• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disintegrate

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
the Jester said:

But you see my point about the logic, right?

That's why I think that it should take out equipment. Or else you could argue, "You can't disintegrate me- I'm wearing war paint over my entire body!" It shouldn't be quite that easy to protect yourself against a 6th level spell.

My response would be: "You painted your eyeballs?" :D

Andargor

Murrdox

First Post
It CAN take out equipment... but the thing is that the spell only takes out what you TARGET.

So Disintigrate just works oddly that way. Technically, it is bypassing the armor to hit the target, without affecting the armor itself - UNLESS you specifically target the armor - which you could.

I understand what you mean though, it is odd - you hit a fighter in full plate smack in the chest, and he vanishes and turns to dust without so much as a scratch on his armor.

Personally, I think the "Clunk" of all the empty armor and such clattering to the ground amidst a small pile of dust is a pretty cool effect. ;)

MerakSpielman

First Post
If we rule that the ray does not destroy armor with the person it's disintigrating we have a problem.

Are we saying that the ray can pass through substances (like armor) and only affect the creature that is targeted? If so, does this ranged touch attack then ignore cover as well, passing through it to hit the target? Either it passes through EVERYTHING except the target, or it passes through NOTHING, disintigrating the first thing it touches. Since the spell says nothing about dusting armor and not the wearer, I have to assume it will dust both, otherwise we have a ray that can go through things without effecting them.

IMC, I make it work like a Star Trek phasor set on disintigrate. The target, and everything it's wearing and holding, go *POOF*, leaving a fine trace of dust. Of course, then you have the problem that the raised PC has lost all his cool stuff, and the poofed NPCs don't provide the PCs with their cool stuff... Well, life sucks when you get hit with a 6th level spell. At least you get a save. I'd let a limited wish bring back the stuff though just 'cause I'm nice that way.

Oni

First Post
From the official dnd faq:

If a character fails her saving throw against a disintegrate spell, are all her items disintegrated with her?
No. When a character fails a saving throw against a spell or other magical attack, all her items survive unless the spell or attack description says otherwise or the character rolls a natural 1 on the save. If the character rolled a natural 1 on the save, one item the character wore or carried is affected by the spell or attack. (See table 10-1 in the Player's Handbook and the accompanying text for details.) The exposed item must make its own saving throw against the spell or attack.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
By the rules (remember the rules? There's a forum about the rules), a character's equipment is not damaged unless it's specifically targeted. When I get caught in a fireball, my clothes are undamaged-- even if I'm wearing a suit made of flash paper.

If the target creature rolls a 1 on his save, then one random item is disintegrated along with him. Otherwise, he vanishes right out of his clothes, like Obi-Wan did.

Murrdox

First Post
Fireball specifies that it ignites "combustables" and I would rule that includes both attended and non-attended objects. Thus, if you're wearing a suit of flash paper, or you're drentched in oil, you're set on fire.

Otherwise, Auraseer, I'm right with you on Disintigrate.

Relentless

First Post
Interesting.

And a bit contradictory.

One can target an individual while only seeing his armor.

Then disintegrate him, and not his armor.

We must dismiss logic for rules, it seems.

Were he to stand behind the armor, the armor is cover, the cover is struck, the cover is disintegrated.

Should he be in the armor, the armor is equipment, and he is disintegrated.

An object struck is only the first object struck if you are not wearing it.

Interesting, indeed.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Murrdox said:
Fireball specifies that it ignites "combustables" and I would rule that includes both attended and non-attended objects. Thus, if you're wearing a suit of flash paper, or you're drentched in oil, you're set on fire.
This is quite logical, and I might make the same ruling, but it would still be a house rule.

Originally posted by Relentless
Interesting.
And a bit contradictory.
It's not contradictory, it's magic. ;)
The setup might not make sense according to real-world physics, but we're not dealing with physics. Magic has its own, entirely different set of rules. The books clearly define what happens in this situation, so it doesn't matter whether it fits common sense. (Note that "common sense" is just another term for experience, and most real people have no experience with disintegrate spells.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads