• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Discussion) LA+ race availability - read post first, please vote.

Would you support LA+ races for LEW charcters and under what circumstances?

• No, I don't want LA+ races at all

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Yes, with [i]negitive levels[/i]

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Yes, with [i]racial levels[/i]

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Sort of, with [i]lesser versions[/i]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, with [i]PC Tradeout[/i]

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Yes, with an[i]other[/i] option explained below

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I neither oppose nor support LA+ races

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Poll closed .

Knight Otu

First Post
orsal said:
I can't speak for Knight Otu, so I don't know on what grounds (s)he claimed...
Me's a He.
whitbiggrin.gif

Creamsteak

Explorer
A couple things to think on for those of you with opinions:

No change in xp on trade out (I trade a 4th level character for an ecl 4 character)
Static change in xp on trade out (-1 level throughout all levels)
Linear change in xp on trade out (1/2 or 3/4 character level trade out)
Dynamic change in xp on trade out (explained below)

Dynamic change would be something like "I trade out a PC race character for another PC race character with level change x" OR "I trade out a PC race character for a 'easy' monster as race character such as a Goblin, Kobold, Orc, or Drow at a x-1 adjustment" OR "I trade out a PC race character for a 'difficult' monster as race character such as a Lycanthrope, Yuan-ti, or Kuo-toa at an x-2 adjustment" OR "trade out for a 'very difficult' monster as race character such as a Vampire, Hill Giant, or Ogre Mage at a x-3 adjustment."

I'd be in favor of a more dynamic trade out system over a linear or static change, and I wouldn't support an equal level trade out at all.

The Goblin King

First Post
Creamsteak said:
I'd be in favor of a more dynamic trade out system over a linear or static change, and I wouldn't support an equal level trade out at all.

It seems fair but I think the specifics should be worked out. Drow don't belong in the 'easy' column. The SR and innate spells are too much IMHO. Why can't we do NewLevel=(OldLevel-1)-RacialLA ? If you wanted to swap out a 5th level fighter you could change to a race with an LA of 3 and then take one level of wizard. This could also apply to dead characters. If you die you can make a new character at -1 your old characters level.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
For me two cents, I have been DMing for 23 years, well, some playing as well, and the standard races are a bit boring after playing them to death for so long a time. It seems as though the argument for not wanting the LA + races is that you don't want monsters running around the town, which is absured, because I have an Orc right now in an adventure, the very thing you didn't want, and it is here without a LA.:p

As far as the LA races go, I understand why so many of you are in favor of them. It rewards players who have achieved at least first level. However, I think it is unfair for those who are just starting out. Logically it doesn't make sense to get a character and raise him in levels and then pick a new guy to play and create a new personnality. I think that the "Simple" method that Creamsteak propsed )-1 to all saving throw, skills, etc,) is best as if is fair to all. As a secondary option, I support a trade out, level for level, when you either die or retire.

crueldespot

First Post
I voted for "Yes, with an option I would describe below" which is this: LA races are OK - BUT ONLY those described in the SRD. I think it would be very dangerous to start taking proposals for new player-created races that have level adjustments.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
I voted for "Yes, with an option I would describe below" which is this: LA races are OK - BUT ONLY those described in the SRD. I think it would be very dangerous to start taking proposals for new player-created races that have level adjustments.
I guess I would agree with this as long as player could still propose races of 0 LA.

Remove ads