DM Brainiac's Prison of the Firebringer (Updated 12/21/05)

Who is your favorite character in "The Firebringer?"

• Allanon Harpell

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Berek Onyxstout

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Gillian Lightfoot

• Grundar

• Jelani Sandulf

• Rhys Thurn

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Rumar Destare

• Terenon

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Terenon

First Post
Reading

Been a while since I've read the whole thread. I'd forgotten how good the story was. Although reading about my character's death is a bit unsettling. :p

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Chapter 38

"To one end, Taigiel!" Rumar barked, whipping Pergium out and thrusting it skyward. "I will stand guard at the other!" A burst of light and faint music issued from the sword as he said this, its presence helping to soothe scattered minds and uncertain arms. Metal-encased feet dug into the ground as Rumar bunched his body up behind his shield, positioning himself in between two of the incoming golems and the rest of the group.

Taigiel dropped the bodies of Grundar and Terenon unceremoniously to the ground as he unlimbered his bow. He snarled once as he interposed himself between the other pair of constructs. In between the half-dragon and the aasimar, the others prepared for combat. Allanon cloaked himself in a mass of mirror images, and Rhys began the words and gestures of a summoning spell. Jelani drew his spear and concentrated, the tip of the weapon glowing briefly as the metal transformed into solid adamantine.

Then the golems were upon them charging forward and lashing out with powerful fists. Rumar stood firm before their assault, catching one fist on his shield while sidestepping the second. Taigiel also managed to dodge one golem’s slam, but the second connected solidly with his chest and drove the half-dragon back a step. Bruised, Taigiel backed up some more and quickly nocked a series of adamantine arrows to his bow before driving them into the body of the nearest golem.

Rhys completed his summoning, and a trumpeting noise signalled the arrival of a golden celestial elephant behind the golems menacing Taigiel. The magical beast laid into the constructs with its massive tusks, shearing off chunks of magically enchanted ice. The aasimar priest nodded, then cast another spell. “May Torm grant us the heart and strength to survive this battle,” he intoned, and a brief golden glow surrounded the party, suffusing them with vigor.

Jelani meanwhile attended further to his spear, chanting softly. A bright green glow covered the weapon, running down the haft and settling on the adamantine point. The spear was now temporarily bane against constructs, and would deal extra damage with each hit.

"I'm really—starting to—hate these blasted things!" Rumar snarled. A small chunk of ice flew through the air, all but literally beaten off one of the golems by the paladin's wild swings. Pergium buzzes furiously, the sword irritated by it's inability to truly hurt its target.

“This will protect you for a time,” said Allanon as he withdrew a slender wand from his belt. He spoke its activation word and touched it to Rumar, and the aasimar’s skin became as tough as stone. And just in time too, for the golems slammed their fists into the paladin, hurting him even through the protection the stoneskin offered. At the other end of the alley, the golems turned to face the massive elephant that had appeared behind them. Fists flashed reflected light as they pummeled the summoned creature, battering it quite badly. However, Taigiel seized upon the distraction the elephant caused, sending several more adamantine arrows to crack through the ice golem’s body.

The elephant retaliated against the golems, goring another chunk out of the damaged golem. Rhys cast another spell, conjuring a glowing golden hand that swooped down to grasp at an undamaged golem. Unfortunately, the golem’s spell immunity held, and the hand passed through it as if it wasn’t even there.

Jelani moved up to support Rumar, stabbing out with his enchanted spear. The weapon did not penetrate the enchanted ice armor that the golem was encased in, merely poking at the thick surface.

Grunting a quiet thanks to Allanon, Rumar considered the golems for a few moments before grudgingly assuming a defensive position. Much as he hated to admit it, he really probably should have bought one of those scarabs that everyone else went out and obtained. Just seemed like such a dirty tactic at the time...[/i[ he thought as he prepares himself to get pummeled about some more. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Allanon hustle across the street to use his wand of stoneskin on Taigiel.

The golems facing Jelani and Rumar split up, each choosing one of them as a target. Both mystice theurge and paladin took a heavy blow from the golems’ fists. On the other side, one golem bashed the celestial elephant until it had taken too many hits for it to bear and vanished in a puff of smoke, sent back to the plane from which it was conjured. The fourth golem moved up to engage Taigiel once more, delivering a solid hit to the half-dragon’s shoulder. He felt his arm grow numb from the blow, but there was nowhere else for him to back up to, and he dare not eschew his bow for his blades would do little against the golem. At poink-blank range, he dropped his defenses, taking another blow to the side. Ignoring the pain, Taigiel drove three more adamantine arrows home, and he was rewarded as the golem toppled over, bereft of movement.

Rhys frowned as the elephant disappeared, but he wasted little time, beginning another summoning. This time, he sent his prayers out ot the Elemental Plane of Fire, and a crackling portal of flames began to open as he worked his magic.

Jelani fared better against the golem he faced, his glowing adamantine spear driving two large holes in the construct’s body. Though clearly damaged, the golem showed no sign of letting up.

Allanon returned his wand to his belt as he retreated a bit, resorting to his innate magical talents. A few quick words and gestures, and the party members began to move faster, enchanted with a haste spell.

The golems showed no imagination in their tactics, continuing to swing away with their fists. For all they lacked in variety, their attacks continued to prove effective, battering Jelani, Rumar, and Taigiel.

Bleeding and badly beaten, Taigiel ducked an opportunistic swing as he turned around to aid Jelani, sending a barrage of adamantine arrows into the theurge’s opponent. “Rhys! Healing!” he growled.

The roar of fire heralded the arrival of Rhys’ conjured elemental, which wasted no time in laying into the golems with flaming fists. The priest heard Taigiel’s call for healing, and he was happy to oblige. “By Torm’s will,” he said, channeling positive energy and restoring the half-dragon’s battered form.

Jelani drove his spear twice more into the golem before him, the enchanted weapon easily tearing through the construct’s body. It slumped forward, the binding that held the animating spirit severed by his spear. He allowed himself a grim smile; all told, they were doing well so far, and it felt good to be tearing apart these abominations. They would prevail yet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unseen by the adventurers, a dark-clothed figure watched from the shadows of a rooftop above the battle. Yarrick Zan, once more disguised in the body of a female half-elf, watched and waited. Its thoughts were cold and calculating, its belly sated with fresh brains. Unconsciously, it licked its lips. The brains of adventurers were always particularly sweet, full of a myriad of experiences. And once this fight was over, it would have even more to feast on.

Zan saw the priest heal the half-dragon, and knew it was time to act. If Rhys was allowed to restore the others too, there was no way the assassin would be able to take the rest down. That would be a mistake, and Yarrick Zan would not have earned its reputation as one of the greatest assassins in the world by making mistakes.

Calmly, the transmuted illithid loaded its hand crossbow. Calmly, the assassin took aim at Rhys Thurn’s exposed neck.

Calmly, Yarrick Zan pulled the trigger.

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Chapter 39

The poisoned crossbow bolt tore through the air toward Rhys like a shark bearing down on a wounded seal. The cleric seemed unaware of his impending doom, getting ready to cast another spell. Before the first words left his lips, the bolt hit. With a clang of metal, it skipped off his breastplate and clattered harmlessly to the snow.

Yarrick Zan blinked.

It had missed.

Torm must truly like that one, the assassin thought acerbically. Already its presence had been revealed, and Rhys was directing his magical hand of force towards Zan. The mind flayer dodged away, but not fast enough as the enormous hand closed around it in a powerful grapple. Staying now would be a mistake, and Yarrick Zan would not have earned its reputation as one of the greatest assassins in the world by making mistakes.

Concentrating on its innate powers, the assassin plane shifted away.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The unexpected attack by the strange half-elf woman had taken Rhys by surprise, but fortunately he had been able to drive her off without incident. Then, it was only a matter of time before last remaining ice golems succumbed to the party's spells and swords.

The priest turned to regard Taigiel, who was nursing a bruised shoulder. Though he had reserved some initial doubts about the half-dragon, it seemed now he had finally proved where his heart lay. "Taigiel, I wish to thank you for your aid. You are an extremely skilled warrior and I'm glad you're with us."

Taigiel grunted in acknowledgment. "I am sorry I was unable to aid your companions. They were ambushed by an assassin. He slew them and fled before I could get to him. I am sorry." The half-dragon looks down at the bodies of Grundar and Terenon. "The appearance of those golems means that Acessiwal knows we are coming. He must have spies about town that tipped him off. It won't be safe for us to stay here much longer."

Rhys nodded. "Jelani, do you have a teleport spell prepared? We need to get out of here."

“I do have a teleport," replied Jelani, "so let’s load them into the portable hole and get ready to go. I don’t know how much we have in the way of disposable funds after the last time, but maybe they’ll give us a deal. We do seem to be frequent customers there!”

Nobody seemed to appreciate his attempt at levity.

Grundar...

A voice was calling his name. It sounded vaguely familiar.

Grundar, come back...

This wasn't the same voice as the first one though. What had that voice said? Something about business. It didn't matter. The light ahead was bright, and he could smell the fresh scent of pine trees, the laughter and song of the elves.

Grundar, come back...

Wait. A nagging doubt lingered in his mind. The first voice. Something about it. An image of tentacles? He turned away from the light, and in an instant memory came flooding back in a rush, a raging torrent akin to a river bursting through a dam. He wanted to scream. He did scream.

"Yarrick!"

Grundar sat bolt upright on the stone slab. He was panting heavily, confused as to his surroundings. Then he saw the face of the high priest of Torm at the temple in Silverymoon, and he understood. He had died.

"Welcome back, my friend," the priest said gently.

The elf reached one hand to the back of his head, feeling for holes. Finding none, he snarled as he slid off the slab and proceeded to get dressed. "Where's my rapier? I'm gonna skewer that pile of mucous!" He continued to spit choice curses, much to the chagrin of the priest.

A slight relief filled him as he saw the others waiting in the foyer: Allanon, Jelani, Rhys, Rumar, the still-disguised Taigiel, and a subdued Terenon. "Did you get that bastard Yarrick Zan? It was him, right?" He noticed Terenon's sullen expression. "You got nailed too? What happened?"

Jelani nodded to Grundar as he came bursting into the room. “Zan was involved? That does explain a bit what happened, but I couldn't say for sure. The assassin is still out there somewhere; we were attacked by some more golems. As it turns out it was a fortunate turn of events, as many gemstones were incorporated into their bodies. That, combined with Rumar’s generosity, allowed us to return the pair of you to the living with relative ease. I believe that perhaps we should find a nice safe spot to talk about how we should proceed from here. It is obvious that we cannot proceed like we have been. Our adversary seems to be predicting our movements.”

As if on cue, Rhys stiffened and looked to a point above Taigiel's head. "We're being watched!" he hissed.

Grundar's hand move to his rapier hilt as he looked around him, ready for another attack. He waited for several minutes, tensed in anticipation for a fight, but nothing came. No creatures appeared from the ether to attack, no golems pounded down the temple doors and entered. Eventually, he relaxed. "What was that about?" he asked.

"Scrying sensor," said Terenon bitterly. "It's gone now."

"I think we should head to somewhere a bit safer," mused Jelani. "After all, we’ve things to discuss; and I could use a bit of rest after that battle.”

Taigiel fidgeted with his hat of disguise. "I hate masquerading around as something I'm not. Let's go to this private place so I can take this damn thing off. I've never been in this region before. You know better than I where we should go."

"The mage's guild," said Terenon. "Join hands."

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Graywolf-ELM said:
Good update, bad assassin. I swear I've read somewhere about him, am I imagining it?

GW

No, you're not imagining things. At least not this particular thing. Yarrick Zan first appeared in "Enemies and Allies," the 3.0 splatbook of NPCs. He's the only NPC in that book that ever managed to find a way into one of my games. I still want to use "The Claw" some time because they're just so ridiculous. :)

EDIT: 666 posts Greywolf! Yikes! ;)

Soooooooooooooooon.................

Soon now. Very soon my precious. Won't be long now till we see two new players make their appearance into the game. Both of which are a "good" :D addition.

Last edited:

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Chapter 40

"Yarrick Zan's existence is intolerable to our future endeavors," said Terenon. "The dragon is no longer my main concern."

Terenon and the others were gathered in the mage's quarters at the guild in Silverymoon, in a room that was proof against scrying. The others fidgeted about, still shaken by their recent experiences. Grundar especially seemed paranoid.

"What about that guy scrying on us? Any way to return the favor?" the elf asked.

"Who would I scry on?" the mage responded irritably. "I need a subject to attempt for, and I have no idea the mage that is behind it. I'm sure he is the one that hired Zan."

"Perhaps it was the dragon itself," mused Rhys. "He'd be able to know if the golems went looking for Taigiel and would be interesred in his location. Or it might have been the githyanki mage who left with that rod, back in the Selskar Vale. She'd have a chance to know about Yarrick as the beholder knew about him. We know what the rod can do and that might not be information she'd want out."

"Right now I am more concerned about finances," Terenon continued. "In order to go after Zan I will need to buy some spells, possibly create some magic items. I could create and sell some magic items to gain the money I need, but that will take time."

"You seem fairly bent on tracking him down all by yourself," said Jelani. "You’re an intelligent, powerful man Terenon. Why not just do what everyone else does and hire yourself a professional? If you want him to die by your hands, then have him held until you get a chance to wring every last bit of life from his body…as slowly, or quickly as you like. But there’s no need to be stupid about this. After all, hiring a professional worked on you.”

Terenon broke into a smile. He laughed heartily at Jelani's suggestion. "What symmetry. What irony. Such a simple solution, and yet my anger masked it from me. Maybe I should hire Zan to assassinate himself..." He laughed again. "Yes a hireling, a very special hireling. A githyanki illithiad slayer, perhaps. He could capture Zan and hold him for... something special."

Rumar watched and listened silently as Terenon openly declared his plans of slaying Zan--amongst other things. Sadly, the paladin shook his head and closed his eyes, speaking without looking at the mage. "A dragon endangers countless lives, yet you are so blinded by your thirst for revenge that you would let the beast continue it's plans solely so you may inflict no doubt monstrous amounts of pain upon one who has wronged you. You wish to kill Zan not because he is a danger, but simply because he has harmed you. I ask you again, Terenon," Rumar said quietly, opening his eyes to stare at the other, "What would my sister think?"

Terenon arched an eyebrow at Rumar. He rose from the plush chair and walked over to the paladin. He couldn't remember the last time he saw the paladin sit. He was an odd one. Standing in front of his love's brother, Terenon folded his arms and cocked his head quizzically at him. "Serilla understands that she is my heart. She understands you do not approve of me. She understands that you will ascribe sinister motives to whatever plan or action I might take.

"The dragon is a great threat to the realm, this is true. It is my duty by the power I wield to ensure balance and stop him. I could just as easily leave the world of man to its own devices, but I choose to champion it. Zan is a danger that cannot be ignored. His mere existance threatens all of our plans. The prudent choice is to eliminate Yarrick before he decimates us once and for all. I know you will never agree with me on any issue, but I care little. I do what must be done."

"I do not care if you kill Zan," Rumar replied steadily. "I do not care if you wait to slay the dragon. Why would I? I won't try to dismiss the risk the illithid poses. All I care about, mage, is whether or not you decide to capture and torture him first."

Terenon laughed and smiled at Rumar. "Who said anything about torture? I am far more imaginative than you give me credit for. He will be punished, but let me assure you the punishment will be just."

"That is precisely what I am worried about, mage. Call it punishment if you will, justify it how you like - torture is your intent all the same, be it with searing brand or magical prison. Know that I will actively work to impede or undo what you plan if I disagree with it. Somehow," Rumar snorted, "I find it hard to believe I won't disagree with it."

Terenon gave the paladin a dismissive wave. "You act as if I care. Yes, I'm the dangerous one you need to keep a sharp eye out for...somehow I think you would care very little about what I do with Zan, had I not been dating your sister. Do what you must Rumar, and I will do the same."

"My friends," Rhys said. "Your words aren't fitting of either of you. This type of divisive talk is just what our enemies are hoping for."

"There is no such thing as acceptable torture," Rumar replied flatly, glaring at Rhys, angry that he's intervened. "If the mage does more than simply kill Zan, as he has implied, I will intervene. To do otherwise would go against my very moral code.

"And mage - I have long since given up on trying to stop you and my sister. I think you are dangerous and impulsive. I think that we will likely end up having to fight over our different views. I think that if your end goal wasn't so important, it'd be much better if I left right now. Nonetheless, I am staying, and if you wish to be with my sister, do so. That is your and her business, not mine.

"Furthermore, were what you say true, mage," Rumar continued, folding his arms across his chest, "if I did so desperately want you not to be with her that I would do anything to stop you, I would have simply let the rest sell whatever they could have scraped together to ressurrect your battered corpse. Instead, I dipped into the coins I had set aside for Pergium's spiritual growth. Because that is what my sister would have wanted."

“Enough!” Jelani shouted, his voice cracking the air like thunder. “You both act like fools. Terenon, you seek to eliminate Zan as if he were your enemy. Take a moment to think! The assassin cares nothing for you, he is simply a tool, wielded by another. Would you count a sword, an arrow, or a spell used by your foes as an enemy?

"And you Rumar; all know of your position on this issue. Tell me, how did you expect to find out that Terenon had tortured his prisoner; do you think he would send you an invitation?” The theurge snorted; his expression a cross between anger and contempt. “I tire of your constant bickering. There are more important things to think about here. And I do not care to give our enemies more time to plan another attack. Every minute we spend arguing is another that furthers their cause. So you two will either find a way to settle this thing now, or I shall deal with Zan myself. And I promise; neither of you will be happy with how I would go about it.”

"Somehow, Jelani," Rumar replied dryly, clearly less than rebuked by the other man's words, "I find it hard to believe I would find your way of handling Zan worse than whatever that one hopes to inflict. As for your demand...as I see it, there is no need for things to be "resolved" just yet. I will only take action once the mage goes through with one of our many points of disagreement."

All this time, Taigiel had listened with slowly mounting frustration. But he had heard enough, and the half-dragon abruptly stood from his seat, baring his fangs. "We have suffered too many delays already. Tomorrow I head for Coldheart, even if I have to walk all the way back there from Silverymoon. Even if I have to go alone. My father must die."

For all his continued aggression, Rumar did look suitably ashamed once Taigiel's snapped; after all, there was a very strong reason for why things hadn't come to blows thus far. "You are right. I should not have even bothered to voice my thoughts on the matter, especially now of all times. To think that the mage would have changed his plans merely because I told him to was foolish of me. To do so when it jepordized our mission at its core all the worse.

"I will go with Taigiel come the morning. The dragon is the greater threat; his son an important ally. Much as I would stop the mage from whatever he plans, I cannot let turn my back on what we came here to do. If you are still so intent on your plans, mage," the aasimar finished quietly, "Then it is clear I will not be about to stop you."

Terenon sniffed disdainfully as he turned away. ""Don't you have to go and self-flagellate for some minor ethical infractions or something? Your company has become so tiresome."

"I have set aside my personal concerns, mage, in respect of Taigiel and the threat his father holds," Rumar responded. There was no insult or mockery hidden beneath his words--though there was now a weariness. A great weariness. "Will you not do the same? If merely for the moment? When it comes down to it, I tire of this circular fighting," he muttered, touching three fingers to the front of his helmet, where his forehead must have been. "I must meditate and converse alone with Pergium on what has happened today; the golems, the mage, and the assassin all bear much consideration. Consideration that I doubt I can clearly undergo here. Regardless of what I decide, tomorrow I will go to seek out the dragon alongside our ally. I will not stop any of you who wish to seek out Zan, though I beg any of you who are still focused on that task to reconsider. If merely for the moment."

Taigiel nodded with a sense of finality. "Tomorrow we will teleport north of Latona and head straight for the Mect Cliffs. They are roughly fifty miles north of the city; it will take us two days to get there. We cannot keep retreating like we have been. It is evident that we are being watched, and it will likely be safer out in the open tundra. With no easy landmarks, they will have difficulty finding us even with scrying. Do what you must tonight. Come the morrow, there is no turning back."

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Chapter 41

As the others dispersed to various places for the night, Grundar quietly approached Terenon. "I'm in the same boat with you Terenon.. Obviously, Zan has to be dealt with.. For one, we don't know his employer. It could be the dragon, or it could be the gith, as a result of us messing up their plan in the Vale. As long as his employer lives, we will still be in danger. What do you have in mind to deal with Zan?"

Terenon relaxed back onto the plush chair in his guild quarters and began to spin his ideas at Grundar. "I know a poet named Helios. He is a scoundrel and a naive with many connections, but I trust him.” Seing the perplexed look on Grundar's face, Terenon continued in more detail. "He's my mother's lover. My parents are very metropolitan. I will ask Helios to aid me to hire Zan for a special job. Of course, Zan will not know it's me he is doing the job for. I will recruit Zan to retrieve a gem for me from a merchant. Which merchant, you are saying to yourself. It doesn't matter. The gem is important. The gem will be magicked to capture Zan body and soul.

"Once captured, I can safely take possession of his body and infiltrate the dragon’s lair. The will see only Zan because it is his true form. With a mind blank spell up, no divination will show it is really me. At an opportune moment, I can slide the tide of battle in our favor. The best part is when Zans body dies, so does Zan. I will need to part with some magic items to put the plan into effect. It will cost a great deal of money."

Grundar stared at Terenon as he laid out his plan. Scratching the side of his head, he said, "That sounds like a risky plan. First off, how do we know if Zan was hired by the dragon? As I said, it could be the gith. We made some powerful enemies recently, and any one of them could want us dead.”

"It is a risky plan, I know,” the wizard replied, “but you know me. I like to turn any situation into an advantage if I can. We know that Zan was hired by the dragon or one of his minions by the fact that there were ice golems at the ambush as well. It is not a coincidence."

Grundar frowned. “Okay, but as for possessing the body of a mind flayer…that's way out of my league. Have you possessed another body before? I haven't, and I wouldn't know how to use it even if I did.”

"I have never possessed a body, but I am wizard of some power. Given enough setup I can do it in relative safety, and once he is trapped...I can do that."

The elf scratched his head again. “Can't we just do this the normal way? Hunt him down and take him out?"

"We could do this the normal way, but for me it is an opportunity that is hard to pass up,” Terenon’s eyes glittered. “I will have to do it alone. I don't want to risk you or any others in the group to the danger."

"I will support you in whatever way you need me to," Grundar patted Terenon on the back, smiling ruefully. "We've been through alot together, I wouldn't want to miss out on getting even with Zan. If your plan succeeds, it'll be the stories of bards all over the realm."

Rhys arranged a bath and a room for the evening at the temple of Torm. He asked for an ewer of water and some scented oils to ritually purrify himself first. When done, he put on an initiate’s robe and went into the room for prayer and meditation. The priest kneeled and thought of Torm, of his duty to his companions and to his god. His duty to the forces of Good.

An image came to his mind. A harbor. Two giants are in the harbor fighting. Rhys is on the docks watching. It was from his past. It was Tantras harbor.

The gods Bane and Torm, cast down from the heavens during the Time of Troubles, were locked in mortal combat. Hundreds of Torm’s followers were poised on the docks, ready to make the ultimate sacrifice to lend their god the strength needed to defeat his foe. Among those followers, Rhys’ parents.

The priest ran up to them, tears streaming down his face. “You don’t have to do this!” he wailed. “Please, don’t leave me!”

Rhys’ father smiled sadly down at him. Though he didn’t speak, words flowed through Rhys’ mind. Being a priest isn't a job of convienece. Sometimes tough choices present themselves. To solve them you must believe in yourself as much, if not more, than in Torm. Our deaths are nothing when compared to the good that's accomplished. The time may come when you may have to make a similar sacrifice. Remember that as long as you live in the hearts of others, you will never truly die.

An enormous wave washed over the docks, washing away all that stood upon it. And washing away the vision from Rhys’ mind. The aasimar gasped slightly, holding on to his dragon-headed staff for balance. He would need to meditate on this further.

Rumar headed off toward his room at the temple, though he did so in a circuitous manner. Frankly, the paladin had no desire right now to talk with anyone he knows...nonetheless "certain" people.

Once he'd settled down within his room, the door shut behind him, Rumar's affairs were his own. Those walking by did hear one-half of a conversation echoing through the closed door, albeit one that made little sense. Even when the talking occasionally escalated into outright shouting, it's still less than clear what's going on in there.

"The decision is mine to make! Not yours! You are to watch! To listen! No more!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“This is what you wanted to show me?” growled Taigiel in surprise. Jelani had left the half-dragon down into the basement of the temple of Torm. The temperature in this particular corner was sweltering, necessary to support the valuable objects supported by the viscous fluid they floated in. Taigiel peered at the mottled eggs the adventurers had recovered from the old barracks house in the Selskar Vale weeks ago.

“Somebody has to watch over them,” Jelani said, smiling. “I thought that since you are part dragon, you might know something about eggs.”

“I was birthed the same as any other humanoid,” the half-dragon replied. “I did not hatch from an egg. It was quite painful for my mother.”

“I can imagine,” the mystic theurge said lightly. Taigiel whirled on him angrily, and Jelani raised his hands in a placating gesture. “Sorry.”

Taigiel snorted and turned back to the eggs, leaning closer to inspect them. “These eggs are stranged. They look like red dragon eggs, but they are mottled, and small.”

“We think they’re the eggs of half-dragon githyanki,” Jelani explained.

“Abominations,” Taigiel spat, “like me. We should destroy them now and spare them a life of misery.”

“Is that what you wish?” Jelani asked softly. “Do you wish you were never born?”

Taigiel fixed him with a withering stare, but said nothing. The theurge continued. “Had you never been born, things might have been better. Your mother surely would have been spared much pain and heartbreak, and you yourself would not have suffered from the prejudice that plagues your life. But then you would also not be around to combat the evils of your father. Even now we move to end his reign of terror, and you will play an integral role in the battles to come.

“Every new being is a blank slate. Even the most villainous of monsters can become a great force of good in the world. That is what we hope to accomplish here. Raised properly, these dracogiths could be bastions of strength for those in need. Like you yourself have become, whether you realize it or not. So do not begrudge your existence, Taigiel. Be proud of what you will accomplish.”

Taigiel gazed at the mottled eggs, contemplating Jelani’s words. He stood vigil long into the night, ensuring no harm came to them.

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Chapter 42

Terenon bustled about the city of Silverymoon, procuring items and making the preliminary preparations for his plans. Night had fallen by the time he was finished, and his pack was full as he made his way through the streets to the home of Serrila Destare.

He knocked on the door and was surprised when someone besides Serrila answers it. Instead of the aasimar sorceress, the girl who opened the door was Lisa LaBurton. She was clad in a thin nightrobe, and her chestnut hair endearingly framed her face.

The girl's eyes widened when she saw Terenon and she began to blush a deep red. She scampered back a bit behind the door, covering herself with the wooden barrier and averting her eyes to hide her embarassment.

"Terenon? I--we didn't expect you tonight. What are you doing back? That is, um, I don't mean to me rude. Sorry--you caught me a bit off guard." She smiled sheepishly.

Terenon's eyebrow shot up as he watched the young girl scamper back into the room. It was the last sight he expected to see. What was she doing here in Serrila's room and why did she wear attire better suited for a marriage bed? Terenon felt the sinking feeling of betrayal.

No, he thought, there must be some sort of logical explaination. Terenon entered the room and shuts the door. He chose his next words carefully. "We had a bit of trouble and I needed to... Where is Serrila anyway? Is she here tonight?"

Lisa nodded, her eyes still focused on the ground. "Yeah, she's here. She's taking a bath getting ready for bed. Deirdriel went out of town yesterday, and she asked Serrila to take care of me until she gets back. I guess Deir didn't want me to be unsupervised in her tower. Excuse me a moment."

She ducked into a room and emerged a short time later with a heavy robe covering her better than the nightgown did. She gestured to the couch. "So, what happened? Are you alright?" She looked at Terenon, concern evident in her eyes.

Terenon began to visibly relax. He sat on the couch and looked up to meet Lisa's eyes. "We ran into a bit of trouble," the mage said. "An ambush; it was not good, but all is well now. My plans have changed focus and I need to tie up some loose ends. I thought I might visit with Serrila before I leave tomorrow."

Lisa smiled warmly. "I'm glad everybody is okay," she said, taking a seat in a chair across from Terenon. She drew her knees up onto the chair and wrapped her arms around them, looking at the mage thoughtfully. "My studies are going well. Deirdriel is a very good teacher, and we're finally getting to some real spells. I never thought I'd ever be able to master the arcane arts, but Deir says I'm a natural at magic. I'm going to be a powerful wizard some day. Like you. I'm going to make a name for myself in this world."

Terenon had the very same thoughts when he was a teenager. He had been obsessive on the subject of proving himself. Who was he kidding, he still was. He smiled wearly at Lisa and said, "Be careful what you wish for. Anonymity has its benefits as well."

Terenon knew too well. He had distanced himself from the legacy of his family and embraced a new persona all his own. He had pushed himself to become a more powerful spellcaster and his fame had begun to spread. What had it gotten him? Two gruesome deaths and powerful enemies. "Just remember that everything has its price."

Lisa continued to look at Terenon, considering his words. She looked as if she was about to say something else, but then Serrila entered the room, clad in a bathrobe and with a towel wrapped around her head. At the sight of Terenon, Serrila abruptly stopped and drew in a surprised breath. "Terenon? What are you doing back already?" She smiled then. "Missed me too much, did you?"

She moved over to the couch and gave Terenon a kiss, apparently more interested in seeing her lover returned than the explanation of why he had returned. Though distracted, the mage noticed Lisa looking distinctly uncomfortable in front of the act of love.

Terenon's mind was split between observing Lisa's reaction and the sweet taste of Serrila. He decided that his suspicions needed to be buried for now. He didn't have the energy for an investigation or a fight. All things could be sorted out in the morning...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue-white sparks flew as the edge of the night-black blade clashed against the head of the enormous axe, turning the weapon aside. The half-dragon Samakel allowed himself a savage grin as he brought his sword back up before his foe, a doughty frost giant warrior nearly twice his size, could react. The blade tore open a wicked gouge from the giant’s knee nearly to his crotch. The enormous warrior bellowed in rage as his white-scaled opponent spun away from the counter assault. Samakel’s blade faintly throbbed in his hand as blood dripped off its tip, almost as if it relished the feel of the giant’s flesh giving way before it.

This, of course, was because it did.

“You toy with this one, my love,” the sibilant voice of Lifetaker purred even as the half-dragon parried another attack from the giant. He ducked beneath the giant’s reach opened another terrible wound, this time across his stomach. The giant stumbled back, waving his axe before him with one hand while trying to hold in his innards with the other.

Samakel nodded with satisfaction at his handiwork. “Patience,” he replied to the magical sword. “Let me have my fun before you slake your thirst.”

Lifetaker throbbed again in Samakel’s grasp, though this time it communicated consternation rather than pleasure. “Always you make me wait. Always my satisfaction is delayed for yours.”

Samakel growled in his throat as he launched a blinding of series of attacks against the giant, forcing him back against the wall and opening numerous minor wounds all along his body.”That is because I am your master,” the half-dragon said. “You serve me, not the other way around. You will drink when I decide you will drink!”

The frost giant raised his axe in a last-ditch attempt to try to save his own life, but Samakel had anticipated this movement, though, was almost disappointed by it. This giant was no better than the countless others he had slain over the years: so predictable, so easy to dispatch. Sighing, the half-dragon moved quicker than he yet had, thrusting Lifetaker point-first up and into the giant’s chest, burying it nearly to the hilt. The giant gasped and dropped his axe, nerveless fingers feebly scrabbling at the blade.

Lifetaker began to pulse now, and with each pulse, the giant’s skin began to wither and and wrinkle, taking on the consistency of worn leather. His screams of pain grew weaker as the sword drank from him, sucking at his very soul. “Aah! Aaaaah!” The blade nearly moaned with pleasure. Samakel watched with detached interest as the giant toppled over, nothing but a withered husk. He moved over and grabbed the blade, pulling it out of the giant’s chest.

Applause sounded from the end of the room, where Akasa the marilith had watched the battle. Her six hands clapped in unison as Samakel wiped the blood off his sword and returned it to its sheath.

“Well done!” the demon called, a hungry gleam in her eyes. “So much blood and violence! You certainly know how to get a girl worked up.”

Samakel chuckled as he strode over to the snake-woman. The demon’s form began to shift even as he did so, and by the time he reached her she had taken the appearance of a human woman of exquisite proportions, her fiery red hair framing a perfect face. Half-dragon and demoness embraced, and Akasa took up Samakel in a passionate kiss, her tongue slipping into his reptilian maw, his arms roaming her voluptuous body. The marilith’s passions were high after witnessing the battle, and it was with great effort that Samakel eventually extracted himself from the embrace.

“A moment,” the half-dragon said gruffly, unfazed by Akasa’s resulting pout. “Have you learned more about what Helios is about?”

Akasa shook her head, sighing. “That one is canny. He has thus far resisted my advances, and I have been unable to pry his plans from his mind. For the moment, at least, his motives coincide with your father’s, and he is legitimately trying to stop the adventurers.”

“Hmph,” said Samakel. “His plans of late have met with failure. You must convince my father to get the wizard to use his ace in the hole.”

Akasa seemed surprised, but she smiled nonetheless, a wolf’s grin. She was a creature of chaos, and that was what she thrived on. “The girl? It is early yet. He may very well bring the full force of the adventurers down on himself.”

Samakel returned her smile. “That is what I intend. The adventurers will come here and eliminate Helios, then we will destroy them and regain Acessiwal’s favor. Lifetaker will have quite the feast when that day comes.”

Akasa giggled, a sound tinged with malice. “Delightful. Shall we…retire your quarters?”

Samakel grinned toothily and took once last glance at the dead frost giant. “The ogres will take care of him. I’ll take care of you.”

Akasa pulled him close, and with a flash of light, they were gone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helios swore softly to himself as he paced around the chamber. Even with their reduced numbers, the adventurers had still managed to fend off, even destroy, four of his creations. They had teleported away shortly thereafter, back to Silverymoon as his scrying had revealed. They were on the path now, though. Acessiwal’s wayward son Taigiel was leading them to Coldheart, and it would only be a few more days before they arrived.

Yarrick Zan had collected its payment and left, presumably to warmer and safer climes. The assassin had managed to take out two of his targets, but had only succeeded in setting the adventurers back in time and money. Acessiwal had not been willing to pay the exorbitant price to hire the assassin again, and now had ordered the wizard to play his trump card. It wasn’t the time! If he went through with it now, the whole plan might be thrown off! But there was nothing he could do: the dragon would have him slain if he defied its will. He had no choice.

The black-robed wizard waved his hand over the crystal ball in the purple worm-shaped pedestal, conjuring an image of his favored scrying subject of late. The image coalesced into a young girl with chestnut hair curled up on a plush chair: the former street urchin Lisa LaBurton. A few months ago, the wizard had cast several divinations, the results of which revealed that the girl’s path would soon intertwine with those who were fated to destroy the Firebringer. Thinking that it would be good to keep on eye on them, the mage had begun to formulate a plan.

Acessiwal had wanted to call the marilith Akasa to the Prime Material Plane so that he could enter negotiations to secure the aid of Graz’zt’s demonic army. The marilith was a favored servant of the Dark Lord, and her calling would definitely raise attention from both infernal and celestial powers. He had to find some way to distract these other forces. That involved sacrificing a powerful artifact he had had in his possession for some time, an artifact that he knew was valuable, but that he had no practical use for: the Eye of Night’s Embrace. Once it left his possession, Helios knew that the forces of Heaven and Hell would immediately strive to recover it, and in so doing blind themselves to the calling of Akasa.

Helios had traveled to Baldur’s Gate and placed the gem in his pouch, in easy reach of Lisa LaBurton’s pick-pocketing fingers. The contact with the urchin gave him what he needed to make the scrying process easy and reliable. Through her, he could keep tabs on the adventurers and track their progress.

But now, because of Acessiwal’s orders, all that was coming to an end. It was time to take action, and Helios knew the perfect minion through which to act…

Lisa sighed tiredly as she pulled the sheets up to her chest, snuggling into a more comfortable position. The moon hung high in the sky, sending beams of light playing across the room and the girl’s delicate features. She brushed a wayward strand of chestnut hair from her face, her thoughts focused on her miraculous change of fortune, as they often were these days. Not two months ago Lisa had been eking out a meager existence in Baldur’s Gate, a street rat and pickpocket who had to steal to survive. All that changed the fateful day she had accidentally swiped the Eye of Night’s Embrace from that wizard. That act had set into motion the chain of events that had led to the arrival of her saviors, the ones who had taken her to a better life here in Silverymoon.

Brave men they were, and handsome to boot. Especially Terenon. The mage had been the one who had protected Lisa when the ice devil attacked, keeping her safe behind a wall of magical force while the others dealt with the infernal creature. Though Grundar’s outlook on things more closely matched her own, Lisa did not fancy the much-older elf as she did Terenon. Often she would watch him and Serrila flirt and cavort about, stealing a few jealous stares at the way the man obviously cared for the sorceress. Lisa knew her jealousy was irrational, that she would never be able to come between the two lovers, but that did not stop her from picturing Terenon’s face late at night, fantasizing about his arms wrapped around her and his lips on hers.

Lisa suddenly shivered beneath the sheets, feeling gooseflesh rising up beneath her thin bedclothes. The temperature in the room had suddenly dropped, and the girl was a bit surprised to see her breath coming out in misty bursts. A feeling of dread welled up within her heart, as if a malevolent presence had suddenly drawn near. She drew in a breath to call for Serrila, hoping the aasimar would know what to do, but the breath caught in her throat as the creature appeared at the foot of the bed.

It loomed over her, horribly familiar. It looked like a tall, bipedal insect with clawed hands and feet, powerful mandibles, and a long, thick tail covered in razor-sharp spikes. Lisa knew the truth though: it was an ice devil, in fact the very same ice devil that Terenon had saved her from months ago. Only this time, Terenon was not here. Lisa’s eyes widened and she willed her limbs to move, willed herself to flee from this horrid creature! But she could do nothing but cower before the devil’s might, paralyzed by the supernatural fear it exuded!

The ice devil’s features curled up in a wicked grin, reveling in the girl’s terror. Its mandibles clacked together in glee as it leveled its wicked spear at her chest. “You have caused me great irritation, Lisa LaBurton,” the creature intoned. “I will take great satisfaction from dragging your soul to Hell.”

Tears streaming down her face, Lisa let out a shrill scream as the spear plunged toward her heart.

Remove ads