D&D 5E Disintegrations

aco175

Legend
Perhaps a powerful NPC is scrying on them for a mission and is willing to pay for the true resurrection. This may interrupt the current mission and what the PCs were planning on doing.

pukunui

Legend
Upon rereading the beholder's entry, I noticed that it can't deliberately target a magic item with its disintegration ray - only nonmagical objects and "creations of magical force". To me, that means that magic items that a creature is wearing or carrying when their body is disintegrated do not get destroyed. That seems to be in keeping with both the disintegrate spell and also 5e in general. It's incredibly hard to damage a PC's stuff in this edition. You can even light a PC on fire and their clothes won't necessarily burn away.

Anyway, here's what I've told my player:

The PC's body is now "a pile of fine gray dust". They'll need either true resurrection (good luck!) or wish (maybe) to return to life as they are. Alternatively, I am willing to count the dust as "a piece of a dead humanoid" for the purposes of reincarnate, since it comes with its own drawbacks (even if you get lucky enough to roll your original race, it'll still be a different body).

As for the magic items, I considered giving each one a save vs being destroyed but decided not to, since it seems like the intent is that they would not be disintegrated with the PC's body since a beholder wouldn't be able to deliberately disintegrate them even if they were just lying on the ground unattended.

The other PCs will gather up the magic items (and presumably the dust) and then the player will make a new PC to play until such time as the others are able to bring the disintegrated PC back to life (either in her own body or a different one). He may even decide to keep playing the new PC and not bother with the dead one, for all I know ...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to add that I'd welcome any suggestions for a permanent solution for the disintegrated PC. The player would like to get the character back, and I'd like to work with her on this. (This is for my DDAL season 4 Ravenloft campaign.)

You could eventually have a mad scientist put the ghost into a construct, bringing the PC back as a warforged of some sort.

pukunui

Legend
I think the idea is you can dodge it.
Yes, but then once it hits you and you become restrained, you have to make another Dex save to avoid becoming fully petrified, which doesn’t make sense. At that point, you’re not trying to dodge, you’re trying to resist.

Also, if it’s Dex because you’re trying to dodge, then all of the rays ought to require a Dex save to dodge.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Also, if it’s Dex because you’re trying to dodge, then all of the rays ought to require a Dex save to dodge.

Maybe they vary in size. The ones that require Dex saves are pinpoints that you can sidestep without leaving your five-foot area, while the other saves are wide rays that cover an area with a five-foot diameter, so all you can do is hope to resist.

PS: My player opted for the Dark Gift. I think she'll enjoy the roleplay aspect.

It's not RAW, but you might allow Reincarnate (druid 5th level). It creates a new body, but it requires you to "touch" a piece of the old body. Collected dust might be enough, DM's discretion.

Otherwise I would back up the "put the spirit into a construct body" suggestion changing race to warforged but keeping everything else about the character the same.

Sadras

Legend
It's incredibly hard to damage a PC's stuff in this edition.

Yeah it is annoying.

What I have offered a few times in combat is after a PC is successfully hit by a monster/spell, to have the damage reduced by x but then suffer the destruction of a vial or potion carried in its place, if it makes thematic sense of course. You essentially make similar offerings with perma items if it would render them unconscious...i.e. using their magic wand or staff to parry the blow of dragon's claw (which just scored a critical hit). Of course you would need the player to accept the deal, and if they didn't - do not be afraid to punish them for their materialistic power-gamey ways. :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases