• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

disintegrate clerical symbols

mmu1

First Post
Christian said:

Oh, and one last thing. Mending, Clr0, Components V,S + broken holy symbol = perfectly good holy symbol. But I know, you probably have much better uses for your 0-level spell slots.

Right. Give the bad guys a "Time Out", take a turn to pick up the pieces, then another turn to cast Mending, and you're good to go.

Christian

Explorer
mmu1 said:
Right. Give the bad guys a "Time Out", take a turn to pick up the pieces, then another turn to cast Mending, and you're good to go.

You were comparing sundering the holy symbol to cutting off the fighter's sword hand. I'm just pointing out that there's no comparison. Sundering a properly prepared cleric's holy symbol is less inconvenient to him than sundering his best weapon is to the fighter. The cleric need only take some minimal precautions to reduce the tactic to a minor nuisance.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Since UMD is a CHR based skill, chances are the abrd is a better caster by far. Better at UMD and can actually cast spells on their own.

It depends on the rogue, but I'll admit, I wasn't being especially serious :)

-Hyp.

Zaknafein

First Post
not sundering/disarm

but the spell disintegrate was the topics main theme... although I greatly appreciate the feedback and see how it can be done melee wise... I was more focused on the spell, would it have the clerics saving throws if he is wielding it or the objects(holy symbol)?

-in honor zaknafein

mmu1

First Post
Re: not sundering/disarm

Zaknafein said:
but the spell disintegrate was the topics main theme... although I greatly appreciate the feedback and see how it can be done melee wise... I was more focused on the spell, would it have the clerics saving throws if he is wielding it or the objects(holy symbol)?

-in honor zaknafein

I don't think it's actually possible to use Disintegrate to destroy a piece of equipment someone is holding or wearing without destroying them as well - it's a ranged touch attack, so regardless of where it strikes, the whole person is affected.

So yes, it would get the cleric's saves, because hitting the symbol means also hitting the cleric.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: not sundering/disarm

Your ranged touch attack is made against an AC of 23, modified by the crature's Dex bonus and any Deflection bonus they have (10 + 8 (Size Fine) +5 (held in hand)). PHB p135.

If it hits, it uses the character's Fort save. PHB p136.

Disintegrate is treated as a targeted spell (like any Ray - Main FAQ), and you choose either a creature or an object - so since you're targetting an object you won't accidentally Disintegrate the Cleric (unless he's providing cover with his body). Main FAQ, Rays striking Cover.

It's probably easier to hit the Cleric than the holy symbol, though, and his Fort save is the same - you've got a better chance of disabling him by aiming straight at him...

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads