Discussion PHB3 Hybrid Characters

CaBaNa

First Post
Cheers,

I know they are forever away, but the wiki system may or may not be changing, and so on, therefore discussion.

PHB3 will release official Hybrid Rules, that are "Balanced"...

What could this do to character checking?

What might the Wiki need to accommodate this?

Are there any potential problems we can preempt?

covaithe

Explorer
I think it's still a bit early to worry too much about this. That said...

I remember glancing through the hybrid rules a while back. I don't think there's anything in them that wouldn't fit on our current character sheets. Basically, instead of your class being "Barbarian", it's "hybrid barbarian/fighter" or whatever. That gives you a slightly different menu of things to pick from, but it's not really much different than any other class, char-sheet-wise.

KenHood

First Post
Nope. No way. Tonk won't go down for the count. He's an awesome sandwich with amazing sauce.

Truth to tell, I'm just joking about dropping Hacker. D&D finally made bards the way I like them, and Hacker's my Johnny Cash/Waylon Jennings (during their hardest drinking and hell raising days) and 'How many references to other stories have I made?' character. (Waylon once blew up a bar with dynamite because the club owner wouldn't pay up on what was owed.) How can that not be fun to play?

Last edited:

EvolutionKB

First Post
Truth to tell, I'm just joking about dropping Hacker. D&D finally made bards the way I like them, and Hacker's my Johnny Cash/Waylon Mason Jennings (during their hardest drinking and hell raising days) and 'How many references to other stories have I made?' character. (Waylon once blew up a bar with dynamite because the club owner wouldn't pay up on what was owed.) How can that not be fun to play?

Just fixing with a great singer/songwriter.

I agree with bards, they rock. Pun totally intended. I don't think there is anything too broken with hybrids yet.

fireinthedust

Explorer
bumping this.

I'd argue that they're in fact underpowered. MAD is a serious issue for most concepts, and even those that synergize well are lacking in major class abilities off the bat without spending feats: defenders without their full armor is big; ditto needing to spend that extra feat on it rather than on weapon expertise or what have you.

so:

1) MAD
2) Feat drain to catch up
3) party composition directing role choices

Personally, I think those flaws should allow someone to pick powers they want in whatever amount from either class, rather than evening out the lists (half of one, half the other).

For example, you might get a wizard paladin who has plate mail at 1st level, sure. However, damage output is still low, ranged attacks still draw AOs in melee, and they're going to be putting all their points into Int (which doesn't help paly abilities) or into Charisma/Strength (which doesn't help wizard abilities). A Tiefling might be helpful, and staff-mage-paladin isn't too bad... but that's the only race that'd do well stat-wise for this combo, and even then you'd have to ask what the character would be good for in terms of party composition: who would want them in the group?

I think it wouldn't be too bad, generally. I'd vote yes, if it came to it (and I could vote; I do, in RL, btw!)

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Then what would stop you from going practically pure wizard, except you get to walk around in plate?

Anyways, things may look different when the final rules are released. It's all just speculation now.

Remove ads