• No

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Serenity Curry

Votes: 11 21.2%

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think the Reavers have been around that long in-universe, have they?

I got the impression that it was within the characters' lifetimes that the Miranda incident occurred. There would be no new Reavers, as what created them no longer exists.

So, Wheadon has said that a lot of what's in the movie is stuff we would have seen in the second season of the show, had it had a second season. However, it isn't exactly clear how much the origin of the Reavers may have changed, which can be seen in one notable plot hole...

Miranda, in the film had 30 million people on it. But somehow, the entire 'Verse forgets its existence within their own lifetimes? That doesn't make a lot of sense. It can make more sense if there's more time, for example - the longer the Alliance has to erase Miranda, the better.

Beyond that, in the episode Bushwhacked, we see example of a new Reaver created, and the episode tells us Mal has either seen it before or has heard of it happening. Whether this happens because the chemical agent used on Miranda is transmissable, or a new Reaver comes about through pure psychological trauma of watching what Reavers do, is never established.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
I loved Firefly for what it was: a space western with just a soucant of "The Continuing Adventures of Han Solo."

But the reason it worked was because it didn't work.

Firefly originally did not work. It was shown out of order, was given death time slots and inconsistent ones at that, got butchered by pan & scan, was advertised as something it wasn't (a wacky space comedy), and existed at a time before binge-watching.

Firefly was a happy accident that got rediscovered once it made its way to DVD and Netflix. It ushered in the era of binge-watching and was boosted by being the "failed" show by the creator of Buffy.

But the charm of it was from not just the cast but also the scrappy underdog story of its failure (even if it was a bit inside-baseball),

Hard pass. Let the past die and build something new.

I guess the final choise will be to produce a spiritual succesor, the same formula/way/method but within Star Wars, because this is a better hook for the audence. We only would need a group of charismatic people, somebody you would become friend if they were your coworker.

MarkB

Legend
I loved Firefly for what it was: a space western with just a soucant of "The Continuing Adventures of Han Solo."

But the reason it worked was because it didn't work.

Firefly originally did not work. It was shown out of order, was given death time slots and inconsistent ones at that, got butchered by pan & scan, was advertised as something it wasn't (a wacky space comedy), and existed at a time before binge-watching.

Firefly was a happy accident that got rediscovered once it made its way to DVD and Netflix. It ushered in the era of binge-watching and was boosted by being the "failed" show by the creator of Buffy.

But the charm of it was from not just the cast but also the scrappy underdog story of its failure (even if it was a bit inside-baseball),

Hard pass. Let the past die and build something new.
None of that happened with its UK broadcast, and I still managed to enjoy it just fine, when it was first shown, for its own sake, not for any meta reasons.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
None of that happened with its UK broadcast, and I still managed to enjoy it just fine, when it was first shown, for its own sake, not for any meta reasons.
Indeed. Back then, Firefly didn't air in Italy. When I moved for two years in the US, Serenity came out in the theaters. I was vaguely aware that it was based on a TV show. I went to see it and I really loved it and later bought the series on DVD and loved it even more.

Miranda, in the film had 30 million people on it. But somehow, the entire 'Verse forgets its existence within their own lifetimes? That doesn't make a lot of sense. It can make more sense if there's more time, for example - the longer the Alliance has to erase Miranda, the better.

I don't think it was forgotten, just covered up.

The recording from the rescue ship that the Serenity crew found says something like "It wasn't what we expected; it wasn't a war or a terraforming event." Clearly, the government was confused when they lost contact with Miranda . They had no idea what happened, and sent the rescue ship for recon. After getting that transmission, it would have been relatively easy to just lie and report that it had been some sort of disaster that killed the colony and made it toxic due to radiation/disease/technobabble. The reavers would actually help that cover up by killing any scavengers or conspiracy theorists who came searching.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think it was forgotten, just covered up.

No. It was forgotten. As I recall, when the crew of Serenity learned about it they went, in effect, "Miranda? What's that? Never heard of it." If it had been sold as a massive accident or catastrophe within their lifetimes, folks would remember it, because it took 30 million lives.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, Wheadon has said that a lot of what's in the movie is stuff we would have seen in the second season of the show, had it had a second season. However, it isn't exactly clear how much the origin of the Reavers may have changed, which can be seen in one notable plot hole...

Beyond that, in the episode Bushwhacked, we see example of a new Reaver created, and the episode tells us Mal has either seen it before or has heard of it happening. Whether this happens because the chemical agent used on Miranda is transmissable, or a new Reaver comes about through pure psychological trauma of watching what Reavers do, is never established.
None of those things are plot holes.

30 million people on a planet with little outside contact, kept under wraps by the government, and then all mention of it scrubbed from records, is entirely believable. It's quite likely the verse has multiple times more population than modern day Earth, and who is going to remember a small unremarkable world like Miranda? The test subjects were probably chosen in part to avoid selecting one part of a large but close extended family, which isn't hard to do, nor is it hard for such a government to shut up any family that does come looking.

The overwhelming majority of people never knew Miranda existed in the first place.

We know Miranda happened during the lifetime of the crew, because Reavers showed up during that timeframe. There is no reason for Mal not to have seen or heard about people becoming Reavers, if they've been around since the war or before it. While they don't explicitly say that the new Reaver came about purely by way of trauma, it is the implication of the episode, and the theory of the show's main character in the episode. Of course, an unanswered question isn't a plot hole.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases