DM gone player needs help!

Hurin

First Post
I haven't actually rolled up a character in ages ... and here I am about to embark on an adventure as a PC!

I need some advice on how to build a better Fighter/Sorceror©.
I have a fantastic little peice of fiction written for this fellow and would dearly like to get a grip on how to achieve a reasonable amount of pain distibution via melee combat.

Heres what I have thus far:

Scores: (in no particular order)

Feat selection (of three); Fullblade proficiency. If this guys eventually gonna grow wings and breathe fire he needs a sizeable sword to represent his 'heritage'. :D
Toughness is a requirement of the Dragon Disciple prestige class, but that can be taken between now and 5th level whenever I get the slot available.

My plan had been to begin his career as a 1st level Fighter and then progress as needed through to Sorceror and back again. But then I read the Dragon Disciple Prestige class, in the Tome and Blood sourcebook.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how many Fighter levels I should take in opposition to the mandatory Sorceror level for the prestige class. The concept is essentially to build an interesting melee combatant, using spells like Magic Weapon, True Strike and Mage armour to bolster his combat abilities, and not weigh himself down with mortally worked-iron.

Last edited:

Thistleknot

First Post
Well, lets see....

You have fairly average stats. Joe Average becomes a dragon. =) I would arrange them like this for combat effectiveness.

Str-14 +2
Dex-13 +1
Con-14 +2
Int-12 +1
Wis-12 +1
Cha-12 +1

Exotic Weapon Proficiency- Fullblade
Weapon Focus Fullblade
Combat Casting or Toughness

Quick Question: Did you get permission from your DM to use a fullblade? By the errata for Sword and Fist, it is only useable by Large or bigger creatures, which means you will need to have a backup weapon until you get your size increase, unless your DM has no problem with a medium size creature using it.

0th- Light
Resistance
Other cantrips of your choice

1st- True Strike
Shield

Skill points in Concentration to cast in the middle of combat.

Ability score increases should probably go into Str, Con, or Cha, depending on what you want to do with your character.

Your spells should be picked to increase your combat effectiveness. That means that most of the time you won't be casting spells on opponents, so your charisma score would not need to be high. Your charisma, as placed, limits you to second level spells, however.

I would look into Mithril Armor as soon as I could, as it has a lowers the weight of metal armor by half and the arcane spell failure by 10%. A mithril chain shirt would do wonders by allowing you to take advantage of armor special abilities while limiting you to a spell failure rate of only 10%.

One question you might want to ask is: How many caster levels do I want? What spells do I want to cast?

If you want fewer spells at your disposal, and rely mostly on fighting ability, go fewer levels of sorcerer and more of fighter. If the idea of a half-dragon fighter polymorphing into a cloud giant makes you get all wiggly-happy inside, then go more sorcerer levels. Just bear in mind that those spells come in starting at Sorcerer level 8, and they require a minimum 14 Cha.

Since you have a low score for Charisma, Dragon Disciple is an ideal choice because you get bonus spell slots. You may not know how to cast many spells, but you can cast them many times with the extra slots. This is especially handy if you don't want to go very high in sorcerer levels.

As far as feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, and Improved Critical would take good advantage of the strength increases that you will get from Dragon Disciple and the high damage from the Fullblade.

Just a few suggestions. Enjoy your interesting character!

Hurin

First Post
Fullblade blues.

I hadn't read the errata yet. Dangit, ah well I'll have to digress to the Greatsword ... :D

Thanks very much for the advice!

Remove ads