D&D General DM Authority

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I didn't tell them that D&D wasn't for them, I did the suggest that other systems might be better thing.

Sure. But it's the constant insistence that there is a systemic problem with group/table dynamics caused by how the system works that needs to be addressed within the community of D&D players that leads me to believe that @Chaosmancer needs would be better served with a different system.
Not really on topic in terms of the thread, or your call to make, to be fair. It just comes across as exclusionary and dismissive, in my view. Because, you're trying to negate their arguments through the use of this tack.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I don’t want to get in the middle of this, but since you mentioned my comment about only the “anti-DM Authority side” using the term “Ultimate Authority,” allow me first to admit I was mistaken about that and apologize if I caused any misunderstanding, and second to suggest that it seems like you are maybe getting some cross-contamination between different posters positions here.

Always something to watch for. I've absolutely had people conflate me and other posters with similar (but different in important ways) positions in threads before.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Always something to watch for. I've absolutely had people conflate me and other posters with similar (but different in important ways) positions in threads before.
Yeah, I’ve had it happen to me too, and I’m sure I’ve accidentally done it to others. It’s an unfortunate but understandable reality of forum discussions.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I think there is a pretty large gulf between never having conflict and being unable to work things out without someone stepping in.

Yeah. I've agreed that I don't think either of my groups could make it work, but I'm perfectly capable of seeing how a group with less of a mix of sharp edges and non-confrontational personalities as my two groups have could do the vast majority of problem resolution without a central authority getting in. Worse I'd see it as a being is using the GM as a tiebreaker if the group size demanded it. It'd require a group with a more group-supporting view, but there's nothing impossible about that.

I'm Canadian, so yeah. Also, I was using this as an example, not something I think could ever happen. Then again, if the Queen did that with the full might of the British and US militaries backing her, the result might suprise you!
It is trivially true (and just as likely to happen) if Tom Cruise arrived in Canada with the full backing of the British and American armies.

Does this mean that technically Tom Cruise has ultimate authority over Canada?

It is trivially true (and just as likely to happen) if Tom Cruise arrived in Canada with the full backing of the British and American armies.

Does this mean that technically Tom Cruise has ultimate authority over Canada?
Nope. Because he is not the current Monarch of the British Royal Family.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I didn't tell them that D&D wasn't for them, I did the suggest that other systems might be better thing.
The implication is there.
Sure. But it's the constant insistence that there is a systemic problem with group/table dynamics caused by how the system works that needs to be addressed within the community of D&D players that leads me to believe that @Chaosmancer needs would be better served with a different system.
That doesn't mean that D&D isn't perfectly fine for him and his group the way that they play it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Nope. Because he is not the current Monarch of the British Royal Family.
The odds of the Queen arriving there with the backing of the British and American armies, Tom Cruise arriving there with the backing of the British and American armies and Micky Mouse arriving there with the backing of the British and American armies are roughly equal.

The implication is there.

That doesn't mean that D&D isn't perfectly fine for him and his group the way that they play it.
You decided on the implication, I implied no such thing. Perhaps in the future you should not read so much into what someone posts and just read what they actually post.

Remove ads