• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Divine power info

Cadfan

First Post
Too bad defenders aren't there to do damage, they are there to protect their allies and hinder their enemies.
That doesn't mean that free damage isn't important and useful. I'm not a big fan of myopic analysis of a character class that focuses on role and absolutely nothing else, even something as amazing as an automatic, free seven damage a round.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
That doesn't mean that free damage isn't important and useful. I'm not a big fan of myopic analysis of a character class that focuses on role and absolutely nothing else, even something as amazing as an automatic, free seven damage a round.

A defender should focus on defending. In the paladins case their secondary role is supposed to be leader. One dimensional characters are a bit boring, however I am more opposed to the idea that damage is the be-all and end-all for everyone.

Incendax

First Post
Honestly, what I want to know most is if a feat exists that lets you become proficient in Divine Implements just like Arcane Implement Proficiency.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Honestly, what I want to know most is if a feat exists that lets you become proficient in Divine Implements just like Arcane Implement Proficiency.

I've read the entire thread over at RPG.net and unless I missed something, there is no such feat.

fuzzlewump

First Post
A defender should focus on defending. In the paladins case their secondary role is supposed to be leader. One dimensional characters are a bit boring, however I am more opposed to the idea that damage is the be-all and end-all for everyone.
Enemies take -2 to attacks not including the paladin as normal for marks, so that's something. -3 with Mark of Warding from Eberron. Other than that, it's the entire groups responsibility to deal damage, because if the monsters are dead there will be no reason to worry about them running you over to kill the wizard. Feelings about that aside, it's certainly true. Not saying to forsake armor or shields or whatever, just that a good offense is a good defense.

On another note, the way that other classes defend is through damage as well, though they must attack and hit, except for the shielding swordmage. They cannot, either, absolutely force the enemy to attack them just as Paladin can't.

amysrevenge

First Post

There isn't (my copy arrived today and the first thing I looked for was something like this). They don't really need one in the style of Arcane Implement Proficiency, because while there are plenty of arcane implements (rod, staff, wand, heavy blade, light blade, orb, tome), there are only three divine implements (holy symbol, rod, staff). I suppose being able to take a staff might be good since you could do Weapon and Implement powers with a single item.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
On another note, the way that other classes defend is through damage as well, though they must attack and hit, except for the shielding swordmage. They cannot, either, absolutely force the enemy to attack them just as Paladin can't.

That's not really true, the other defenders defend by making it near impossible for the enemy to get away from them. Yes they attack and hit, but more importantly they actually control.

fuzzlewump

First Post
That's not really true, the other defenders defend by making it near impossible for the enemy to get away from them. Yes they attack and hit, but more importantly they actually control.
Example of this near impossibility? Fighters only have 1 opportunity or immediate interrupt, and same for wardens.

Rechan

Adventurer
The swordmage would like to have a word with you.

The swordmage is not sticky at all. If anything, he goes where the monster goes, rather than the other way around.

Remove ads