• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disintegrate

Taluron

From the SRD: "Only the first creature or object struck can be affected (that is, the ray affects only one target per casting)."

Our group has interpreted this both ways. Currently we let the gear remain. Depends on whether you consider the gear 'part' of the creature.
If you don't you keep the gear. You also get the odd effect of leaving door knobs behind when you disentigrate a door. YMMV

/edit grammar.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Well, you can argue it either way.

Typically, equipment is considered part of a creature for spell effects and whatnot. That's why a fighter's sword doesn't take damage from a fireball (with the possible exception of a natural 1 on the saving throw).

Personally, I say destroy the loot.

Relentless

First Post
A creature is not its equipment.

A sundered sword is not a sundered character.

A disintegrated sword is not a disintegrated character.

The sword disintegrates, the character remains. The character disintegrates, the sword remains.

One creature OR one object.

the Jester

Legend
Relentless said:
A creature is not its equipment.

A sundered sword is not a sundered character.

A disintegrated sword is not a disintegrated character.

The sword disintegrates, the character remains. The character disintegrates, the sword remains.

One creature OR one object.

Does that mean that a creature completely covered in armor (say, magical full plate that grants blindsight) is immune to disintegrate? I respectfully argue that's not a very fun interpetation of the spell and is likely contrary to how it's intended to work, but that's where the logic leads.

As I said, it can be argued either way.

Relentless

First Post
Does that mean that a creature completely covered in armor (say, magical full plate that grants blindsight) is immune to disintegrate? I respectfully argue that's not a very fun interpetation of the spell and is likely contrary to how it's intended to work, but that's where the logic leads.

Logic is correct.

Not immune, protected until the armor is disintegrated.

Then, quite vulnerable.

As I said, it can be argued either way.

One way uses the rules as written. One does not.

Murrdox

First Post
Well, that's a GRAND idea...

But the fact is that you only have to make a ranged touch attack to hit a creature with the spell.

Armor doesn't modify your touch AC, no matter how much or how liitle you are wearing. Therefore armor does NOT protect you from Disintigrate.

The idea that you'd have to disintigrate someone's armor before you could target them is silly.

the Jester

Legend
Murrdox said:
Well, that's a GRAND idea...

But the fact is that you only have to make a ranged touch attack to hit a creature with the spell.

Armor doesn't modify your touch AC, no matter how much or how liitle you are wearing. Therefore armor does NOT protect you from Disintigrate.

The idea that you'd have to disintigrate someone's armor before you could target them is silly.

But you see my point about the logic, right?

That's why I think that it should take out equipment. Or else you could argue, "You can't disintegrate me- I'm wearing war paint over my entire body!" It shouldn't be quite that easy to protect yourself against a 6th level spell.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads