D&D General DIY xps foam terrain. Videos? Pics? Advice?

pogre

Legend
This is as done as the cliff is going to get before my Sunday game:
cliff_final.jpeg

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Welp, right now it's just after 12pm and I'm enjoying a frosty beverage on my day off (my work schedule is weird). I've been recutting my piece for Temple of Pflarr b/C the 1st one was...well... it sucked. Though I am very happy with my second attempt shown here.

Please enjoy this short video, while I try to get rid of these tracers (my eyes get all wonky after drawing all those squares!)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Imagine a fortified dam closing off a narrow pass that floods every spring. In fall and winter the dam/wall guards the passage through the mountains, making it the safest for leagues. In spring and summer it holds back the water that would flood the farms in the valley, allowing for a steady productive stream instead.

Now imagine some trolls and giants decided to smash it.

That is what I plan to reenact with this styrofoam that came with my new TV.

I let the foam suggest the story. ;)

View attachment 153576

View attachment 153577View attachment 153578

I dropped this project for now. It just was too big a thing to undertake at the moment, was really struggling with the notion of doors, and I have no immediate use for the scenario I dreamed up. So I put the foam aside for now and am gonna go back to concentrating on painting minis - and maybe make another set of stackers.

not-so-newguy

Alrighty, things are moving along. I really like the "#@!? around and find out" aspect of terrain building. I've decided to dry brush some clashing colors onto the piece, then top everything off with Vanilla White. Anyway, here's where I'm at so far...

received_1606047289770551.jpeg

received_1688531488150165.jpeg

This is my template for dry brushing Bright Yellow onto the Brick Red (no vanilla white yet)
received_350586503693486.jpeg

received_1007850573446900.jpeg

Here's my template for Ocean Breeze on Grey (no Vanilla White yet)
received_321729856632123.jpeg

Pink Blossom on Tan?
received_341907137742234.jpeg

dave2008

Legend
Alrighty, things are moving along. I really like the "#@!? around and find out" aspect of terrain building. I've decided to dry brush some clashing colors onto the piece, then top everything off with Vanilla White. Anyway, here's where I'm at so far...

View attachment 154489

View attachment 154490

This is my template for dry brushing Bright Yellow onto the Brick Red (no vanilla white yet)
View attachment 154491

View attachment 154492

Here's my template for Ocean Breeze on Grey (no Vanilla White yet)
View attachment 154494

Pink Blossom on Tan?
View attachment 154496
Am I correct in say the stone effect is simply carved into the foam by you? Everything is looking great by the way.

not-so-newguy

Which of the images is the "rock" texture? Is that the floor grid? For some reason I thought that was foam in an earlier image.
Yes that's all foam. Most of it is rock texture. The four standing brick walls are sandpapered (80 & 150 grain).
1) Carved everything and gave it texture.
2) Mod podge + black paint for base. 2 wet coats.
3) Base color (Brick Red, Grey, Tan). 1 wet coat (to cover sunken areas), then one normal coat.
4) Dry Brush (current step)
5) Black Wash

I follow this guy's instructions. I've watched this video repeatedly while making foam tiles.

Last edited:

Remove ads