• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General DM Authority

Thomas Shey

Legend
You say that as if semantics aren't important. Up is down and left is right are also semantics.

They absolutely can be. But words also have multiple usage, and frequently someone will decide the usage they're used to is The Clearly Correct or at least Most Properly Used One (and I think that's what you're doing here) and trying to convince them other ones are also legitimate is, for the most part, an uphill and useless fight; as I said, even when you provide citations people will hunker down.

Now, you might not be one of those people, but I have no reason to think you're not, so...

Oofta

Legend
They absolutely can be. But words also have multiple usage, and frequently someone will decide the usage they're used to is The Clearly Correct or at least Most Properly Used One (and I think that's what you're doing here) and trying to convince them other ones are also legitimate is, for the most part, an uphill and useless fight; as I said, even when you provide citations people will hunker down.

Now, you might not be one of those people, but I have no reason to think you're not, so...
Dude, words have meanings. I would say that the words "extremely hostile" is quite clear to everyone other than, apparently, you.

So you can redefine that phrase any way you want, but if you wanted to say you would be upset but not yell, scream or raise your voice then that's what you should have said. If yelling, screaming, raising your voice because of an issue with a game is your go-to then I wouldn't want you at my table.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Dude, words have meanings. I would say that the words "extremely hostile" is quite clear to everyone other than, apparently, you.

Yes. Multiple ones. Some of which are less severe than others. Do you want me to point you to one? I doubt it, and this kind of response is why I say these are useless arguments.

(I'd be hostile, but other people I've known would be more so, and thus "extremely" because they respond badly to bait-and-switch.)

Oofta

Legend
Yes. Multiple ones. Some of which are less severe than others. Do you want me to point you to one? I doubt it, and this kind of response is why I say these are useless arguments.

(I'd be hostile, but other people I've known would be more so, and thus "extremely" because they respond badly to bait-and-switch.)

So if I say that someone that gets extremely hostile over a game is being an a**hole they aren't really being an a**hole in the normally accepted definition of the term because I don't personally interpret it that way? So it would be acceptable to call you an a**hole?

I mean I'm not actually doing that because words have meaning no matter how you personally defined it.

Thomas Shey

Legend
So if I say that someone that gets extremely hostile over a game is being an a**hole they aren't really being an a**hole in the normally accepted definition of the term because I don't personally interpret it that way? So it would be acceptable to call you an a**hole?

I mean I'm not actually doing that because words have meaning no matter how you personally defined it.

You do understand I'm telling you I can point to dictionary definitions of the way I used it, right? Or, am I guessing right, and that makes no difference?

Oofta

Legend
You do understand I'm telling you I can point to dictionary definitions of the way I used it, right? Or, am I guessing right, and that makes no difference?
I'm just trying to explain how I think pretty much everyone is going to interpret your words and that it makes you look bad. Feel free to ignore it.

Have a good one.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'm just trying to explain how I think pretty much everyone is going to interpret your words and that it makes you look bad. Feel free to ignore it.

Have a good one.

So, as I suspected, the fact I used a legitimate version of the term, doesn't matter, even though I also clarified when it became obvious a more severe version was being read into it.

As I thought.

Oofta

Legend
So, as I suspected, the fact I used a legitimate version of the term, doesn't matter, even though I also clarified when it became obvious a more severe version was being read into it.

As I thought.
Last time. I don't care what you meant to say. What you did said will be interpreted as raising your voice, yelling and so on by practically everyone other than you.

But go ahead dig your heals in, that's a good look as well. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads