Disney on books and movies

What about the webcomics? A scripter and an artists, earning money with advertising in the web. Later fundcrowning for digital comics sold as pdfs.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The good news being we now live in 2020 and artists can sidestep said corporations entirely now. Freelance editors, publishing on demand, desktop publishing now capable of creating work of the quality only attainable by professional publishing houses (or better) twenty years ago...
You can do the work, but it’s not so easy to replicate the sales figures of a corporation. Most self published books sell very few copies, if any at all.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Disney doesn't do much in originality anymore.

Oh, really?

In the past 10 years, Disney Animation has put out - Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Zootopia, and Moana.

If we include Pixar, we get Brave, Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur, Coco, and Onward.

So, in animation alone, we are getting an original movie every year, on average. And, we can perhaps consider some things that are inspired by previous works, but are entirely new works and not retellings, we then get Sorcerer's Apprentice, Saving Mr. Banks, and Tomorrowland off the top of my head.

And, upcoming are Soul and Jungle Cruise.

Disney doesn't do much in originality anymore.

Oh, really?

In the past 10 years, Disney Animation has put out - Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Zootopia, and Moana.

If we include Pixar, we get Brave, Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur, Coco, and Onward.

When you remember that Disney was built on things like Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, and The Little Mermaid, the "anymore" part makes even less sense.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Disney doesn't do much in originality anymore. People are surprised?

Hollywood produces tons of movie content every year; hundreds of films. Last year had Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, Us, Yesterday, Knives Out that I saw myself, and tons of others that I didn't.

Disney itself, I'm not so sure about, though it does do a lot of animated stuff which I don't tend to see myself. A quick look at Wikipedia reveals Noelle, Artemis Fowl, Penguins, and Togo, but yeah, most of it is sequels -- Toy Story, Frozen, Marvel, Star Wars, remakes of Lion King, Dumbo, and Aladdin, plus Fox stuff which Disney owns now.

Remove ads