Disney on books and movies

Quartz

Hero
What with discussion of a D&D movie, I've just seen this on Quora

Mercedes R. Lackey on Quora said:
Disney recently dumped every single one of their book lines that wasn’t in an already-popular movie francise. My books were part of that. My agent told me that they have no intention of publishing any more books that are not tied in to movies and cartoons. And they got rid of all of the authors and the books they had previously published that had not generated any movies. Every single one. Hundreds of books, and dozens of authors.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Coropration doesn't want to waste time managing media IP that doesn't bring in at least "x" dollars for ROI.

Corporations acting like corporations = Completely normal.

The good news being we now live in 2020 and artists can sidestep said corporations entirely now. Freelance editors, publishing on demand, desktop publishing now capable of creating work of the quality only attainable by professional publishing houses (or better) twenty years ago...

Like I said in another thread, Gary Gygax wouldn't start TSR today, or need to hire hundreds of people. He'd set up a kickstarter, raise some bucks and publish D&D himself with some freelancers.

jgsugden

Legend
That is a hard thing for an author as that likely represented a large amount of income. However, not that surprising.

When you create content, it is hard to get people to want your content enough to give you any real negotiating power. If you get it, you've often been locked into contracts that favor someone else. It is a tough business. There are ways to make it - but considering how may people try and how few make a good living at it... tough path to walk.

But we really appreciate the ones that walk it well.

Disney recently dumped every single one of their book lines that wasn’t in an already-popular movie francise.

Serious question: what books does Disney publish that aren't part of an existing franchise? The last time I was at a park they had a few tourist-style books (history of the park, biography of Walt, etc.) Other than that, I don't know what this would entail.

Also, I find the "every single one" and "movie franchise" statement to be a little hard to believe. I highly doubt the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Doc Mcstuffins early kids books will disapear. Ditto with the Walt biographies I mentioned.

I'm not doubting that they cancelled a bunch of books; I'd just like some actual examples of what's going away. It will be interesting to see what IP gets farmed out to other places, and what gets put in the vault.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Serious question: what books does Disney publish that aren't part of an existing franchise? The last time I was at a park they had a few tourist-style books (history of the park, biography of Walt, etc.) Other than that, I don't know what this would entail.

Also, I find the "every single one" and "movie franchise" statement to be a little hard to believe. I highly doubt the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Doc Mcstuffins early kids books will disapear. Ditto with the Walt biographies I mentioned.

I'm not doubting that they cancelled a bunch of books; I'd just like some actual examples of what's going away. It will be interesting to see what IP gets farmed out to other places, and what gets put in the vault.

Man, Disney has a publishing empire. Not just the big media stuff, either. Used to be more of a feeder for potential development. This was about the Hunter trilogy that Disney published not moving forwards, despite Lackey wanting to do more (this post is years old).

Man, Disney has a publishing empire. Not just the big media stuff, either. Used to be more of a feeder for potential development. This was about the Hunter trilogy that Disney published not moving forwards, despite Lackey wanting to do more (this post is years old).

No, her comment on Quora is only six days old, even though from my looking around, it may be referencing an incident from 2013 where Disney sold the rights to a bunch of authors and books to another publishing company, not dumping them outright.

Her reply quoted above was to someone asking her about writing a novel and trying to get Disney to publish it.

She had at least one trilogy (Hunter, Elite, and Apex) with Disney-Hyperion.

I did not realize she did any YA dystopian stuff since I got tired of her stuff years ago. And yeah, that was not part of the 2013 sale, it was one from just back in Feb where Disney "got rid of the authors" by selling the book rights to another publisher, so not dumped by Disney the way she made it sound.

Remove ads