D&D 5E Disengage Clarification

Meliath1742

First Post
OK...my interpretation of the Disengage was straight forward...no opportunity attacks for the remainder of your turn. But I've seen statements from various sources that have added some grayness for me. If you use disengage I figured you could only move your normal movement (e.g. 30'). But I've seen talk of movement being double your normal since you would get your "disengage" movement in conjunction with your normal movement. I just don't read it that way. I've also heard statements that the disengage only worked for the target you were trying to get away from but that you would be susceptible to other OA's from other bad guys you went past. Again...that's not what I read in this simple rule. Am I missing something here?

Dausuul

Legend
OK...my interpretation of the Disengage was straight forward...no opportunity attacks for the remainder of your turn. But I've seen statements from various sources that have added some grayness for me. If you use disengage I figured you could only move your normal movement (e.g. 30'). But I've seen talk of movement being double your normal since you would get your "disengage" movement in conjunction with your normal movement.

Nope. Your original reading is correct: The Disengage action does not give you any extra movement. You get your regular move for the turn and that's it. That's the drawback to using Disengage instead of Dash.

I've also heard statements that the disengage only worked for the target you were trying to get away from but that you would be susceptible to other OA's from other bad guys you went past. Again...that's not what I read in this simple rule. Am I missing something here?

Your original reading is once again correct: Disengage means your movement does not provoke OAs, from anybody, until the end of your turn.

Dausuul

Legend
A rogue can of course double her movement using cunning action to disengage and dash as her normal action.
True, although it's still a tradeoff--if the rogue weren't worried about OAs, she could Dash, then use Cunning Action to Dash again, and move triple speed.

Paraxis

Explorer
I like how *you* don't have to use disengage if you are mounted, but your mount does.

I don't know about that, when the mount uses the disengage action it only prevents opportunity attacks against it. If the rider doesn't also disengage then I would still swing at him.

Meliath1742

First Post
Since you're the rider directing the horse aren't you part of the disengage? It becomes a team effort between the character and his mount...get out of combat without taking damage. Is the rider able/allowed to take any other actions while his horse is disengaging?

Li Shenron

Legend
OK...my interpretation of the Disengage was straight forward...no opportunity attacks for the remainder of your turn. But I've seen statements from various sources that have added some grayness for me. If you use disengage I figured you could only move your normal movement (e.g. 30'). But I've seen talk of movement being double your normal since you would get your "disengage" movement in conjunction with your normal movement. I just don't read it that way. I've also heard statements that the disengage only worked for the target you were trying to get away from but that you would be susceptible to other OA's from other bad guys you went past. Again...that's not what I read in this simple rule. Am I missing something here?

The confusion might have been because Disengage changed since the playtest: the Disengage action used to include 10ft of movement but IIRC now it doesn't.

Remove ads