DM Brainiac's Prison of the Firebringer (Updated 12/21/05)

Who is your favorite character in "The Firebringer?"

• Allanon Harpell

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Berek Onyxstout

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Gillian Lightfoot

• Grundar

• Jelani Sandulf

• Rhys Thurn

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Rumar Destare

• Terenon

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Hey, you waited three months for the latest update, you can wait a few more days for the next one...I want to write it as much as you all want to read it.

To whet your appetites, I can give you some hints about what will happen in the next post. Terenon visits Lady Alustriel and works with Grundar to set an intricate plan into motion, while the rest of the party return to the frozen northlands only to come across a strange woman walking across the tundra...

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Imruphel said:
Yes, but that doesn't mean I want to wait three months again! ;)

PS: Thanks for posting your stuff; I'm really enjoying it.

Well, luckily, I managed to find an archive of the thread I was typing up for the story hour on my laptop. Glad to hear that people are still putting up with me after such infrequent updates. :)

Chapter 45

Serrila and Terenon wearily made their way through Silverymoon's streets toward the great palace. Neither felt much desire for conversation. Terenon looked at his lover, and his eyes bore compassion and warmth, but the aasimar was unable to return his gaze. Serrila had taken the events of the previous night extremely hard, and had drew into herself. She had not spoken a word since the morning had come, and Terenon could only guess at what dark thoughts rolled through her mind.

Upon arrival at their destination, the two mages were quickly ushered into the palace and lead through the grand halls to a small reception chamber. A few minutes later, the beautiful Lady Alustriel entered the room. Serrila and Terenon rose to honor her, the wizard sketching a perfunctory bow. The lady's smile quickly faltered as she saw the expressions on her guests countenances.

"I assume this visit is not a social call," she said, gracefully taking a seat across from the mages.

Terenon shook his head gravely, then told the tale of Lisa's demise. Alustriel's grief was obvious as the morbid story reached its conclusion. "I will not take the dragon's warning lightly," Terenon said after his tale was through. ""I cannot leave Serrila alone, unprotected. I am asking you to extend protection to Serrila, until the vile wyrm is no more." Or until we are no more, he added silently.

Alustriel nodded and turned to the aasimar. "Serrila must stay here, as a ward of the state. She will be very well taken care of, and I will do all in my power to ensure her safety." Her expression softened, and she says, softly, "I am sorry for your loss."

Serrila suppressed a sniffle, her eyes fixed on the floor in front of her. "Thank you, m'lady," she murmured, the first thing she had said all day.

Terenon sighed in relief. He knew he could trust the Lady's word, and perhaps the time spent with Alustriel would help raise his lover's spirits. "Yes, thank you Lady Alustriel." The wizard turned and embraced Serrila, hugging her close to him. "Don't worry my love. I will take care of everything." He kisses her on the cheek, and the aasimar sniffled again. Then with a nod to Alustriel, he took his leave.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grundar was waiting for Terenon when the mage returned to the inn. "The others have left already?" the mage asked, noting the absence of the other adventurers.

"Yeah, and they took a half-elven woman with them," Grundar said lightly.

Terenon raised an eyebrow but declined to comment. "Very well. I will need a day or two to scribe some new spells into my spellbook. Then we shall construct a special prison to bind the ice devil, Felespar. We will force him to release Lisa's soul and provide with information on the dragon and his minions."

Grundar nodded and followed the mage as he moved to leave. "I sure hope you know what you're doing. The others won't be there to back us up. If the devil breaks free, we're in big trouble."

Terenon looked over his shoulder at the elf. "Then we must make sure he does not break free. Come along, I know just the place to lay our snare."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galiana shivered against the biting cold, pulling her cloak closer around her. The half-elf's armored boots constantly sunk into the snow, and she struggled to keep up with the rest of the party. The others seemed to have magical boots of some sort that allowed them to walk along the top of the powdery slush with ease. Rhys would occasionally look back to check her progress, but Gani always met his gaze with a reassuring grin. The doughty warrior was not one to complain, especially when Rumar and the others so readily accepted her into their fold. She was determined not to let them down.

A low growl sounded behind her, and Galiana had to suppress a shiver that had nothing to do with the cold. Rumar had explained to her about Taigiel, but that did nothing to alleviate the uneasiness she felt having the hulking half-dragon in their midst. For his part, Taigiel seemed neither put off nor amused by her obvious discomfort, merely accepting it. He had dealt with fear and revulsion long enough to become inured to their barbs. The ranger was just glad to be on the trail again. Acessiwal was not so far away now, and with his sire's death would come his freedom.

Up ahead, something moving broke up the monotony of the bleak white backdrop. Two dozen enormous beasts lumbered across the snowy plain in a great herd. Their hulking, brown forms could not conceal their large white tusks. They resembled the elephant that Rhys sometimes summoned, but these creatures were covered in shaggy fur.

The party's attention was drawn from these great beasts to a smaller figure, warily trudging towards them. This figure looked like a human woman, though her dark red skin and flaming bright hair marked her as something else. Her footfalls melted the snow as she walked.

Jelnai stared at the woman moving toward them for a moment, but quickly drew his spear. He turned to the group, “I don’t know what’s going on here, but with our luck lately, we’d best be ready to fight.”

Rumar nodded and drew his sword, opening his mouth to shout out to the approaching woman, only to pause suddenly, his beginning words falling off. Turning his head, he looked at the others uncertainly. "Er...what in the world is someone like that doing up here? I can't imagine she's working for the dragon; a being of fire would hardly be his desired partner. Perhaps it is an underling of one of the dragon's other allies? Demonic in nature?"

Jelani shrugged. “I think that the dragon takes allies of all sorts. They’re smart, and he’s not made of ice after all. I think she might be a creature of the Plane of Fire, a genasi. There’s one way to find out if she’s hostile.” Taking a step forward, he called out carefully, “Excuse me, do you have a minute to speak with us?”

The woman had since drawn her bow as she moved closer, but the comment seemed to bring her up short. She stopped for a moemnt as she tried to think of an appropriate response. "Maybe," she called out. "But first you have to tell me why you travel with a Dragon-Blood."

"I can speak for myself," called Taigiel. The half-dragon moved past the others to look at the strange woman, glowering down at her. "I am Taigiel, son of Acessiwal the White. We travel north to Coldheart to kill my father. If you are an ally of the wyrm, then you are in our way." He rested his hands on the hilts of his swords.

The red-skinned woman was obviously perplexed. She grimaced and lowered her bow slightly before speaking slowly and choosing her words carefully. "Creature, I am Aspar Tenerect, and I am sworn to slay the dragon Acessiwal and all its kin. For your own sake, tell me now why you hunt your father, or I shall be honorbound to attack you and your companions."

Rhys stepped forward then, coming in between the half-dragon and the genasi. "Lady Aspar Tenerect, I am Rhys Thurn, a priest of Torm," he said, bowing slightly. "Taigiel has proven himself a worthy companion and I am convinced of the devoutness of his path. Should you also be of similar purpose, you are welcome to join us on our quest to slay Acessiwal. You've spoken openly and travel with purpose and alone, in such an alien environment. That speaks well of you're character and word. I ask that you do join us and let all of our actions speak of our truth."

Jelani spoke up again as he moved beside Rhys. “I assure you, each of us is dedicated to removing Acessiwal’s threat. And since I’m feeling fair, I have to warn you that if you attack Taigiel, we will have to kill you. It’s nothing personal, but even if you’re dedicated to removing the dragon as well, he has proved himself to be a capable ally. Right now he’s more valuable in this fight than you are.”

Rumar laid a gauntleted hand on Jelani's shoulder, a subtle warning. "I'd prefer to think that we'd merely try to subdue the woman, Jelani; simply because she does not immediately trust the child of someone she apparently hates is no reason to kill her."

Rhys nodded and turned to the mystic theurge as well. "Jelani, though we would most assuredly defend Taigiel. We have the responsibilty to treat Lady Aspar with the same respect and wisdom we extended Taigiel."

“And if he had attacked one of you right off, I would have killed him as well," Jelani replied simply. "If you would prefer that I just allow people to attack you without acting, let me know and I will.”

"Correct; I wouldn't want people just attacking me, but neither Taigiel or Lady Aspar did. Therefore, they are owed the courtesy and wisdom of conversation and a friendly greeting, especially in such a harsh evironment as this."

Jelani stared at Rhys, “I didn’t say that she did, but she made her position clear and I was just making ours equally so. I really don’t care if it seemed rude, now she is aware of just where we…or should I say I stand."

"I just think it'd be needless to kill her, especially when she's simply misguided," Rumar said, gesturing at Aspar. "Everyone deserves a chance to learn from their mistakes; death makes that rather hard to accomplish. While I can understand you being stalwart in your defense of Taigiel and applaud that, I also think you should temper that courage with a degree of compassion."

Aspar's face took on a wry expression as she watched the strangers bicker amongst each other, blatantly ignoring her even while they casually talked about her death.

Taigiel looked over to Galiana, who was watching the entire encounter from a distance with some manner of confusion. "Is it always like this?" the half-elf whispered.

"You have no idea," Taigiel replied. The half-dragon sighed and pressed a clawed hand to his temples, massaging the knot that was forming there. Yet again, the adventurers whose aid he had enlisted had begun to argue amongst themselves. He wondered if he might not have had less stress had he continued on his own, but there was not much he could do now.

"Genasi, I have no love for my kindred. My blood is a curse I cannot overcome. I was forced to flee my hometown of Latona at the age of ten. I kept to the wilderness, ashamed of my heritage, and waging a private war against orcs, ogres, and other evil creatures of the lands. Three months ago, wracked with despair and loneliness, I came across an abandoned shrine to Tempus. There, I heard a voice. It could only have belonged to the god himself. The voice pronounced that only with the death of my sire could I be free. Acessiwal must die. That is all there is to it. If you share the same goal with me, then I do not care what your motivations are. Together we stand a better chance of ending the dragon's reign. Join with us."

Aspar looked at Taigiel for a few moments, then lowered her bow. "Alright, Dragon-Blood. I agree, Acessiwal must die. If you and your friends are on the same quest, then I will join you. Against one such as Acessiwal, I would be a fool not to appreciate the help. Know this though, should you betray me I will know that you are of the same ilk as your father, and I will have to kill you."

With that, she slung her weapon and joined the group, who had apparently finished their argument. As she approached, she put her fingers to her lips and gave a shrill whistle and shouted, "Smoke!" Immediately from behind a snow drift loped a feral-looking wolf with black and gray fur. It bounded up to Aspar, who bent to pat it on the side of the head and rub its ears. It nestled in to her, seeming to take advantage of her warmth on the cold tundra. "This is my companion, Smoke," she explained to the others.

The adventurers formally introduced themselves to Aspar in turn. "We should make camp soon," said Rhys, noting the lateness of the hour. He then turned to the genasi. "I am glad that we were able to convince you to join us, Aspar."

She smiled at the aasimar cleric. "You are a brave man, Rhys Thurn. You choose diplomacy before action. I admire that, for that is not one of my strengths."

Rhys returned her smile. "Might I ask why you seek Acessiwal's death?"

"We can discuss that later as well as compare what we all know about him." Aspar cast a look at Taigiel. "Let us find a camp soon. I believe it will be cold tonight."

Great to see another update, 'Brain. A good read, as always.

Aspar's face took on a wry expression as she watched the strangers bicker amongst each other, blatantly ignoring her even while they casually talked about her death.

This is so like any number of incidents I've had in the past, both as player and DM - in character discussions of tactics or philosophy at not necessarily opportune moments! :D

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Chapter 46

It was not long before the party found a suitable location to set up their camp. Aspar and Taigiel volunteered to keep watch, neither yet fully willing to be defenseless in the presence of the other. They shared few words as the night passed, the howling winds of the tundra outside their shelter the only accompaniment.

Rhys lay awake for some time, too, thinking on the vision he had received the other night. Remember that as long as you live in the hearts of others, you will never truly die, his father had said to him. Was it an omen, perhaps? Or a riddle to be solved? The aasimar did not understand, but he had faith that Torm would reveal to him his duty when the time came.

The night passed without incident, and in the morning the party resumed the trek to the Mect Cliffs, where Coldheart lay. By midday, they could see their destination on the horizon: towering cliffs of white ice and stone. A river sheated in broken ice flows ran sluggishly away from the cliffs, and Taigiel assured that it was this river that wouldl lead them to the entrance to Coldheart.

A noise in the distance caused the adventurers to look off to the west. Rumbling over a snow-covered hill came four great, furry mastodons. Despite their immense bulk, they moved quickly through the snow. Each of them bore a rider: a pale-skinned, white-haired frost giant. The giants made no attempt at stealth as they approached, though they made no threatening gestures either.

Jelani glanced around at the group, “Why don’t we see if we can get through this without a fight. It’s not that we couldn’t handle them, but it would be nice to have some allies to deal with some of the dragon’s armies.”

Galiana drew her greatsword as a precaution, but she kept its tip pointed toward the ground. "Sounds like you already have some experience with them Jelani. Well, if they are friendly they might make fine allies, but I do not trust them. At least not yet. They better not make a wrong move or they will find themselves on the receiving end of Equalor." Saying this, she slightly lifted her sword to clarify whom she meant with the name.

Rumar made no move to draw his sword, for he neither feared nor respected these frost giants. Pity was the only emotion they evoked in him. "Do not worry. I am sure Jelani can persuade them to stand aside. They would have to be mad to attempt to stop us now."

The giants stopped their mounts a fair distance away from the group. The furry beasts trumpeted uneasily as the giants took stock of the party. Then, one giant urged his mastodon a few more paces forward. "Bit cold for you short 'uns, isn't it?" he asked almost casually. "What are you doing this far north of Latona?"

Jelani approached the giants and began speaking fluently in their language. The others watched on, unable to understand the conversation. At one point the giant leader laughed mournfully and shook his head, but then Jelani pointed at Taigiel and spoke at length. The giants began whispering excitedly between themselves, occasionally looking up at Taigiel or pointing in his direction. The leader nodded, seemingly impressed.

"We have heard tales of the one called Taigiel, and his prowess in combat," the giant said," the giant continued, switching to Common and addressing the group at large. "We have not heard any stories of the rest of you little ones. Tell us a tale of your victories. Impress us with your power, and we may lend you our aid."

Rhys stepped forward and cleared his throat. "Perhaps you would like to hear the story of our defeat the vile slaad lord, Bazim-Gorag, the Firebringer. It all began a few months ago..." The priest told the story from its beginning, from the fateful day in Silverymoon when the false Merik Thornridge set up the group to take out the Acolytes of Flame at Acessiwal's behest, all the way up to the bloody battle with the Firebringer himself. Aspar and Galiana listened with interest, for they had not heard the story before. The giants remained silent throughout the tale, making no indication of whether they were impressed or not.

When at last the priest reached the story's conclusion, the leader nodded and turned his gaze to Aspar and Galiana. "What of your females? What deeds can they lay claim to?"

Galiana looked up to meet the giant's gaze. "Although I think my past exploits are of no concern to you, I understand that people like you think strength and battle prowess are all-important. Therefore, I will tell you that the covey of green hags that I faced with three other friends in the Lurkwood are no longer around to tell the tale. It is this battle where I obtained the sword I am wielding today. When it became apparent that this sword was dedicated to the bringing of law to the lawless I undertook a private quest and had it consecrated in the Temple of Corellon Larethian in Evereska so that it is now not only the tool of Law, but also a force for the power of Good." The tone of the woman's voice changed slightly in pitch, not threatening but confident and self-aware, promising a swift death should the giants decide to turn hostile. "I trust this will satisfy your curiosity, and if not just learn to deal with it or bear the consequences."

Next Aspar strode forward, her wolf companion at her heels. "I am Aspar Tenerect. I was born to avenge the defeat of my fathers - the efreet - at the hands of the white dragon Acessiwal. I have journeyed with efreet and salamanders. I have fought wyverns and hydras. I have hunted dragons from Calimshan to Tantras and the High Forest. Now at last I have traced Acessiwal to his lair. I challenge any who would seek to hinder me or my companions from completing our task." With that, she drew one of the scimitars at her belt. With a word, bright flames erupted along the length of the blade, and the genasi raised the weapon into a defensive stance.

Galiana grinned at Aspar and raised her sword as well. "The lady Aspar has spoken well, and I stand by her. We are on a mission, and you can join if you like, or you can die trying to prevent us from accomplishing our goal."

The giants were silent for a few moments, then the leader began to chuckle deep in his throat. "Your ire and determination are impressive, little ladies, but I believe they would be put to better use against Acessiwal and his minions."

Galiana turned to Aspar and winked. Then, to the genasi's surprise, the half-elf began to speak in Ignan, the language of flame. "Little ladies, he says. I guess he doesn't understand how little size matters."

Aspar cocked an eyebrow slightly at the revelation that Galiana also spoke Ignan. Interesting. "I agree," she said quietly, also in Ignan, then turned her attention back to the giants

"Your deeds are noteworthy indeed," their leader was saying, "and perhaps you will succeed where many others have failed. One of our major failings is that we were never able to determine exactly where Coldheart lies, much less how to enter it. With Taigiel, though, you stand a much better chance of finding it. You will have the support of my band in this endeavor. The dragon has captured a few of our kind and uses them as slaves. Ertu will go with you and help liberate them, and he will fight alongside you, as loyal an ally as you will ever find."

One of the other giants rode his mastodon forward beside the leader and affected a salute. "It is my honor to take the fight to the dragon who has caused our people so much hardships," he said proudly.

“Welcome to our group Ertu," Jelani said. "Your aid is most welcome. The question of the moment is whether to continue our journey tonight, or to rest and start out fresh in the morning. Taigiel, how much further is it to the entrance? Are we likely to make it by nightfall, or is it still a bit of a journey?”

"We will definitely reach Coldheart by nightfall," affirmed Taigiel, "though whether we will have the energy to launch an assault on the complex once we arrive is debatable. It would probably be unwise to set up camp so close to the lair of the white wyrm, as he no doubt will have many eyes out looking for us. It may be wiser to camp here for the night and reach Coldheart at midday tomorrow. Ultimately, it is your decision."

"Would he be expecting an attack at night?" asked Rhys. After thinking for a few moments, he continued. "Actually, what is the normal routine for those who live there and how much of the complex can you describe?"

Taigiel shook his head. "I do not know. I have never been to Coldheart before. One of Acessiwal's agents approached me several weeks ago and offered me a chance to join his cause. He told me how to reach Coldheart, and told me once I arrived to wait outside and I would be shown the way in. Beyond that, I know nothing."

"Does Acessiwal know of your desire to destroy him?" Rhys asked.

"Acessiwal's agent approached me about a month ago, before Tempus spoke to me and told me how to ease my suffering. Though I hated my father then, I had not yet set out to kill him. He may not be aware of my quest. Though, if his agents have been watching you, he may have already learned that I travel with you."

"Then let us camp here for the night, that we may be fresh and hale when we reach the dragon's lair," said Ertu. He had dismounted from his great elephantine mount, and the other giants were leading it along as they trundled away across the tundra.

Aspar and Taigiel worked to erect a shelter and set up camp again. For his part, Ertu remained silent throughout much of the evening, keeping watchful eyes to the north and partaking of a large haunch of something from his pack as his meal.

The night passed without event, but the morning brought an unexpected complication: a large snowstorm was bearing down from the north. It would be upon the camp within an hour or two.

"It is not safe for little folk such as yourselves to be out in such weather," said Ertu. "You may be tougher than most, but we will not make any progress with such severe winds and blinding sheets of snow. It would be best for us to seek shelter and wait for the storm to pass before continuing on."

Galiana's expression was dark as she looked at the approaching storm. "In Corellon's name, this looks like too much of a coincidence to me. Just as we are about to continue the weather turns this bad. I think our big companion has spoken true enough that we will not be gaining much ground in this weather.

Aspar was already starting to shiver. "That storm is definitely too cold for my tastes. If you know somewhere we can hole up for a while, let's go. If we can't get to the dragon's lair in this weather, then hopefully it means that the enemy can't get to us, either."

The frost giant nodded. "This way, then." He lead the group a short distance away from the camp, where a small cave in the foothills promised to offer protection from the storm. And just in time: no sooner did they secure themselves within than the snowstorm arrived, the winds driving stinging cold all around. It wouldl be a while before it passed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, miles away in Silverymoon, Terenon awoke with a grim determination in his heart. His preparations were finally completed, and the time had come to attempt his dangerous plan.

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Just a short one today, more to come soon...

Chapter 47

The Dungeon of the Ruins was in much the same condition as it had been the last time Grundar and Terenon had been here. Grundar looked around the binding chamber, shuddering a bit at bad memories of mind flayers and slaad lords. "Are you sure about this?" he asked his friend. "If the fiend gets loose, it will be a tough fight with only the two of us."

Terenon smiled grimly. "Grundar, my friend, the devil will be bested today. Make no mistake about that. I am going to layer some protections on us, then I will begin the binding. It will take a few seconds; just stand still."

The elf sighed but did as he was bidden. Terenon began to cast a suite of protective spells; spells that would render the two of them immune to mind-affecting effects, cold damage, and resistant to physical blows. The mage then spendt a few minutes preparing his trap. He created a perfect circle of powdered silver ten feet in diameter, then inscribed a special two-dimensional bounded figure with no gaps along its circumference. He then enchanted the circle against evil creatures, further warding it with an effect to prevent extradimensional travel.

He pulled out the final scroll and began reading the enchantment. Grundar watched the whole affair with interest, though he really had no idea what's going on. After a few more minutes, the scroll suddenly caught flame, and Terenon released it as it burned up.

A terrible screeching noise filled the room as a jagged tear in reality appeared within the circle. The head of the ice devil Felespar appeared out of the tear, weirdly stretched and distorted. The devil screamed as it tried to pull itself back through the tear, but the force of the binding spell was inexorable, and with a flash of brimstone, its entire body appeared trapped within the circle.

Felespar screeched as it tries to teleport away, but the power failed due to the dimensional anchor effect. Snarling, it held out a hand and sendt forth a deadly cone of cold, but the effect of the spell ended as soon as it reached the boundary of the magic circle. The devil tested the edges of the circle until it was confident there was no way it could leave. Growling, it fixed its gaze on Terenon. "You again! Must I be constantly tormented by your victories over me? Why have you bound me?"

Terenon turned to Grundar and smiles darkly. It had worked. The mage's mouth turned down into a sneer as he spoke to the devil. "I think you know why. I have designed this to be your new home for as long as Lisa's soul is tormented. You can leave once you have released Lisa's soul, and once you have revealed all the information you know on Acessiwal and his minions. Otherwise, you will be confined here for all eternity, unless some fool brings you relief through your destruction. You have one chance. We will be leaving to Coldheart soon, and our prospects for survival are slim. If I die, there will be no chance for you to escape."

The devil snarled and twitched its long tail back and forth in irritation. It crossed its spindly arms across its chest and tilted its head to one side oddly. "I know nothing of Acessiwal or his minions, beyond the fact that the wizard who called me to do his bidding is a sniveling wretch with a penchant for cruel irony. For years he kept hidden from my master the Eye of Night's Embrace; for years, I searched the multiverse for the whelp, to snuff his pitiful existence and reclaim the artifact. And then he has the gall to force me to serve him!

"Now to top things off, you, the one who prevented me from retrieving the artifact, want me to do you a favor? Perhaps you value the the girl's soul more than I value my freedom? I can endure centuries of imprisonment; I will not die. You may live out the rest of your life without finding what you seek, while she burns in the flames of Hell for eternity. What is she worth to you?"

Terenon's eyes went wide at the mention of the Eye. So it was true. Helios was at the center of this. That bastard hired Zan. He must have used Lisa as a scrying focus to monitor the group and its plans, then he killed her to make a point. Slowly, the fury began to rise with Terenon's blood.

Felespar laughed heartily, clearly enjoying the mage's dawning comprehension and subsequent anger. "I see you are familiar with the one called Helios, then. His treachery has affected us both." The fiend sidled up against the edge of its prison and fixed Terenon with an intense stare. "Promise me you will kill Helios and I will tell you what you need."

Terenon smiled back at the devil with great malice. "Oh...he will die. Death will be a sweet release once I am through with him. Tell me what I need to know and release Lisa, and our business will be done."

"You wish for me to release Lisa's soul. I am sad to say that I cannot. It was to be the payment for my service to Helios, but the thieving bastard somehow cheated me out of it. When I returned to Hell, the soul of Lisa LaBurton did not come with me. I have been unable to locate it. I have told you what I know. Now release me!"

"Lies" Terenon snapped. "Release her soul or rot here."

"Would that I could!" snarled Felespar. "I don't know where her soul is! Yes, I loathe the girl, but one measly whelp is not worth being imprisoned on this poor excuse for a world! I told you all I know! Release me!"

Terenon whirled away from the devil and paced the floor. A few minutes passed before he turned back and faced Felespar. "I don't yet believe you. In the heat of battle you made it very clear you took her soul. You will be bound to this spot until the mountains crumble and the seas dry up."

"You must belive me!" the devil cried again, but his words fall on uncaring ears as Terenon prepared to leave. He beckoned Grundar over as he cast a minor cantrip, running his fingers through his hair to straighten it out. Long strands of hair fell away, leaving a closely shorn head.

"It is time to leave," the mage told the elf. "We will have to speak to my mother and I need to make a good impression."

"You'll pay for this, wizard! I will find a way out of here, and then I swear that there will be no place in the multiverse you can run where I won't find you! You--" The rest of Felespar's threat went unheard as Grundar and Terenon disappeared in a flash of light.

Graywolf-ELM said:
Call me wierd or whatever you like. I think that was my favorite update in recent memory.

GW

OK ... You're wierd. ;)

Actually, I really enjoyed that too. I think it's good to see PCs getting tough with the bad guys in ways other than just smiting them ... not that there's anything wrong with a bit of smiting too.

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Graywolf-ELM said:
Call me wierd or whatever you like. I think that was my favorite update in recent memory.

GW

It was a lot of fun to RP that scene, too.

Chapter 48

The smells of home. There was nothing quite like it. The mixture of moist air, Ganther flowers, and a hint of apple blossom. Terenon had not been back for many years. It filled him with mixed emotions.

Grundar and Terenon had teleported far away from the Dungeon of the Ruins, in the Dalelands east of the Silver Marches. Specifically, in Daggerdale, and even more specifically, in the town of Dagger Falls. The mighty Falls themselves laid just beyond the city's south wall, sending a spectacular spray into the air as the Tesh river drove the water on its journey to the Moonsea. Toward the center of the town were the higher-class residences, including the home of Terenon's mother. The three-story mansion was made of some sparkling stone, probably enchanted to enhance its beauty. An elegant knocker carved into the likeness of a griffon's head adorned the doors. With trepidation, Terenon approached the door. He fidgeted with his clothes picking lint off from here and there. The mage squared his shoulders and used the knocker to announce his arrival.

"Do you think Felespar was lying?" Grundar asked as they waited.

"Without a doubt. We shall have to find another way to locate Lisa's soul. I hope my mother might be able to help..." The mage trailed off and looked into the air above his head.

"What is it?" asked Grundar.

"Scrying sensor," Terenon said simply.

The sensor only remained for a brief time before disappearing. A short time later, the door swung inward. On the other side stood a kobold, clad in the elegant dress of a butler. The scaly humanoid bowed before the two adventurers and gestured for them to enter.

"Madame is waiting in the parlor," the creature said, gesturing with one white-gloved hand. "May I take your coats?"

Grundar seemed a bit surprised to see the kobold greeting them, but Terenon was unconcerned, so the elf followed his friend's lead and offered his coat to the little butler. The kobold lead them through the elegant foyer (complete with crystal chandelier and exquisite, if illusionary, artwork) into a plushly appointed parlor. Within stood a beautiful middle-aged woman with a regal air, clad in a fine dress and no-doubt expensive jewelry.

"Your guests, Madame," said the kobold.

The woman smiled and inclined her head. "Thank you, Gunther, that will be all." As the kobold exited, her smile broadened and she gracefully moves to embrace Terenon. "Adrian! What an unexpected surprise!" She kissed the mage's cheeks, then looked at Grundar. "Who is your handsome young friend?" she asked, looking the elf up and down with an appraising eye, like a wolf looks at a rabbit prior to the kill. "I am Lindsay Thantos, Adrian's mother," she said as she extended a hand toward Grundar.

Grundar smiled and kissed Lindsay on the hand. "My name is Grundar. You have groomed a fine son, Mrs. Thantos. Tere...um, Adrian has been a valuable companion in our travels."

Terenon saw his mother pondering the carnal possibilities Grundar represented. Quickly, he spoke up. "Hello, mother, I hope the world has been treating you well. You look as if not a day has passed since I saw you last." He hesitated a bit, then asked, "How is Father?"

Lindsay made a flippant gesture with her hand. "You know your father, never satisfied. Now he's trying his hand at politics, campaigning to be the next mayor of Dagger Falls. I swear, that man won't rest until he surpasses Elminster himself. I'm afraid the Mage of Shadowdale has a few thousand years' head start." She laughed lightly, a breezy sound, then gestured for Grundar and Terenon to have a seat. She in turn lowered herself into a comfortable chair, crossing her legs in a very ladylike manner.

"So tell me about your journeys, Adrian," she said, resting a hand familiarly on Terenon's knee. "How was Silverymoon? Is it as beautiful as they say? And how are your studies coming along? I'm sure by now you're beginning to master the toughest of spells."

He gave his mother a mischievious smile. "My power grows daily. I am becoming accomplished in a variety of dweomers. Silverymoon is a wonder. It has a polished charm hard to find in the wilderness here. You should make your way there one day." His voice lowered a bit and he looked around to be sure they were alone. "As my power grows, so does the caliber of my enemies. Tell me, have you heard of a mage named Terenon?"

"Terenon?" asked Lindsay. "The wizard who helped defeat the slaad lord that was bound in some dungeon or another? Yes, word of his exploits have reached this far east already. He is said to be very powerful indeed." A dangerous gleam came into the woman's eyes. "Why? Is he one of these enemies you mentioned? Do you need me to do something about him?"

"No Mother. I'm Terenon."

Lindsay blinked a few times, not quite understanding. "I beg your pardon?"

"I'm Terenon, mother. I needed to make my own way in the world without being tied to the Thantos name. I wanted to prove to Father...well, that matters little now. A girl I saved, Lisa, has been savagely murdered and her soul taken by a devil. A mage bound that devil to do the deed. It was to serve as a warning. I learned who that mage is.

"You must understand that this girl was my ward, and now her soul burns in hell. The coward could not face me directly. He hides in the shadows and strikes at me with what he thinks is impunity. Thrice he has sent assasins to do his bidding. It is your lover, Helios. He has drawn all of my ire. Would you aid me in my quest for revenge?"

Grundar raised his eyebrow in surprise. Helios was the lover of Terenon's mother? This kept getting more interesting by the moment...

"Helios did all that?" Lindsay asked, clearly taken aback. She shook her head in confusion. "He's not my lover any more...we separated a few years back. That sniveling whelp! I should have known he was bad news from the beginning. What did you do to him that he wants to hurt you so badly? And what can I do to help you?"

Terenon begins to relay the story about how the group had found out about Acessiwal and his plans for conquest, and the subsequent plea from Lady Alustriel for aid in defeating the wyrm's plans. "Helios works for the white wyrm. I doubt he knows my true lineage. Do you think you could get him here? A rendezvous spot for previous trysts. Grundar and I will take care of the rest. I know it's a great deal to request, but time runs short. You are my best chance to take him and save my friends."

Lindsay bit her lower lip as she considered Terenon's request. "I can do it. It might take some time though, especially if Acessiwal won't let him away from Coldheart. Can you afford to wait?"

Terenon shook his head slowly. "No, I can't." He let out a heavy sigh. "I thought maybe you would be able to entice him sooner. I'm sorry to have brought worry to you. I promise I will visit later under better circustances. Grundar and I should meet up with the others now."

Lindsay squeezed Terenon's leg affectionately. "I am dearly sorry I could not have been of more help. Though if you ever need me, don't hesitate to call on me. You know I'd do anything within my power to help you."

She embraced her son again, holding him close. "Do take care of yourself, Adrian. I would be devastated if anything untoward ever happened to you. And visit more often! Your old mother gets lonely sometimes."

She again looked at Grundar appreciatively, almost hungrily. "You be sure he stays out of trouble. And feel free to visit whenever you like, as well. A friend of Adrian's is a friend of mine."

Grundar opened his mouth to say something, but Terenon quickly intervened and began ushering the elf toward the door. "Farewell, mother...send my regards to Father."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rumar stood guard at the entrance to the cave, doing his best to focus more on peering pointlessly out into the snow and less on his overwhelming desire to move completely out of the biting wind. If nothing else, the storm seemed like it was coming to end; he couldn't have that much longer of a wait.

The paladin squinted his eyes to see a little better. He thought he had seen a flash of light nearby, but he couldn't be sure. After a few moments, though, he could see the silhouettes of two figures approaching through the dying storm. His hand went slowly to his hilt, but then the figures became more distinct and recognizable. "They're back," he called flatly to the others in the cave behind him.

"'They?'" asked Aspar, looking at Rumar with some confusion. "Who are 'they?'"

Rhys smiled broadly as Grundar and Terenon passed Rumar and entered the cave, snow clinging to their hair and clothes. "They are our friends," he said cheerfully. "Welcome back. What did you learn?"

After a few quick introductions, Terenon sat down and quickly began to appraise the others of what he had learned. He avoided telling them about the bound ice devil, mainly so Rumar wouldn't go off to try and 'save' it. "You were right Rhys. Helios is the mage behind the golems, Zan, and the death of Lisa."

Taigiel curled his lip up, revealing rows of razor-sharp teeth. "Then the mage will die alongside my father. Coldheart is close now, and the storm has passed. The end draws near."

Galiana grinned and patted the half-dragon on the shoulder. "Death to Acessiwal. We will vanquish the beast or we will die trying." With a mischievous wink, she added, "Although I would prefer the first."

Remove ads