Disney to reboot X-Files (Disney owns an insane amount of Fantasy/Sci Fi IP)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Look, if there are three "major offenders" then there are zero monopolies. That's what's called a normal industry. You grew up with NBC, CBS, and ABC as the big three. Even when UPN and Fox came around, they were miniscule. A big three for an industry is a perfectly normal industry. In the industry my company is in, there is a big two.

Your personal standard for what is acceptable is not a substitute for the actual legal requirements of a monopoly. Disney isn't a monopoly, they're not even close, and they are not even the top of their own industry and are under constant threat from not just the top of that industry but from new players in that industry like Google.
Disney isn’t under threat from anyone. At all. Youre being completely ridiculous to even suggest that.

And the fact that you’re acclimated to the corrupt status quo doesn’t make it any less corrupt.

Now, if you bothered reading what you’re replying to, you’d already know that I didn’t call Disney a monopoly, I stated correctly that they violate antitrust laws, which includes and is closely related to monopoly regulation.

Even where your arguments aren’t absurd, they’re the same as arguing that Disney isn’t manipulating IP law, when they have successfully pushed Congress to extend the copyright period multiple times.

“The status quo is bad.”

“No it’s not because it’s technically legal!”

Like you gotta see the absurdity.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Not for "owning too many genre franchises." Disney has a lot of competition. They're nothing close to a monopoly.
They literally are.
Now, if you bothered reading what you’re replying to, you’d already know that I didn’t call Disney a monopoly,

Look, when this is the discourse, I'm out. I am not in to conversations where a guy is behaving that way to try and "win" an argument.

doctorbadwolf

Insulting other members
Look, when this is the discourse, I'm out. I am not in to conversations where a guy is behaving that way to try and "win" an argument.
You do you lol

I don’t give a damn about “winning” any arguments, you’re just full of crap.

if you can’t or won’t actually a whole post to understand what is being said you might want to just not interact with me in the future, though. 🤷‍♂️

doctorbadwolf

Which aspects of which laws?
I’m not gonna get that into the weeds on a political discussion on forums that don’t allow political debate.

It’s not like you can’t google this stuff. “Does google violate antitrust laws” literally pulls up tons of results showing various legal arguments on the topic. 🤷‍♂️

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don’t give a damn about “winning” any arguments, you’re just full of crap.
Time for you to leave the thread, please. You appear to be on your 15th warning, with the 4th highest warning points on the forum in history, mostly for inappropriate language and insulting other members, so it's clearly behaviour that you do not intend to change, so we'll discuss alternative solutions to this problem.

Last edited:

I thinks it's a good thing, in some cases, to have one company own the whole content IP for certain things. I like that Disney owns the Marvel IP. I wish they had the Spiderman IP as well. It was annoying having Sony and Disney get in the way of the Spiderman movies. They made up and made more movies, but still, it's annoying when things like that happen. It also prevents a lot of potential movies, shows, etc. being produced.

As for the X-Files, I still want to see a reboot, but as I've said before, not the same characters. Having a large amount of content also gives them access to a lot of talent. They can access some good writers from other projects. They better not take anyone from Thor Love & Thunder. I would like to see the cigarette smoking man, but I'm guessing that actor is probably dead by now. Maybe a similar character. He was interesting until they started tthe whole black goo garbage.

MarkB

Legend
I thinks it's a good thing, in some cases, to have one company own the whole content IP for certain things. I like that Disney owns the Marvel IP. I wish they had the Spiderman IP as well. It was annoying having Sony and Disney get in the way of the Spiderman movies. They made up and made more movies, but still, it's annoying when things like that happen. It also prevents a lot of potential movies, shows, etc. being produced.
But on the other hand, if Spider-man was fully part of the MCU, we wouldn't have got Spiderverse.

Remove ads