apex predator in this ecosystem look like?

I think they're just riffing off the (real) tardigrade's famous ability to survive just about anywhere. Its one of the most resilient species in the real world and can withstand almost anything.

Question for people who have seen episode 3:

Do you think it should have been the pilot. With the events of the previous two episodes instead revealed via flashbacks?
Would that be better or worse as a show? Or too Lost/Arrow?

IMNSHO the previous two episodes could have been condensed to one, and episode three would have been better as an episode 2. The most obvious stuff to cut was everything told from the Klingon point of view. That method of storytelling is does not fit in with past Trek (our POV matches the crew, it is not omniscient), and those parts of the story could have been told better by later doing an entire episode shown from the Klingon POV or a history episode.

Also, to be quite frank, I don't care for the long, serialized plot of Klingon war. I prefer my Star Trek to be episodic, and I like it to be based on exploration and science. Spending the first three episodes on the same war drama does not appeal to me.

But, in the end, the biggest benefit of doing a web based show rather than a broadcast show is that its easier for the audience to experience a season as a single piece. The studio doesn't have to worry as much about the ratings of each individual episode, and they can assume more story retention between episodes. So I should probably just be quiet and judge the season as a whole rather than complaining.

Last edited:

Remove ads