Disrupting casters: how?

Tilenas

Explorer
I know all of this has been discussed a million times, but I'd like some informed opinions on the following: how do you counter the nasty "take-five-foot-step-then-cast" strategy? I also know that this point is moot after level 5 or so, when defensive casting nearly always succeeds, but I'd like an answer to this anyway.

I ask because I'm now DMing a group which has just migrated from AD&D to 3.5. Some of the players have a hard time adjusting to the fact that casters can now do their thing every round with hardly any repercussions, even in melee. I tend to agree that this gives spellcasters an edge that isn't really called for (YMMV, especially if you started playing D&D with 3.0 or later).

One thing I noticed is that it's allowed to take a 5-foot-step with a ready action, allowing melee types to ready an attack that is triggered even if the caster moves 5 feet away on his turn. However, this tactic only works if you start your own turn adjacent to the caster, as you can only make a 5-foot-step if you haven't moved on your turn. This makes it easy for the caster to just keep 5 feet between you, simply by taking his own 5-foot-step on every turn.

Now, another thing that seems to be viable is to ready a move action to move adjacent to the caster when he starts casting a spell. Since the readied action is resolved prior to the action that triggers it, you are now threatening him while he is casting. I've read some heated discussion about that which mostly revolves around the order in which casting, ready action and AoO are resolved.

Are there any other tactics (other than ready a ranged attack and counterspelling) that we're missing? Would you allow the "ready to move adjacent" counter? If not, why not?

Tilenas

Explorer
And grappling, of course. However, none of these fall into the "fail to cast due to damage" category that my old school players love so much...

Greenfield

Adventurer
The "ready action" response is the tried and true. You could also try backing them into a corner. Each round they back up, you advance and hit them. Eventually they run out of places to back up to.

Alternately, have archers designate the spell casters as targets, and then Ready Action for the spell casting. One arrow per round only, but it makes the spell casters lives' miserable. That's the tactic programmed into the system for Neverwinter Nights.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
My friend likes Bards, and one of his favorite tactics is to ready his whip to disarm the caster's material component as he casts.

I'm partial to abusing the Silence spell.

A readied shot from a ranged weapon can be handy if the damage is high. Or cast Silence on the arrowhead you shoot at the mage. Yay, combining tactics!

There are a number of ways to make the area around you difficult terrain so that enemies can't 5 ft step away from you. The PHB 2 Knight class gets such a feature a few levels in. Crusaders can get the Thicket of Blades stance, usually the earliest being at level 6 as a feat or level 8 via the class (their stance progression is super messed up), which makes 5 ft steps provoke. Along similar lines, the Evasive Reflexes feat lets you take a 5 ft step instead of an AoO when someone provokes one from you. Swordsages can also get the higher level "Mirrored Pursuit" stance, and have maneuvers to follow after someone out of turn, too.

Remove ads