• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Discussion) General Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Hmm... on the topic of the third Delmontes Technique feat...

First off... Gary - it only requires four feats (EWP: Whip, Weapon Finesse, and Delmontes Techniques I and II), but it has a BAB +4 prereq from Technique II, so you're looking at at least 6th for a fighter or bard (who is automatically proficient with a whip, iirc), and 9th for everyone else...

But anyway... perhaps the third feat could also up the damage to 1d8? That does make it roughly equivalent to a longsword that you can use out to 15 feet, which is moderately powerful... but as you mentioned, gary, it has a handful of prereqs, so it should be powerful ;).

Also, we have to be concerned about the smaller races. Their whips only deal 1d2, so the first Delmontes feat increases it to 1d3, and the second to 1d4, for the smaller races. So we'd almost have to have the third one increase the normal damage for medium-sized races to 1d8, so that smaller races can have a whip dealing 1d6.

Thoughts? Am I trying to go too far with this one feat? ;)

Macbeth

First Post
That might be a little powerful, what if the whip only threatend up to 10ft? That would make it slightly less powerful, so that 1d8 damage would definately be fine. It may be all right as it is, but I think it would be best if the third feat gave 1d8 damage, no AoO, and 10 ft threatened area.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Macbeth said:
That might be a little powerful, what if the whip only threatend up to 10ft? That would make it slightly less powerful, so that 1d8 damage would definately be fine. It may be all right as it is, but I think it would be best if the third feat gave 1d8 damage, no AoO, and 10 ft threatened area.

Well... then it becomes a spiked chain, but worse (only 1d8 instead of 2d4). I think the whip should keep the 15 foot reach, even if it is upped to 1d8 damage. If it goes down to 10 feet, even just for purpose of AoO's and what you threaten, I think it loses something.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Uriel said:
If, on the other hand, you mean that these places were created by your starting character, might I suggest a 3,000 point Champions game instead?

Yes, and no. A character, but not a starting character. As in, when my character gets high enough to catch the eye (or stab through the eye, as the case may be) of appropriately powerful people, s/he could begin a settlement or take over a new one or some such thing.

Much like Kahuna Burger's character aspires to be a leader of a network of information gatherers, mine plans to be a Queen. :D So I seem to recall Creamsteak suggested in the previous discussion thread that people could expend a feat to own a shop/begin a town/begin a city/etc., at X, Y, and Z level. I would think, though (and here's where I start phrasing everything really carefully so I don't sound presumptuous :p) that it would be better if such things were done by role-playing. That is, it's perfectly within the realm of possibility for a character with a high diplomacy check, of whatever level, to walk in to a town and win the election for local headsman, or for someone with a high leadership score (or lots of coin for mercenaries) to march in and take over a small tract of land. As a campaign event, I really, really like the idea of two large political and military forces clashing... especially if they're both led by PCs.

The obvious difficulty with this, of course, is that we're sort of developing the world as we go along, which means that you can't really figure out what the Duke of Westmoreland's neighbor will do when you attack him because his neighbors don't exist yet. Still, I like it better than feats, which seem somewhat arbitrary (since even the Cha 6 Half-orc barbarian can take them.)

(As a side note… blue hair is cool. :D)

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Thomas Hobbes said:
Yes, and no. A character, but not a starting character. As in, when my character gets high enough to catch the eye (or stab through the eye, as the case may be) of appropriately powerful people, s/he could begin a settlement or take over a new one or some such thing.

Much like Kahuna Burger's character aspires to be a leader of a network of information gatherers, mine plans to be a Queen.

I'd say you picked the wrong adventure then by going for the assassination plot over the town saving... But you didn't know the backstory of the bandits... ;)

Kahuna Burger

Creamsteak

Explorer
Erm... the feats to gain certain degrees of political power/etc. were the rules arbitration that would go hand and hand with the actual gaming to get to that point...

Sorta like how Leadership (in any game I've ran) doesn't get you x followers instantly, you actually have to find every last one of them and all, the feat just provides mechanics (and a limit) to that ability.

Janos Audron

Explorer
Macbeth, I've mailed you twice, but I haven't heard from you. Could you review my character (Thebis-Ra in the Official Character thread)?

Macbeth

First Post
Sorry, Janos, I only got one of those emails, and that one for some reason arrived very late. I'll happily review your character, I'll get it done this afternoon. Sorry for the delay. If anybody else is having trouble getting mail to me, you can also try slatorra@nmsu.edu or solid_ender_182@yahoo.com. Between those three something should get to me. I'll try and figure out why my schools mail server has been acting up, but until then, if you think I may have missed your email, try the alternate addresses above.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
As one of the first characters to level up, some questions...

how are we doing hit points? Average for the HD would be fine with me.

do I replace my old character sheet completely or post a new one?

Does Joe offer banking? :p

kahuna burger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads