Disney to reboot X-Files (Disney owns an insane amount of Fantasy/Sci Fi IP)

As others have said, when conspiracy theories are reported on daily news as facts and deeply harmful, it becomes much less appealing to have a show focused on them. That being said, the X-Files also deeply mined cryptid lore, UFOs, and general supernatural happenings. I'd rather they focused on that than the government conspiracies this time around. I generally preferred the series when it was a monster-of-the-week show anyway.

But I'd also rather just re-watch the original series than watch a reboot.

Ryujin

Legend
Apart from the issue of the increasing real-life relevance of conspiracy theories (though you could totally do something with AI), I think the will-they-or-won't-they unresolved sexual tension between the leads, which was a huge part of the fandom (remember the GATB and DDEB?) wouldn't work now. Especially with Disney.
They can release more risque properties via Star or Hulu, I would imagine, so that's not a huge block.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
images.jpg

That being said, the X-Files also deeply mined cryptid lore, UFOs, and general supernatural happenings. I'd rather they focused on that than the government conspiracies this time around. I generally preferred the series when it was a monster-of-the-week show anyway.
And places like the Parks Department in Washington state have latched onto and played up the Bigfoot/Sasquatch angle, presumably to be fun and lighthearted. And yet, a number of people in the PNW will tell you they're real and point to the state's signs as proof of it. I wish I was joking. We really don't need to give unthinking people more fodder.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And places like the Parks Department in Washington state have latched onto and played up the Bigfoot/Sasquatch angle, presumably to be fun and lighthearted. And yet, a number of people in the PNW will tell you they're real and point to the state's signs as proof of it. I wish I was joking. We really don't need to give unthinking people more fodder.
:)

Remove ads