Discussing Sword & Sorcery and RPGs

CapnZapp

Legend
Balance is a designer-created solution for a designer-created problem.

It's a bit like praising Exxon for its efforts and all the money it spent helping to clean up the Exxon Valdez oil spill.
Okay, I stopped reading there. You are now officially preposterous. Good day.

Aldarc

Legend
Many Fate flavors are "everyone has the same number of skills, and the same number of each level..."
The use of the Pyramid ...
+5 ×1, +4 ×2, +3 ×3, +2 ×4, +1 ×5...
"advancement" in many of these is simply swap a skill at +X with a skill at +(X+1)
EG freido has Sword +3 and Blaster +2, and hits a milestone, so deciding he needs more blaster, he swaps them and now is Sword +2 and Blaster +3. He also later swaps his +1 pilot (and awarness 0) for Awareness +1 and Pilot 0.
It's not the same kind of balance, but it's a tyrannical one - not all skills are equally valuable in play, but are equal in Allowed Skill Levels. Picking wisely can be a big issue.
You're laying your thumb quite heavily on the scale there, mate.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Call me naive, but what's with all these flamewars about game systems? I'm too cheap to play Warhammer, so what? Plenty of people like it and I appreciate the creative outlet of painting the minis. I think 4E is trying too hard to be World of Warcraft--maybe some other people like it, let them enjoy it. I think 5E's death saves make it a little too Disney--maybe when my current campaign is done I'll find a DCC group. If I don't like coffee ice cream I don't start a holy war against it...

Remove ads